2021 Baker thread

ReggieCamp

2 minutes ago, brownie man said:

So does Baker request a trade or does he run it back with us? 

Would you if you were him?

Not would you if you were in his position but if you lived his life and sacrificed what he has and dedicated himself to his team just to have them prove that they don't think you are the answer?

Why delay the inevitable? May as well get your 2nd chapter started sooner.

I hope he stays, does great and this is just a crazy story 15 years from now from our SB winning QB but realistically, it isn't going to happen if it's any time soon while the cut is still bleeding. 

3 minutes ago, Thomas5737 said:

I’d assess my options and see who gives me the best chance at success.

I think he’d be hard pressed to find a better situation imo.

If all Baker wanted was to be a part of this organization he should have accepted the extension offered to him last year.

But this is a business.

8 minutes ago, Thomas5737 said:

I maintain that the Browns screwed this one up. With that said, I don’t know what has going on behind closed doors, conversations between Mayfield and Stefanski, etc. But I do believe that it’s in the best interests of both the Browns and Baker Mayfield to kiss and make up and stick together in year five. I think Mayfield has a better chance of succeeding next year, in his contract year, running it back with the same organization, with another upgrade or two coming to help out, as opposed to going somewhere like the Texans etc. 

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, LETSGOBROWNIES said:

If all Baker wanted was to be a part of this organization he should have accepted the extension offered to him last year.

But this is a business.

The reality for Baker is that he needs this 5th year to go well every bit as much if not much moreso than the Browns do, and where else is he going to land that has the roster that we do with a system he understands/has been in for multiple years?

MAYBE the Colts with that OL, running game, and Frank Reich?

2 minutes ago, LETSGOBROWNIES said:

But this is a business.

Better for who though? The passing offense scheme last year was total garbage. The passing game weapons are not great. Sure there is a chance to win and win a playoff game but you are still looked at as average or worse and get zero credit from the majority. 

The roster isn't as great as we think it is. It's great compared to what we're used to but we have Chubb on offense that is special. No one else. Garrett is special, Ward is when healthy. 

If any other player on the roster was replaced with an average guy it would have no effect. JOK maybe but we'll have to see how and how often he is used.

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, Thomas5737 said:

Better for who though?

I think your opinion of Baker is higher than most.  I’m a fan, but I can still acknowledge a lot of our issues were in part due to him.  

The passing offense scheme last year was total garbage.

Yeah, it wasn’t great.

The passing game weapons are not great. Sure there is a chance to win and win a playoff game but you are still looked at as average or worse and get zero credit from the majority. 

Maybe.  Definitely possible.

The roster isn't as great as we think it is. It's great compared to what we're used to but we have Chubb on offense that is special. No one else. Garrett is special, Ward is when healthy. 

Eh, it’s pretty good.  We have an elite OL, elite backfield, very good defensive backfield and arguably the DPOTY front runner.  It’s competitive.

If any other player on the roster was replaced with an average guy it would have no effect. JOK maybe but we'll have to see how and how often he is used.

I think you could say this about most teams.

I’m a Baker fan and think he didn’t have a ton to work with either, but I think you see him through rosier glasses than pretty much everyone else. And maybe you’re right, but I don’t know there are a lot of teams that are clamoring for Baker to be their guy who are positioned better than we are.

1 hour ago, LETSGOBROWNIES said:

I think your opinion of Baker is higher than most.  I’m a fan, but I can still acknowledge a lot of our issues were in part due to him.  

Yeah, it wasn’t great.

Maybe.  Definitely possible.

Eh, it’s pretty good.  We have an elite OL, elite backfield, very good defensive backfield and arguably the DPOTY front runner.  It’s competitive.

I think you could say this about most teams.

I’m a Baker fan and think he didn’t have a ton to work with either, but I think you see him through rosier glasses than pretty much everyone else. And maybe you’re right, but I don’t know there are a lot of teams that are clamoring for Baker to be their guy who are positioned better than we are.

Baker is what he has been thus far because that is what it is. Mostly underwhelming.  He is an uptempo QB who is extremely accurate in that system. We have never really tried it with him under any coach. The closest thing was down the stretch in 2020 but that didn't last long. 

I just think with the right system... nothing complicated and you don't have to take any routes off of the table because he can make all of the throws, he is a probowl QB every year. If we are never going to run an offense like that why waste his talents and our time. With the system we used last year with the personnel we need a Tom Brady with Lamar Jackson athleticism to make that passing game work. Maybe we thought Watson was close enough to that and that's why we went after him but my goodness if we don't have a coaching staff that can adjust to their players, especially QB then we really should move on from that coaching staff.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Thomas5737 said:

Baker is what he has been thus far because that is what it is. Mostly underwhelming.  He is an uptempo QB who is extremely accurate in that system. We have never really tried it with him under any coach. The closest thing was down the stretch in 2020 but that didn't last long. 

I just think with the right system... nothing complicated and you don't have to take any routes off of the table because he can make all of the throws, he is a probowl QB every year. If we are never going to run an offense like that why waste his talents and our time. With the system we used last year with the personnel we need a Tom Brady with Lamar Jackson athleticism to make that passing game work. Maybe we thought Watson was close enough to that and that's why we went after him but my goodness if we don't have a coaching staff that can adjust to their players, especially QB then we really should move on from that coaching staff.

Then we should be able to fetch a good return for him right?  If other GM's are seeing what you are, and they have the type of Offense that you are speaking of....we should easily get a 1 and a 2 for a PRO BOWL CALIBER PLAYER!

• Like 1