2021 Baker thread

ReggieCamp

1 minute ago, bruceb said:

The Mayfield disfavor has escalated rapidly.

Makes sense, though if the FO does not think that he is the guy.

I’m still not 100% sure they’ve soured on him, but rather they see an opportunity to add a top 5-10 QB on a team friendly deal and who’s still just 26.  Those don’t come available all that often.

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, NudeTayne said:

I could see him going for a third. I don't think he's the guy, but it would be cool if he was. Seems like a good kid, strong arm and mobile as well like you mentioned.

He ran a slightly faster 40 than Baker but is one of the least agile QBs ever recorded. Terrible shuttle and 3 cone. I don't think he is going to be great at escaping pressure.

But hey, he was mediocre in college so ya never know. Tom Brady was mediocre in college.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Thomas5737 said:

He ran a slightly faster 40 than Baker but is one of the least agile QBs ever recorded. Terrible shuttle and 3 cone. I don't think he is going to be great at escaping pressure.

But hey, he was mediocre in college so ya never know. Tom Brady was mediocre in college.

I don’t think he’s destined to be a stud, but I’d rather roll the dice on a cheap shot in the dark than pay a retread 20+ a year to be mediocre.

The draft is more heavy next year (by far) and other options will present themselves next off-season, in addition, just as they have this off-season. 

I am all for trying to upgrade and play to win. But part of me thinks that our front office/coach could feel like they could be on the hot seat with another year like the past one if there’s not better QB play. I still think we need to play the long game and continue to Roster build this off-season, and if it isn’t better at quarterback, you make that move next season.

2 minutes ago, NateDawg said:

and if it isn’t better at quarterback, you make that move next season.

And if you mean by that if Mayfield isn't better than he has been over his career and if there is any serious question in your mind that you might need to upgrade, why wait?

To me, the fact that he has not/cannot produce in the clutch is a deal-buster. 

1 minute ago, bruceb said:

And if you mean by that if Mayfield isn't better than he has been over his career and if there is any serious question in your mind that you might need to upgrade, why wait?

To me, the fact that he has not/cannot produce in the clutch is a deal-buster. 

My reason for waiting is that I don’t see a long-term successor to be as likely from the options this season as compared to next season. We get a guy like Garoppolo, then what? We find ourselves in limbo for two or three years and eventually look elsewhere like San Francisco?

1 minute ago, brownie man said:

Actually the Tretter release makes more sense now if we do get Watson

you probably don’t want the NFLPA President and the Watson situation at the same time 

that would’ve definitely made it tough on Tretter dealing with that in his position 

I think you’re reading too far into things.

He was set to make 10 million and we drafted his replacement 2 years ago.  I don’t think it’s much more complicated than that.

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, NateDawg said:

My reason for waiting is that I don’t see a long-term successor to be as likely from the options this season as compared to next season. We get a guy like Garoppolo, then what? We find ourselves in limbo for two or three years and eventually look elsewhere like San Francisco?

That's pretty much where we are at.

The limbo bar is just set a little higher with someone like Garoppolo.

You don't have to go so low, Mon!

Edited by bruceb