"Why didn't the 2021 Buccaneers repeat?" Will we be asking this?

DoleINGout

I notice that you didn't even list the Falcons. The Falcons could legitimately win the division. It would take some fall off from Tom Brady in Tampa, but they were 2-9 in one score games last year. Regress that back to the mean a bit this year and say they go 5-5 in those (which .500 is a normal spot to be at in one score games), an improved defense back to the mean and an offense that actually suits the Falcons personnel on offense on the line, at receivers and especially at QB. The Falcons have great shot at beating out the Buccaneers for the division with their last place schedule too. Sure, call me a homer, but I legitimately believe that this Falcons team could shock the division this year with a worst-to-first situation. 

And yes, the defense is bad, but Dan Quinn schematically had been passed by. Dean Pees evolves his defenses over time and having coaches that scheme to where guys win vs. coaches that try to fit guys to their scheme will make a huge difference in Atlanta this year.

Even as prospective Super Bowl favourites, the Bucs probably only have something like a 15-25% chance of actually winning the thing, and a 75-85% chance of not doing so. The answer to the question is therefore.... because it was very unlikely that they were going to anyway.

Winning Super Bowls is tough! And typically more about luck as much anything else.

@scar988 I do think the Falcons are the stiffest competition in the NFCS to TB and a playoff bound team in 2021, but I do not predict them to win the division outright even though it is possible. They are one of a few sleeper teams in the NFC. I think the playoff teams will look wildly different in that conference from last season.

1 hour ago, DoleINGout said:

@scar988 I do think the Falcons are the stiffest competition in the NFCS to TB and a playoff bound team in 2021, but I do not predict them to win the division outright even though it is possible. They are one of a few sleeper teams in the NFC. I think the playoff teams will look wildly different in that conference from last season.

I think the combination of better coaching on both sides of the ball, added talent who add explosion to positions that didn't have it in 2020 (FS, TE), and more playmaking ability overall can help. I also think that the Falcons will see regression from the 2020 defense to the better primarily due to coaching and hopefully, the new coaching doesn't let the team give up 7-8 4th quarter leads this year like they did last. Those leads being held reverses the record completely.

On 5/20/2021 at 9:42 AM, RuskieTitan said:

The most likeliest of scenarios? Any given Sunday. The NFL playoffs are a 1 game series format, all it takes is one bad day from your team and you get bounced. I think the Bucs make the playoffs, and at that point they've got the GOAT leading them, but winning 3 (or 4) straight is no easy feat. 

Agreed. Winning Super Bowls is hard, and no matter how good any one team is, there are a number of teams who have the capability to win it.

I don't care how good a team is, "the field" is always the more likely option

D regresses, TB12 slows down or turns into a corpse later in the year, and the big question; injuries.  But if healthy, with another year in the system and a legit off-season, I don't expect to see the O step back with the talent they have.  

I think Brady has 2 more seasons of elite level play left especially with a stacked roster around him. I think they are the favorites easily over any team to make it and win it all. None of the NFC teams have done anything noteworthy and while KC has fixed their OL on paper they havent done much on defense imo to top TB.

Edited by Chargers

On 5/20/2021 at 5:39 PM, DoleINGout said:

Ball bouncing. Of course, but aside from that...

Brady injury. Trask/Gabbert/Griffin, are they good enough with an elite supporting cast?

OL injury. Of course, but injuries are again a given for every team. Predicting injuries or predicting a decimation to the OL unit? Bucc's starting OL doesn't have a history of injuries so that is sort of in their favor at least. Tom Brady gets rid of the ball quickly which helps and the scheme isn't super long l-developing. There will probably be a tendency to lean on the run slightly more than is typical with Arians just based on their RB depth chart and the fact that Brady is there and knows to pace the team right for the playoffs. The depth on the OL is just okay/seemingly average at best after the strong starting five. A concern perhaps but if one or even two starters miss extensive plays it isn't a large enough hinderance seemingly given how the rest of the team makes up for it.

Defense regresses? Okay, but where? How? The defense is returning everyone along with a great offense to manage the clock. The prime defenders are all in or reaching their peak still with some veterans like Suh who are very capable. This seems unlikely but add on top of it the Saints regressing without Brees potentially and Carolina with a first year potential-bust QB in Sam Darnold replacing the system-familiar starter that was Bridgewater and it feels like some of the Bucc's main competition is less threatening.

Arians thinks he is bigger than he is. What does this look like? How does it manifest itself? Because if the playoffs were any indication, Byron Leftwich and Brady had as much say in the show as Arians does and it really looked like they were all in sync by the end of their run. Do one of these three captains go rouge in trying to steer the ship themselves? Perhaps. Who is the likeliest of them all? Brady has the biggest ego, Leftwich has the biggest incentive continuing his audition for a HC job somewhere in 2022, and Arians is also egotistical but probably not to a fault anymore in Tompa Bay.

Maybe the biggest thing is they all get complacent and think it will be a cakewalk after a while. But with Brady, not going to happen.

The biggest thing that ruins the Bucc's to me would be perfection. The quest, led by Brady, to decimate everyone, go undefeated, and rule the roost once and for all. Being so caught up in their ambitious pursuits and putting too much weight on their shoulders.

Aside of injury and Brady, defense regressing, not much really. 

I'm picking TB to repeat. If everything stays the same and they get more a full offseason in their offense together, they will be really hard to beat.