Realistic discussion on McCarthy: Should He stay or should he go?

MacReady

If we fail to reach the playoffs, should we fire our coaching staff?  

65 members have voted

1. 1. If we fail to reach the playoffs, should we fire our coaching staff?

• Yes
    • No
  2. 2. Will Mike McCarthy be fired at the end of the season?

• Yes
    • No

22 minutes ago, packfanfb said:

Drew Brees isnt Rodgers, not even close.

You think MM would have a better or even the same record as Payton in NO with Brees with MMs offensive scheme? That's not even a reasonable argument.

If you go over the Saints' forum and read their game day thread they are saying Brees has declined and admitted they would have lost if #12 was in there.

29 minutes ago, Slinky said:

Yes.

1) I'd have faith we bring in someone who isn't clueless. 

2) Rodgers would succeed under any coach at this point in his career. Aaron has made McCarthy, 100%.

3) New coach could bring in a D-coordinator who knows what he's doing. Better defense= better team results. 

With a new head coach, that also means new coordinators and also new positional coaches.  That likely means that we're going to have an adjustment period on both sides of the ball.  Again, is that something you're willing to live with?  This is assuming that improvements are made.

26 minutes ago, pollino14 said:

There’s a risk/ reward. Not just a risk. 

Today was very telling imo. Brett Hundley did not look terrible, the line was playing good, and the running game was real good; he’ll we had two turnovers! In yet, we didn’t score many points.. and had some very strange play calls.

If this continues, I think it would be a valid assumption that Mac benefits much more from AR than AR benefits from Mac. And to go as far as to say Mac needs AR.

Hundley has been groomed under Mac for 2 plus years, he should be able to put up points.

Offensively, what's the upside of removing Mike McCarthy?  I'm legitimately curious because everytime we've been healthy we're a top 5 offense.  What's the upside?  So we go from 3rd best offense to 2nd best offense?  Again, there's more risk by firing McCarthy than people care to admit.  I'm not going to discuss today's game until I have a chance to watch it, so I'll keep my comments about Mac being prior to this game.

2 minutes ago, CWood21 said:

With a new head coach, that also means new coordinators and also new positional coaches.  That likely means that we're going to have an adjustment period on both sides of the ball.  Again, is that something you're willing to live with?  This is assuming that improvements are made.

I'm not ok with staying status quo which is what we've been doing. Where has it gotten us? We have the best QB to ever play the game, and he's been to the SB once.

It's futile to try to uncouple MM and AR other than recognizing that MM has significant success before Aaron Rodgers showed up (with a talented malcontent QB that he revitalized and turned around). 

Of course he is not flawless, no coach is. But he IS one of the historical great coaches, especially if you filter out coaches who coached the majority of their career prior to the modern NFL (pre-super bowl era). He is a top 10 coach in the super bowl era if he leaves today. Maybe his career will drop off, maybe it will improve who knows. But that's the backdrop of where he currently sits.

1 minute ago, Slinky said:

I'm not ok with staying status quo which is what we've been doing. Where has it gotten us? We have the best QB to ever play the game, and he's been to the SB once.

Is this because of the HC or the DC?  I'm betting its the latter.  

7 minutes ago, Pugger said:

If you go over the Saints' forum and read their game day thread they are saying Brees has declined and admitted they would have lost if #12 was in there.

They would have lost if Rodgers played. That is the impact of Aaron Rodgers. 

Just now, Slinky said:

Did I ask that?  No.  In fact, I've been pretty vocal that a change needs to be made at some point, the question is how far do you want to try and see where the issue goes?  If you replace Ted Thompson, that puts the coaching staff in a lame duck situation and probably means they're coaching for one more year before they're replaced.  We're then at that point 2+ years and looking for improvements.  Do you replace your head coach at the end of the season?  That means bringing in a completely new coaching staff, which likely means we're looking at new scheme for both the offense and defense.  Or do you fire specific coaches and coordinators?  That's probably the least overhaul the Packers can do that creates significant changes.

But going back to my original point, do you think the Packers are fundamentally broken?  If the answer is yes, then you replace the head of the situation (i.e. Ted Thompson or Mike McCarthy).  If the answer is no, then you're looking at positional coaches and coordinators.

1 minute ago, Pugger said:

Is this because of the HC or the DC?  I'm betting its the latter.  

it's really neither. Would have been to two if not for a huge boneheaded play by a reserve TE in a special teams play. Then there's a lot of context and circumstances for the rest such as: other teams that have had excellent stretches as well.

It's really, really hard to maintain success on a macro-level in the NFL, even with a great QB. It's not any one person's fault. It's deeper than that.

4 minutes ago, incognito_man said:

It's futile to try to uncouple MM and AR other than recognizing that MM has significant success before Aaron Rodgers showed up (with a talented malcontent QB that he revitalized and turned around). 

Of course he is not flawless, no coach is. But he IS one of the historical great coaches, especially if you filter out coaches who coached the majority of their career prior to the modern NFL (pre-super bowl era). He is a top 10 coach in the super bowl era if he leaves today. Maybe his career will drop off, maybe it will improve who knows. But that's the backdrop of where he currently sits.

Are you basing this on anything other than his record? 

6 minutes ago, CWood21 said:

Offensively, what's the upside of removing Mike McCarthy?  I'm legitimately curious because everytime we've been healthy we're a top 5 offense.  What's the upside?  So we go from 3rd best offense to 2nd best offense?  Again, there's more risk by firing McCarthy than people care to admit.  I'm not going to discuss today's game until I have a chance to watch it, so I'll keep my comments about Mac being prior to this game.

I think it’s a strong possibility that we’re a top offense due to just Aaron Rodgers ( especially if the offense continues to be abysmal ). 

If we got another coach ,  Idt we’d miss a beat, and could improve in other areas. Namely play calling, time management and in all likelihood good defensively .

point is; I don’t know if Mac makes this offense better .

Archived