SNF: Super Bowl rematch, Falcons at Patriots

titans0021

3 minutes ago, mission27 said:

Yes and no.  There were a few years in there where the defense was a real problem and it carried over into the playoffs.  

The years when y'all were scoring like 75 points a game and it didn't matter?  And you still fixed the issues, went on a run, won the division, and made a playoff run?

1 minute ago, tonyto36 said:

Ehhhhh this year has been a bit different.  It's basically been Gilmore singlehandedly sabotaging the Patriots defense by repeatedly giving up big gains/easy TDs.   He's by far their most talented CB IMO, but if you can't learn the playbook and keep screwing everyone up, the defense is going to struggle.  McCourty, Chung and Butler didn't suddenly forget the playbook.  He's been making life tougher for everyone on the defense.

He's out and the defense is flowing better.   Ideally he figures out the playbook so we have good team defense along with superior talent, but who knows.

Leave it to Belichick to have a free agent prize CB on the bench and the defense somehow perform better.

And again, this is another reason why I think the defense has been better than given credit for and long term prognosis is more positive than people seemed to think.  A few dumb plays and forgetting the playbook is correctable.  

Gilmore had one good year.  Darby was the better CB in Buffalo anyways.  

But you kind of proved my point...issue or flaw early in the year that NE fixes, goes on a run, wins the division, and then makes a playoff run to at least the AFCCG. 

I thought people saying the Patriots defense played poorly last week was garbage nonsense from people who had no idea what they were talking about.

I mean they've looked significantly better the last 3 games, last week included, but the secondary still gave up a lot of big plays against what should be a garbage passing offense.  Would not be surprised to see the Falcons hang up 21+ in the second half.  But Tom is their daddy, so I still don't think it'll be enough. 

Just now, tonyto36 said:

Agreed.  Every year people forget the Patriots tend to start slow.  Per Belichick, he views the first four weeks of the season as an extension of preseason.  It's already pretty remarkable the schematic and personnel changes the Patriots have done in one month.

The Patriots in september are general pretty average, sometimes start out fast from pure talent, but usually 3-2ish.   The splits in Novemeber/December are always pretty insane.  Didn't the Patriots go undefeated at home in Nov/Dec for something like 5 straight years?

It felt like one of those years they should've started hot, like 2007 or 2015.  But anyone who knows anything knew they'd adjust and be fine. 

Still this is one half of good football doesn't erase 6 meh games.  We'll see where this team is in December.

Just now, LieutenantGains said:

Going on 4th down down 10-0 in the middle of the field with Tom freakin Brady having two minutes to work with, is going to create the Holy Trinity Of Idiocy with the buttfumble and the 4th and 2 by the Colts.

Brady would've score even if they punted

Just now, LieutenantGains said:

Going on 4th down down 10-0 in the middle of the field with Tom freakin Brady having two minutes to work with, is going to create the Holy Trinity Of Idiocy with the buttfumble and the 4th and 2 by the Colts.

Its Tom freaking Brady though.  They could've pinned him inside the 5 and he could've led that same drive.  I kind of get it.  You aren't going to win a game of attrition.

Agreed.  Every year people forget the Patriots tend to start slow.  Per Belichick, he views the first four weeks of the season as an extension of preseason.  It's already pretty remarkable the schematic and personnel changes the Patriots have done in one month.

The Patriots in september are general pretty average, sometimes start out fast from pure talent, but usually 3-2ish.   The splits in Novemeber/December are always pretty insane.  Didn't the Patriots go undefeated at home in Nov/Dec for something like 5 straight years?

It's the same thing the Seahawks have done for the past...5? 6? years?  September is the month to figure things out, then you go on a winning run, win the division, and get to the playoffs.  

And yet people are surprised every year.  

Archived