Top-10 Coaches in the NFL

WizeGuy

Kyle Shanahan is 29-35 as HC yet people are ranking him as a top 5 HC? He gets so much hype as a coach with little substance. Yes hes a good offensive mind but if you are going to be a top 5 HC can you at least have a winning record? This is 4 years as a HC as well. 

• Like 5

19 hours ago, The BILLievers said:

Before McDermott the Bills had the longest playoff draught in the NFL. In McDermott's first 4 years, we made the playoffs 3 out of 4 times. He's completely changed the culture and should be top 5 in most lists IMO.

I agree, idk how hes listed under Shanahan. He actually has a winning record as a HC. 

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, The Third Rider said:

I don't really get all the Shanahan love here. He is 29-35 in the last 4 years (with a SB loss and 3 losing seasons) while Sean McDermott is 38-26 with 3 playoff appearances.

I mean to be fair the Niners have had a rough go the last 3 years with injuries. He is unquestionably a top tier offensive mind in the game and that's not really debatable but I guess you could bring into question his ability to get the best out of his players. Harbaugh is the perfect example of a top tier head coach who knows what to say to get the best out of his teams regardless. He isn't a great offensive or defensive mind but he knows how to lead the men on his team, that is a very underrated aspect of being a head coach.

22 minutes ago, Letsch80 said:

I mean to be fair the Niners have had a rough go the last 3 years with injuries. He is unquestionably a top tier offensive mind in the game and that's not really debatable but I guess you could bring into question his ability to get the best out of his players. Harbaugh is the perfect example of a top tier head coach who knows what to say to get the best out of his teams regardless. He isn't a great offensive or defensive mind but he knows how to lead the men on his team, that is a very underrated aspect of being a head coach.

You have Shanahan above a lot of coaches who have much longer track records and better ones. Shanahan is a bright offensive mind, no doubt. But so far as a HC he has a losing record. A HC at the end of the day is judged on winning games. 

27 minutes ago, notthatbluestuff said:

To be fair, record isn’t everything. How would McDermott do having to constantly start Mullens, Beathard at QB etc for like 2 out of 3 seasons for example? 

After 4 seasons I feel like it's pretty fair.. You mean Nate Peterman, rookie Josh Allen and Tyrod Taylor? The Bills defense (McDermotts strength) carried the Bills teams the first 3 out of 4 seasons; last season was the first good/elite offense McDermotts ever had. 

6 minutes ago, The BILLievers said:

After 4 seasons I feel like it's pretty fair.. You mean Nate Peterman, rookie Josh Allen and Tyrod Taylor? The Bills defense (McDermotts strength) carried the Bills teams the first 3 out of 4 seasons; last season was the first good/elite offense McDermotts ever had. 

As a Jets fan, I agree. The Bills were a joke for a couple decades. McDermott has turned that team into a well coached squad that has competed for the playoffs 3 out of 4 years hes been there. McDermott has produced more than Shannahan in his 4 years easily. Hes just not the sexy offensive mind everyone wants. 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, The BILLievers said:

Fair - but McD’s area of expertise is the defense; Shanny’s is the offense. Shanny had to start third-stringers as the centerpiece of his offense two out of three years. 

I even rank McDermott in my top 10, but I can’t rank him ahead of Super Bowl winners/Super Bowl finalists/coaches who’ve never had a losing record. 

4 minutes ago, NYJets4716 said:

As a Jets fan, I agree. The Bills were a joke for a couple decades. McDermott has turned that team into a well coached squad that has competed for the playoffs 3 out of 4 years hes been there. McDermott has produced more than Shannahan in his 4 years easily. Hes just not the sexy offensive mind everyone wants. 

The guy has featured in every poster’s list so far.