What team that is expected to be great will be terrible this year?

CP3MVP

7 hours ago, Yin-Yang said:

I’d certainly say these teams generally have high expectations.

High expectations are under the assumption Rodgers plays, but I contrasted that against the improvements within the division and highlighted the fact that GB has all of the same starters returning with an even older and seemingly less passionate QB. I don't see any of those predictions you shared putting GB or SEA as Super Bowl or even conference finalist favorites. Being a divisional round participant may be considered great expectations for one or two teams not routinely there but for two teams like GB and SEA who cap out there, it seems like they are fading franchises in terms of their current "dynasty" runs.

37 minutes ago, DoleINGout said:

High expectations are under the assumption Rodgers plays, but I contrasted that against the improvements within the division and highlighted the fact that GB has all of the same starters returning with an even older and seemingly less passionate QB. I don't see any of those predictions you shared putting GB or SEA as Super Bowl or even conference finalist favorites. Being a divisional round participant may be considered great expectations for one or two teams not routinely there but for two teams like GB and SEA who cap out there, it seems like they are fading franchises in terms of their current "dynasty" runs.

I’d say being a top 2, 3, or 4 team in the conference, along with being a SB contender (aided by a history of being strong, competitive teams) constitute “great expectations”. 

Do you have any links or sources that express that perhaps the general public/sports media do not believe that the Seahawks or Packers are one of the best teams in their conference? Or a top 8 team overall? I’d be interested in that.

3 hours ago, RTTRUTH said:

Why next season? You mean 2022?

What would change? 

Just understanding the trend of systems like McVay that are similar in ways like LaFleur and Kyle and his father Mike it usually take 2yrs to fully thrive in the system. It was Goff 2nd year that he had his best season and help the Rams get to the Superbowl. It was ARod 2nd year where  the Packers offense truly took off and as a result ARod won MVP. Ryan won MVP and went to the Superbowl in his 2nd year in Kyle system in Atlanta. Jimmy G was in his 3rd season with Kyle when he help lead the Niners to the Superbowl. Elway was in his I think 3rd season before he truly thrived in Mike system. So while I do think Stafford will find instant success I’m not going to freak if he has his ups and downs because it typically takes 2yrs in this type of system so I’m truly looking at next season. This season it’s me hoping the Rams can get to at least the NFCCG. Next year it’s Superbowl or bust. 

2 hours ago, Yin-Yang said:

I’d say being a top 2, 3, or 4 team in the conference, along with being a SB contender (aided by a history of being strong, competitive teams) constitute “great expectations”. 

In a vacuum perhaps. All but one of these expectations you share for GB and SEA are that they are seen as a divisional round team in rank/playoff seeding. I take that into account with their history and raise the point that both teams are in a situation with their QB's that is rocky. Then, add on top of that the expected strength of the NFC West in SEA's case and the expectation of improvement for MIN and CHI in GB's case, and I think there is a growing expectation among fans that GB and SEA are closer to fringe divisional round teams in 2021 than they were SB contenders the previous few seasons.

2 hours ago, DoleINGout said:

In a vacuum perhaps. All but one of these expectations you share for GB and SEA are that they are seen as a divisional round team in rank/playoff seeding. I take that into account with their history and raise the point that both teams are in a situation with their QB's that is rocky. Then, add on top of that the expected strength of the NFC West in SEA's case and the expectation of improvement for MIN and CHI in GB's case, and I think there is a growing expectation among fans that GB and SEA are closer to fringe divisional round teams in 2021 than they were SB contenders the previous few seasons.

Sure, you’ve said that. Do you have anything to support that? 

Some pretty well known and certainly renowned sports media sites have put them up that high. Do they represent the consensus? Possibly not, but it’s something. I’m just wondering where you’re getting your opinion from. 

38 minutes ago, Yin-Yang said:

I’m just wondering where you’re getting your opinion from. 

Where do I get my opinion from. Is it even mine?

In this instance, it is just the general fan reactions and discussions on Aaron Rodgers commitment/age/passions outside of football as well as Russell Wilson's but to a lesser degree.

38 minutes ago, DoleINGout said:

Where do I get my opinion from. Is it even mine?

In this instance, it is just the general fan reactions and discussions on Aaron Rodgers commitment/age/passions outside of football as well as Russell Wilson's but to a lesser degree.

Should specify, wondering if it’s based on anything concrete (something that can be provided) or just “I feel like fans don’t think of them highly”. Got my answer, thanks.

21 hours ago, SkippyX said:

The 2020 Rams had their MVP hurt his ribs and they turned into cuddly kittens on D.

Green Bay annihilated them. 484 yards and 32 points (that's 32 + taking a knee inside the Rams 10)

No sacks

No turnovers

The 1/1 D played like the 24/24 D because one guy was in pain.

How many teams could lose their best player (he played but was obviously ineffective) and then beat the number one seed coming off a bye?

He missed a chunk of the Seattle game and the defense still terrorized Wilson without him.

Ultimately I don't disagree with you - we really don't have many good pass rushers outside of Donald. We rely on him to open it up for everyone.

But it's also pretty embarrassing how many fans here - I'm assuming if they come here they're diehard NFL fans - just regurgitate crap thrown out by the media about the Rams.

"The Rams won't have draft picks!" - had the 6th most (I think - somewhere around there) since McVay took over

"The Rams are old and the championship window will be closing!" - currently the youngest team in the NFL

"The Rams are paper thin!" - how many of us watch enough of other teams to truly know how good that teams backups are? We have good starters established at most positions and then most of the backups were 2nd-4th round picks. We haven't seen all of them play, but the investment has been made at RB, WR, OL, DL, EDGE, ILB, CB and S over the years. 

Obviously if Ramsey or AD - or the QB - go down, the season is in jeopardy. But what team wins without their QB? How would the Titans be without Henry, the Packers without Alexander or the Bears without Mack? Some players are irreplaceable regardless of the depth you have.

On 6/4/2021 at 4:52 PM, Tk3 said:

I'll use Draftkings over/under win total as my guide. This is the list of teams with a win total of 10 or higher (top 8 teams.. what I would feel qualifies as "great")

1. Chiefs 12
  2. Bucs 11.5
  3. Ravens 11
  4. 49ers 10.5
  5. Bills 10.5
  6. Packers 10.5
  7. Rams 10.5
  8. Colts 10

I'll say that among this group. 49ers if they choose to play Trey Lance, and the Colts jump out as the most likely to miss the playoffs or be under .500

I think teams like the Chargers, Dolphins, Cowboys, Patriots, Saints, who all fall in the 9-9.5 win total group, have a chance to disappoint as well, but by definition I'm not including them as highly regarded enough

Have the top 2 teams on this list ever actually been the top 2 at the end of the season? I'd imagine either the Chiefs or Bucs are in for a bit of a letdown.

15 hours ago, Yin-Yang said:

Should specify, wondering if it’s based on anything concrete (something that can be provided) or just “I feel like fans don’t think of them highly”. Got my answer, thanks.

I mean, he may not have a specific article to 100% concretely, indisputably supplement his opinion (that you seem to demand to even carry on a conversation for some reason), but you really think most football fans would be utterly shocked if the Seahawks went like 8-9 or something this season? In that division, with the recent "drama", and them having won 1 playoff game the past 4 years? I think the broad consensus by most fans is that this Seattle team is mostly carried by Russell Wilson on offense, doesn't draft particularly well as of late, and is a far-cry from the perennial SB contender they were 5-6 years ago. I don't think people view the Seahawks as firmly as you think.

Edit: Their O/U total going into this year is 7th - at 10 games - tied with teams like the 49ers and Colts. I'm not sure that's a shoe-in for "great expectations this year" like you're arguing.

Edited by Ray Reed
  • Like 1

6 hours ago, Ray Reed said:

I mean, he may not have a specific article to 100% concretely, indisputably supplement his opinion (that you seem to demand to even carry on a conversation for some reason),

Seems like a silly way to spin it. I asked if there was anything to backup an opinion, that’s it.

but you really think most football fans would be utterly shocked if the Seahawks went like 8-9 or something this season?

I mean, that’s sort of an irrelevant question in the realm of this discussion. Would anyone last year have said that the Buccs getting 8-9 wins was an utter shock? Was there any team at all besides maybe the Chiefs that would warrant an utterly shocked reaction by 8-9 wins? 

Being in utter shock by an 8 or 9 win season is not a prerequisite for having SB expectations. 

In that division, with the recent "drama", and them having won 1 playoff game the past 4 years? I think the broad consensus by most fans is that this Seattle team is mostly carried by Russell Wilson on offense, doesn't draft particularly well as of late, and is a far-cry from the perennial SB contender they were 5-6 years ago. I don't think people view the Seahawks as firmly as you think.

Do you view Seattle as a potential SB contender?

Edit: Their O/U total going into this year is 7th - at 10 games - tied with teams like the 49ers and Colts. I'm not sure that's a shoe-in for "great expectations this year" like you're arguing.

So 7th in the NFL, roughly top 3-4 in the conference, you do not view as having SB expectations?

1 hour ago, Yin-Yang said:

Seems like a silly way to spin it. I asked if there was anything to backup an opinion, that’s it.

I mean, that’s sort of an irrelevant question in the realm of this discussion. Would anyone last year have said that the Buccs getting 8-9 wins was an utter shock? Was there any team at all besides maybe the Chiefs that would warrant an utterly shocked reaction by 8-9 wins? 

Being in utter shock by an 8 or 9 win season is not a prerequisite for having SB expectations. 

Do you view Seattle as a potential SB contender?

So 7th in the NFL, roughly top 3-4 in the conference, you do not view as having SB expectations?

No, I don’t currently view the Seahawks as a legitimate Super Bowl contender.

Bet I’m not alone in that either.

On 6/4/2021 at 2:52 PM, Tk3 said:

I'll use Draftkings over/under win total as my guide. This is the list of teams with a win total of 10 or higher (top 8 teams.. what I would feel qualifies as "great")

1. Chiefs 12
  2. Bucs 11.5
  3. Ravens 11
  4. 49ers 10.5
  5. Bills 10.5
  6. Packers 10.5
  7. Rams 10.5
  8. Colts 10

I'll say that among this group. 49ers if they choose to play Trey Lance, and the Colts jump out as the most likely to miss the playoffs or be under .500

I think teams like the Chargers, Dolphins, Cowboys, Patriots, Saints, who all fall in the 9-9.5 win total group, have a chance to disappoint as well, but by definition I'm not including them as highly regarded enough

Of this group I see GB as an easy one if AR doesn’t play.

My other pick are the Rams and Colts.  I’m always concerned when a QB changes teams or there’s a scheme change. Sometimes  it just doesn’t go as planned.