Bears OTA 2

WindyCity

If you wanted a photo of a Bears fan representative it would be Greg Braggs.   What he says is what average Bears fan is thinking.

What I am trying to tell you.   Fields is not sitting this year.  Fans want to see him and they will make their voices heard on it.   That pressure is real for Nagy and Dalton and Bears. 

Dalton will not get a fair shake.

Nagy is wasting time giving Dalton starters reps.   I don't care if it is the best plan.   That plan just isn't going to happen.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, dll2000 said:

Dieter moved to center and may compete for starting job.  

Apparently he is a much stronger dude than Mustipher.  

Big time weight lifter who was projected as an OC when he was signed.  6'4" 320lbs.....big strong kid.

And for cripes sake this (below) means absolutely nothing, zero, nada, nope, no no, nyet without some context.

Dalton picked off 3 times in 7 on 7s.. Its officially Mike Glennon all over again.

As Nagy has already pointed out Dalton is anticipating throws and putting the ball where it needs to be when it needs to be there whereas Fields is just beginning to pick up on this.  The receiver needs to run his route correctly as to depth and timing or the pass could be picked off.  Nagy is pushing this approach (which Mitch could never grasp) and putting the onus on the receiver to be where he needs to be when he needs to be and be ready to catch the throw. 

What we don't know it how well that part is working out.

So.....this info is all but useless without knowing what's being expected of both Dalton and the receiver.

Edited by soulman

47 minutes ago, soulman said:

And for cripes sake this (below) means absolutely nothing, zero, nada, nope, no no, nyet without some context.

WRONG. You're doing this wrong. 

Let me show you how this works, using this handy guide. 

HOW TO HANDLE THE OFFSEASON "NEWS"

Analyzing offseason news about a player on your team:

Am I excited about this player? If so, they any positive news is just the first step on his hall of fame journey. If negative, then the news is clearly the work of biased media, or because he's going up against the teams other unit, which is clearly the best.

Am I down on this player? If the news is positive, it's just the damn media hyping the guy for... reasons.  If the news is negative, well chum, you were right when you said it was an overpay or overdraft, my friend!

Allow me to demonstrate with an example:

Dalton picked off 3 times in 7 on 7s.. Its officially Mike Glennon all over again.

**** sake I can't believe Nagy is sitting Fields for the season, un-freakin-believable. This is going to screw Fields out of MVP this season. 
  • Like 3

Sam's not about to be left behind on a bigger OL............

When Sam Mustipher left Notre Dame to come into the NFL in 2019 as an undrafted free agent, he weighed in officially at 305 pounds.

The Bears saw a need for Mustipher to add strength and some weight. He pushed up to 311 and now he's trying to hold down the middle at center even heavier.

"This offseason was all about gaining strength," Mustipher said. "I put on 10 pounds of lean mass, so it was a great offseason. So now June and July is going to be just trimming the fat down and trying to maintain the muscle I put on to withstand a 17-game season and hopefully longer than that."

Mustipher relied on someone familiar to Bears fans to help with his offseason training.

"Last year I trained with Olin Kreutz, this year I did the same," he said.

Kreutz played 13 years at center for the Bears, including six straight when he made the Pro Bowl.

Kreutz played the position below 300 pounds, at 292. The game has changed now and the weight and extra strength can help Mustipher.

"I have a lot of people that I trust and there's a great group of guys that I'm able to train with week-in and week-out," Mustipher said. "And just being back in the facility with Loco (strength coach Jason Loscalzo) and the guys, that was critical for me.

"I like to eat and there's a lot of good food in Chicago, so that was definitely critical for putting on the muscle."

It's the first time Mustipher has ever gone into a training camp as the expected starter. He come off the practice squad when the Bears revamped the offensive line and his starts helped lead them back from a six-game losing streak to the playoffs.

His attitude toward the season hasn't changed, practice squad or starter.

"You know, for me it's not really a difference," he said. "I've always had the mindset that I was going to go into an offseason preparing to play football. Whether that be on the practice squad, whether that be on the active roster, whether that be as a starting center, each offseason I prepare with that exact mindset and I've got to be great to play.

"And last year, you know, the fruits of my labor showed."

Considering the strength and weight added from this year's work, it's safe to expect Mustipher will improve in his first full season starting.

Any improvement is more than physical, though.

"And so I really feel like this offseason, it was critical for me to have that film, live film against other NFL defenses to understand the things I need to work on and improve on," Mustipher said. "We still have some time left to improve on those things."

Fields showing deadly deep ball accuracy.  Nice to hear that for a change.

It was merely one offseason practice of several, without pads and much of the time without a defense opposing him, but Justin Fields picked an ideal time to have "a day."

The rookie quarterback was on while running the backups against a backup defense at Bears OTAs on Wednesday and the fact he did it during one of the days when media got to see the workouts only served to generate more enthusiasm.

"I thought he spun the ball well," Bears coach Matt Nagy said.

The play leading to Nagy's comment was an extremely deep ball from the pocket to wide receiver Damiere Byrd down the sideline. Byrd had gained a step beyond the coverage but the effortless way Fields got the throw off was possibly the most impressive aspect of the play.

"He has that mentality of rip your heart out," Nagy said. "And so there were a couple of plays in there—and not just today but other days—where these quarterbacks are staying aggressive.

"And you got to see a taste of that today with Justin and he made the nice throw to Damiere down the sideline and that ball just took off. We talk about air time, air time meaning when the wide receiver looks like he's covered to everybody in the stadium but when that ball touches the top of the stadium and starts coming down the wide receiver separates and that's what happened on that ball. And he made a hell of a catch."

The deep passes apparently have been coming during OTAs when media hasn't been allowed in to view practice. Darnell Mooney sees it as a particular strength Fields has because he puts it out in front of the receiver to chase it.

"I mean I've caught one or two deep balls from him and the very first one that he threw up to me I was smiling mid-route of just seeing the ball in the air and just how, where it was placed," Mooney said. "And, like I said man, he's very accurate with his ball and he understands exactly where he wants to place the ball."

The deep one wasn't the only big throw Fields completed on the day. He had a nice deeper completion over the middle to Riley Ridley, a toss over the middle to J.P. Holtz placed where no one on the defense could touch it, and another shorter throw so accurate and well timed that it actually allowed Rodney Adams to turn and run upfield.

When was the last time a Bears receiver could get yards after the catch?

It wasn't a perfect day. Fields dropped a snap. So, too, did Andy Dalton. And the veteran starter also threw interceptions to Marqui Christian and Tashaun Gipson. He had another pass knocked down at the line.

Of course, Dalton is facing a collection of starters and second-team players, and not players who might be on the practice squad the way Fields is.

When Dalton is playing, Fields is trying to make strides with "mental reps" in the offense while communicating with passing game coordinator/quarterbacks coach John DeFilippo.

"So, his command right now is what he does is he sits back there with Flip, when Andy is running the show," Nagy said. "And he's back there repeating every word and he's flipping it and he's going through in his mind how to call the play—like he's in the huddle.

"The big part of that is getting the right personnel, understanding the formations, where's the ball at. It's on the left hash, right hash, middle of the field, first wide vision. And so he's going through all of that. I thought today he had a real good day of seeing that."

Not to mention, a good day of throwing it.

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, RunningVaccs said:

WRONG. You're doing this wrong. 

Let me show you how this works, using this handy guide. 

HOW TO HANDLE THE OFFSEASON "NEWS"

Analyzing offseason news about a player on your team:

Am I excited about this player? If so, they any positive news is just the first step on his hall of fame journey. If negative, then the news is clearly the work of biased media, or because he's going up against the teams other unit, which is clearly the best.

Am I down on this player? If the news is positive, it's just the damn media hyping the guy for... reasons.  If the news is negative, well chum, you were right when you said it was an overpay or overdraft, my friend!

Allow me to demonstrate with an example:

**** sake I can't believe Nagy is sitting Fields for the season, un-freakin-believable. This is going to screw Fields out of MVP this season. 

LOLOL.....must make note to self.  Study Vaccs Guide!  🤣

1 hour ago, soulman said:

Big time weight lifter who was projected as an OC when he was signed.  6'4" 320lbs.....big strong kid.

As Nagy has already pointed out Dalton is anticipating throws and putting the ball where it needs to be when it needs to be there whereas Fields is just beginning to pick up on this.  The receiver needs to run his route correctly as to depth and timing or the pass could be picked off.  Nagy is pushing this approach (which Mitch could never grasp) and putting the onus on the receiver to be where he needs to be when he needs to be and be ready to catch the throw. 

What we don't know it how well that part is working out.

So.....this info is all but useless without knowing what's being expected of both Dalton and the receiver.

Only point was man on street sentiment.  

With Braggs post I wasn't arguing for or against the whole idea that watching is much better because Mahomes and Rodgers did and they are good bit.

• Like 1

I don't know for sure, because I am not at practices and meetings, but I strongly suspect  just about every Bears assistant coach is a better coach than Nagy andy by that I mean  the DC, OC, DeFillipo and Furrey and the OL coach whose name is escaping me right now.   

More I learn of Nagy less I am impressed with him.  I think he is not bad, but I don't think he is particularly good or exceptional. 

I think he is a really good administrator and leader and problem solver, which are important HC qualities, but really just a meh overall coach.  

9 minutes ago, dll2000 said:

Only point was man on street sentiment.  

With Braggs post I wasn't arguing for or against the whole idea that watching is much better because Mahomes and Rodgers did and they are good bit.

I get that and it was less the critique than his Mike Glennon snark.

If the guy isn't football savvy enough to be able to tell the difference in talent between Mike Glennon and Andy Dalton then he should just STFU and I would be glad to tell him so to his face.  Stat keeping during OTAs is virtually meaningless.