Camp & Pre-Season | News and Notes

Dcash4

On 8/31/2021 at 8:46 AM, warfelg said:

Got a DB target for y'all:

If my 1/2 butt Internet research is correct…he cleared waivers? That’s a surprise…also a bit of a surprise we didn’t make any play for a new nickel CB. I had a really good feeling about Maulet before, but it’s kinda shocking we didn’t add there. 

I just don't get it? I don't dislike the player or the trade for him, but I don't get what it means for this team.

Does that mean they have very little faith in Sutton or, more specifically, Pierre? JP, who by all accounts, has just done literally everything you can be asked of from last year till now and seems to have earned a right to play. Are they just setting up for better depth or to play more dime -- which with Schobert and Bush doesn't really make sense. Can he play slot at all?

I don't know. I get trading for a corner. I don't get trading for a mediocre at best outside one. I wouldn't think you make that trade for depth only. So what are we all missing?

1 hour ago, Dcash4 said:

I just don't get it? I don't dislike the player or the trade for him, but I don't get what it means for this team.

Does that mean they have very little faith in Sutton or, more specifically, Pierre? JP, who by all accounts, has just done literally everything you can be asked of from last year till now and seems to have earned a right to play. Are they just setting up for better depth or to play more dime -- which with Schobert and Bush doesn't really make sense. Can he play slot at all?

I don't know. I get trading for a corner. I don't get trading for a mediocre at best outside one. I wouldn't think you make that trade for depth only. So what are we all missing?

A)They have no faith in Layne and B)they’re 1 injury away from him getting a lot of snaps.

Another failure at CB...I don’t know the FA market for CB but I’d be backing up Brinks trucks for the best one next offseason cause they have a real hard time developing them.

Edited by AFF
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, AFF said:

A)They have no faith in Layne and B)they’re 1 injury away from him getting a lot of snaps.

Another failure at CB...I don’t know the FA market for CB but I’d be backing up Brinks trucks for the best one next offseason cause they have a real hard time developing them.

They have done at least decent at most other positions, so spend premium picks everywhere else.

Colbert and Tomlin should give up drafting CBs (and Safeties) early and just either sign them in free agency and occasionally trade for one.   Draft some CBs outside the top 100 and sign UDFAs.

Only way Id draft CB early is if we are picking top 10 and have a chance at a blue chip prospect....and even then Id be hesitant.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, AFF said:

Every position is always one injury away. I just have a really hard time thinking paying a 5th round price (and potential comp implications) is worth upgrading your 4th stringer. 

Maybe if he was in longer than a 1 year deal, but I would have a hard time thinking you couldn’t find 4th string Layne replacement on the street for nothing but cash.