Camp & Pre-Season | News and Notes

Dcash4

3 hours ago, Dcash4 said:

Every position is always one injury away. I just have a really hard time thinking paying a 5th round price (and potential comp implications) is worth upgrading your 4th stringer. 

Maybe if he was in longer than a 1 year deal, but I would have a hard time thinking you couldn’t find 4th string Layne replacement on the street for nothing but cash. 

I think it’s partially the mindset that this year is it...the final run...whether it ends up being that is another matter.

If Ben craps the bed it is.

If he plays reasonably well...with that cap space next year, Colbert may go crazy.

10 hours ago, jebrick said:

RIP Tunch.  I enjoyed watching him play and listening to him talk Steelers

Very sad indeed.   Ill always remember his radio voice, especially on the DVDs of highlights from our Super Bowl seasons, which I used to watch A LOT.

Keeping this to off-season: but if TJ isn’t signed by tomorrow I’ll be 1) shocked and 2) a little afraid 

Its not going to be about money, it’s about structure. The last superstar worthy of a contract we saw walked away from $14m and $15m per year because of the way the steelers structure contracts. If we lose TJ, be prepared to lose Minkah. 

Total money isn’t going to be a problem. The Steelers open up the wallet to pay for their own. But if guarantees cause this to not get locked in, I’m afraid they will very seriously never change and continually let superstars walk out the door. 

1 hour ago, Dcash4 said:

Keeping this to off-season: but if TJ isn’t signed by tomorrow I’ll be 1) shocked and 2) a little afraid 

Its not going to be about money, it’s about structure. The last superstar worthy of a contract we saw walked away from $14m and $15m per year because of the way the steelers structure contracts. If we lose TJ, be prepared to lose Minkah. 

Total money isn’t going to be a problem. The Steelers open up the wallet to pay for their own. But if guarantees cause this to not get locked in, I’m afraid they will very seriously never change and continually let superstars walk out the door. 

Continually?   We dont let superstars go any more than other teams.

Watt will absolutely get tagged if a deal doesn't get done....although I really hope it does.

Didnt Hines Ward resign just days before the season began awhile back?    

I think it gets done.   

1 hour ago, 43M said:

Continually?   We dont let superstars go any more than other teams.

Watt will absolutely get tagged if a deal doesn't get done....although I really hope it does.

Didnt Hines Ward resign just days before the season began awhile back?    

I think it gets done.   

I don’t mean continually as things happening in the past, I mean signs of things to continually come if we don’t budge on the way we do contracts to match what pretty much the rest of the league has settled on. 

I agree they would tag him, but they would still eventually lose him if they aren’t willing to budge on structure. It TJ won’t accept that structure this year, why would he do so next year? 

So if that happened to bell and they are willing to let it happen to TJ…the likely hood of it continually happening in the future is high. It’s obviously not my money, but I’m not sure that’s a hill I would be willing to die on. 

Edited by Dcash4
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Dcash4 said:

I don’t mean continually as things happening in the past, I mean signs of things to continually come if we don’t budge on the way we do contracts to match what pretty much the rest of the league has settled on. 

I agree they would tag him, but they would still eventually lose him if they aren’t willing to budge on structure. It TJ won’t accept that structure this year, why would he do so next year? 

So if that happened to bell and they are willing to let it happen to TJ…the likely hood of it continually happening in the future is high. It’s obviously not my money, but I’m not sure that’s a hill I would be willing to die on. 

Bell played a somewhat low priority position that declines fast and he wasnt EXTREMELY dependable since he got injured at inopportune times.   

TJ plays a very important position, should remain elite for another 5 or 6 years, and is integral to our defenses success.

Point being....they are far more likely to be flexible with TJ than Bell.   But I do agree IF they don't change for TJ, they likely wont for anyone except maybe a star QB.

I think a deal gets done, though.

Edited by 43M
  • Like 1

7 hours ago, 43M said:

Bell played a somewhat low priority position that declines fast and he wasnt EXTREMELY dependable since he got injured at inopportune times.   

TJ plays a very important position, should remain elite for another 5 or 6 years, and is integral to our defenses success.

Point being....they are far more likely to be flexible with TJ than Bell.   But I do agree IF they don't change for TJ, they likely wont for anyone except maybe a star QB.

I think a deal gets done, though.

I agree, both in that it gets done and the Bell/TJ position comparison. The bold is just the thought that scares the life out of me. Maybe it was just because of the position, but I fear if they wouldn’t budge off their “way of doing things” with Bell, will they do the same hardball with TJ? And if so, why wouldn’t they do it for a Minkah or any other superstar to come along? 

Im still hopeful they get it done. We are within the timeframe of Heyward and Decastro (maybe Ward too?) of signing their expectations I’m the beginning of week 1. But Tomlin doenst like playing guys who haven’t practices and with their unwillingness to negotiate in season - IMO the deadline is today. Maybe tomorrow morning. 

On 9/4/2021 at 3:50 PM, jebrick said:

RIP Tunch.  I enjoyed watching him play and listening to him talk Steelers

Tunch was a friend. Exact same guy when the cameras were on or off.

He was not only fun to talk football with, but he was a man of substance, deep faith, and character through and through.

• Like 2

On 9/6/2021 at 7:16 AM, Dcash4 said:

I agree, both in that it gets done and the Bell/TJ position comparison. The bold is just the thought that scares the life out of me. Maybe it was just because of the position, but I fear if they wouldn’t budge off their “way of doing things” with Bell, will they do the same hardball with TJ? And if so, why wouldn’t they do it for a Minkah or any other superstar to come along? 

Im still hopeful they get it done. We are within the timeframe of Heyward and Decastro (maybe Ward too?) of signing their expectations I’m the beginning of week 1. But Tomlin doenst like playing guys who haven’t practices and with their unwillingness to negotiate in season - IMO the deadline is today. Maybe tomorrow morning. 

I mean, you are pretty much right. They aren't going to get top tier players without caving on this. It's a losing battle. The only upside here is that they can tag Watt for two years, and I don't think he's going to hold out. They can afford to do that until they offer Haskins a $60 million a year deal next year.