Around the NFL: Only Commies like Carson.

Kiltman

1 hour ago, Broadway Joe said:

Who started the LBs don't matter here? It has become a meme as to how wrong it is. 

It’s gotta be Howie. As soon as he comes to power in 2010 you see the drop off in LB investment. I vividly remember how even the dream team, stacked on paper, had gaping hole at LB which probably ultimately led to that D being so mediocre. Reid may have had more power then but surely Howie just doesn’t value LBs and has influenced decision makers.

Biggest LB investment of decade was Kiki Alonso, during the 1 year Howie didn’t have power.

edit: and FWIW, I think Howie is coming from right place. He just took it to the extreme. They’re the least valuable defensive position in modern NFL where passing is king and nickel has become true base, but that doesn’t mean you can get away with trotting out unproven late round picks and UDFAs.

Edited by RandyMossIsBoss
  • Like 1

46 minutes ago, RandyMossIsBoss said:

It’s gotta be Howie. As soon as he comes to power in 2010 you see the drop off in LB investment. I vividly remember how even the dream team, stacked on paper, had gaping hole at LB which probably ultimately led to that D being so mediocre. Reid may have had more power then but surely Howie just doesn’t value LBs and has influenced decision makers.

Biggest LB investment of decade was Kiki Alonso, during the 1 year Howie didn’t have power.

edit: and FWIW, I think Howie is coming from right place. He just took it to the extreme. They’re the least valuable defensive position in modern NFL where passing is king and nickel has become true base, but that doesn’t mean you can get away with trotting out unproven late round picks and UDFAs.

It's just analytic based decisions. He won a SB off of it and is now obsessed with making every single decision based off them. Analytics are a good thing, but I really wish we would keep them out of the draft. Sometimes you just have to take the best player available or use draft resources on a "less valuable" position.

I understand why they make the decisions they do, but getting a good player is more important than hitting all the boxes from an analytics perspective.

42 minutes ago, RandyMossIsBoss said:

I meant who said that in here. I remember someone told that LBs don't matter in the 4-3 and that they're the RB of the defense were the exact words. Which is downright wrong, every SB bound team has good LB play, including us. No matter how much the league passes (which is exaggerated) you will always need talent in the middle of the defense. 

And yes it is a Howie thing which is another example of how bad he is at anything football. I'm hoping this is rock bottom of neglecting LB like 2018 was for RBs, because this has gone way too far. 

6 minutes ago, AZ_Eaglesfan said:

It's just analytic based decisions. He won a SB off of it and is now obsessed with making every single decision based off them. Analytics are a good thing, but I really wish we would keep them out of the draft. Sometimes you just have to take the best player available or use draft resources on a "less valuable" position.

I understand why they make the decisions they do, but getting a good player is more important than hitting all the boxes from an analytics perspective.

The thing is that SB team had some very good LB play but all three were in spite of Howie, not because of him. Jordan Hicks was a Chip Kelly leftover, Mychal Kendricks was a Reid leftover and Nigel Bradham was a Schwartz guy. 

6 minutes ago, Broadway Joe said:

The thing is that SB team had some very good LB play but all three were in spite of Howie, not because of him. Jordan Hicks was a Chip Kelly leftover, Mychal Kendricks was a Reid leftover and Nigel Bradham was a Schwartz guy. 

Is it too late to bail Kendricks out of jail so he can start for us?

3 hours ago, RandyMossIsBoss said:

They’re the least valuable defensive position in modern NFL where passing is king and nickel has become true base

Unless you find blue chip talent like Arizona has now, Dallas has, Panthers , Ravens, 49ers and Seahawks have for decades.

If anything LB is viewed alot like Kickers by most fans. You don't realize just how important they are until you lose game after game because yours sucks.

I'd gladly use a Top 10 pick if a blue chip Decade long answer to LB was there like a Kuechly, Lewis, Willis, Wagner. Wouldn't think twice about it either.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Nabbs4u said:

Unless you find blue chip talent like Arizona has now, Dallas has, Panthers , Ravens, 49ers and Seahawks have for decades.

If anything LB is viewed alot like Kickers by most fans. You don't realize just how important they are until you lose game after game because yours sucks.

I'd gladly use a Top 10 pick if a blue chip Decade long answer to LB was there like a Kuechly, Lewis, Willis, Wagner. Wouldn't think twice about it either.

Check out Devin Lloyd. He's not blue chip, but he kind of reminds me of Bobby Wagner coming out. A 4.59 Bobby Wagner instead of a 4.49 Bobby Wagner. 

2 hours ago, Jeezla said:

Nicks press conferences are master classes in jibber jabber. He also said "like" about 50 times in 5 minutes.

I think I said it before, but we’re a blowout loss this week away from coming apart  at the seams.

If they play passively on defense, let Goff get comfy and tear them apart…you’re gonna lose a lotta guys. Double down that if the offense continues to be this inept.

Lots of guys out today, lots of players speaking out. The dam could break loose on that stuff.

As someone who hasn’t been impressed by anyone on this staff and would like to see Howie go…good. Only shot is an utter collapse and an ugly one at that. Hire a good director of college scouting, get an offensive minded coach who can actually make an offense and go forward with 3 firsts, a solid amount of cap space to make this team better.

39 minutes ago, Kiltman said:

I think I said it before, but we’re a blowout loss this week away from coming apart  at the seams.

If they play passively on defense, let Goff get comfy and tear them apart…you’re gonna lose a lotta guys. Double down that if the offense continues to be this inept.

Lots of guys out today, lots of players speaking out. The dam could break loose on that stuff.

As someone who hasn’t been impressed by anyone on this staff and would like to see Howie go…good. Only shot is an utter collapse and an ugly one at that. Hire a good director of college scouting, get an offensive minded coach who can actually make an offense and go forward with 3 firsts, a solid amount of cap space to make this team better.

Ya the only real ticket out of Howie sticking around for 2-3 more years is a complete disaster level fall apart and I am here for it. Take the lump today for a brighter future. Sirianni can be the martyr.

51 minutes ago, AZ_Eaglesfan said:

Ya the only real ticket out of Howie sticking around for 2-3 more years is a complete disaster level fall apart and I am here for it. Take the lump today for a brighter future. Sirianni can be the martyr.

I’ll take any of them having a McDermott level 2nd chance if it meant Howie got dragged down with them.