2022 NBA Draft Thread

NYRaider

2 hours ago, NYRaider said:

I'd want AJ Griffin, Shaedon Sharpe, or Jaden Ivey at the top of the draft. None of those guys will go top 3 but I'd swing on their potential over any of the top 3 prospects personally.

I probably would over anyone but Chet.  It would be nice if we send Grant to Portland and end up with two of those guys or one of them and Murray.  

Wouldn't mind the Spurs packaging all their picks for Ivey. That dude is dope.

Assuming they don't do that, hoping they can come out with one of Griffin or Mathurin or Murray or Sharpe at 9, and then one of Duren/Tari Eason/Sochan/Mark Williams by packaging up 20 and 25. Kennedy Chandler or Jean Montero in the 2nd would be coo. Maybe Kamagate. 

Griffin + Eason would be sweet.

Edited by Jeezla
  • Like 1

37 minutes ago, Jeezla said:

Wouldn't mind the Spurs packaging all their picks for Ivey. That dude is dope.

Assuming they don't do that, hoping they can come out with one of Griffin or Mathurin or Murray or Sharpe at 9, and then one of Duren/Tari Eason/Sochan/Mark Williams by packaging up 20 and 25. Kennedy Chandler or Jean Montero in the 2nd would be coo. Maybe Kamagate. 

Griffin + Eason would be sweet.

I think AJ Griffin or Jalen Duren would be nice picks for you, they both fit the Spurs mold. I think Griffin could be a star if he ends up in San Antonio. 

5 hours ago, Sllim Pickens said:

I probably would over anyone but Chet.  It would be nice if we send Grant to Portland and end up with two of those guys or one of them and Murray.  

Yeah sending Grant to Portland for #7 would be a nice value for you guys. 

I love Johnny Davis to New Orleans at #8, seems like a perfect fit. 

I really hope the Jazz are aggressive this year, we don't necessarily need to get back into the 1st round but I'd love to see us buy 2-3 2nd round picks. 

Then target guys like Leonard Miller and Wendell Moore Jr.

If Keels stays in, lord help us.

But multiple NBA sources who attended the combine and spoke with The Athletic this week said they would advise Keels to return to school, based on his below-average physical testing and inconsistency as a freshman. “You just wish,” one scout said, “there was duplication of the Kentucky game.” Keels scored 25 points on 10-of-18 shooting against the Wildcats in Duke’s season-opener (and did so with just one 3-point make), but he only topped 20 points twice in the remaining 34 games he played. (Keels did miss three contests with a midseason lower leg/calf injury.) Draft analysts have largely publicized Keels as a potential first-round pick, but that outcome now seems unlikely. “One-hundred percent he should go back,” one evaluator said. “He’ll be a G League guy if he doesn’t.”

ESPN’s @Jonathan Givony: says NBA teams believe it’s “all but assured” Orlando will pick Jabari Smith Jr & the “overwhelming expectation” is OKC will draft Chet Holmgren. He says Holmgren is thrilled. Nobody ever knows what OKC will do. But Givony is very plugged in on the draft.

@FinneasGage @KhanYouDigIt

Edited by NYRaider
  • Like 1

On 5/21/2022 at 6:17 PM, packerstk7 said:

I don’t see how Holmgren would be a star in the league. He’s just so skinny. He’d have to have agility like KD to succeed with that body. Obviously people can bulk up, so who knows.

I think teams will look at what Evan Mobley did last season and use that as a barometer for what they think Chet may be able to do. Though Mobley was more developed physically and probably better defensively coming into the league. While Chet projects as a better/more versatile scorer than Mobley. 

PER 40 Minutes:

Mobley: 19.3 ppg, 10.2 rpg, 2.8 apg, 3.4 bpg, 2.1 fpg on 57%/30%/69%

Chet: 21.0 ppg, 14.7 rpg, 2.8 apg, 5.4 bpg, 3.9 fpg on 61%/39%/72%

One concern with Chet though is that he didn't play well when Gonzaga played against good teams. In their 7 games against power 5 schools (plus Memphis w/Duren) he struggled.

In those 7 games he averaged (26 mpg): 9.7 ppg, 9.0 rpg, 1.0 apg, 3.1 bpg, 3.6 fpg on 53% FG, 20% 3FG, 50% FT. 

In those 7 games he was 4/20 from 3, only had 1 steal, and was in foul trouble in 6/7. 

Jabari Smith and Chet Holmgren are both super unique prospects.

I think Smith is the safer pick because if worst comes to worst he's probably still a very good 3&D guy and I don't really see him being a complete bust. I don't think he'll ever live up to the hype that comes with being a top 2 pick but I also think he's a guy that you can win with, sort of like Mikal Bridges, not in terms of who they are as players but just the role that they play. 

Holmgren definitely has the most upside of any player in the draft because we just really haven't seen any prospect like him in recent cycles. Seeing what Evan Mobley was able to do in Cleveland is also encouraging if you're a Chet supporter. Chet's numbers in college were actually better than Mobley's too but he did struggle against better competition and isn't as physically developed at the same stage, even though both were 20 years old at the time they were drafted. I could see Chet being very good, solid, or a complete bust, injuries will probably play a major factor especially with his frame. 

I'd rank Banchero a tier below both of those guys just because I don't think he has the physical upside or defensive potential. I think he's a safer pick than both because he's going to be able to score in the NBA, the question will become how efficient can he score, can he become more well rounded, and can he defend? @CWood21 made a good comparison, Paolo is basically a less athletic version of Blake Griffin. Julius Randle is another comparison that I think is fair not exactly in terms of play style but just in terms of impact and what they do on the court.