2022 NBA Draft Thread

NYRaider

6 hours ago, NYRaider said:

I'd rank Banchero a tier below both of those guys just because I don't think he has the physical upside or defensive potential. I think he's a safer pick than both because he's going to be able to score in the NBA, the question will become how efficient can he score, can he become more well rounded, and can he defend? @CWood21 made a good comparison, Paolo is basically a less athletic version of Blake Griffin. Julius Randle is another comparison that I think is fair not exactly in terms of play style but just in terms of impact and what they do on the court. 

I saw a Julius Randle comparison, and I'm not a fan of it.  Randle was a vacuum when it came to rebounding the ball.  He was an animal on the boards, and from what limited time I looked into Paulo Banchero it doesn't seem like he had that same kind of ferocity when it came to securing the rebound.  Also, Randle was a miserable shooter coming out of Kentucky.  I remember @beekay414 and I discussing it ad nauseam, and while his shooting did improve in the NBA he was a really bad shooter, and he was extremely ball dominant with his left hand.  Feel like Banchero is a better facing up then Randle was.

3 minutes ago, CWood21 said:

I saw a Julius Randle comparison, and I'm not a fan of it.  Randle was a vacuum when it came to rebounding the ball.  He was an animal on the boards, and from what limited time I looked into Paulo Banchero it doesn't seem like he had that same kind of ferocity when it came to securing the rebound.  Also, Randle was a miserable shooter coming out of Kentucky.  I remember @beekay414 and I discussing it ad nauseam, and while his shooting did improve in the NBA he was a really bad shooter, and he was extremely ball dominant with his left hand.  Feel like Banchero is a better facing up then Randle was.

I don't mean exactly the same in terms of their playing style, I meant more so in terms of potential impact. Like how Randle was a 24/10/6 player on a playoff team last year and an All-Star but it's evident that he's not a true superstar. That's the same type of player that I think Paolo can be, as you said like a less athletic Blake Griffin. I'm just talking in terms of impact, like I think Paolo will be a 20+ ppg guy at some point but I don't view him as someone particularly valuable or someone that you build a championship team around.

9 minutes ago, FinneasGage said:

stats don't really do it justice to the extent of ball-stopping and times he went iso draining the entire shot clock and then passing out to a ****ty look 

Y'all need a #1 scorer, enter Paolo Banchero.

1 hour ago, Sllim Pickens said:

Jabari Parker was also supposed to be the real deal in that draft.  Was supposed to be the most stacked top of the draft in a while and flopped for the most part aside from Embiid.  Just think that the Bucks could have had Embiid and Giannis together.  

Jabari Parker was good early in his career, injuries killed him.

1 minute ago, NYRaider said:

I don't mean exactly the same in terms of their playing style, I meant more so in terms of potential impact. Like how Randle was a 24/10/6 player on a playoff team last year and an All-Star but it's evident that he's not a true superstar. That's the same type of player that I think Paolo can be, as you said like a less athletic Blake Griffin. I'm just talking in terms of impact, like I think Paolo will be a 20+ ppg guy at some point but I don't view him as someone particularly valuable or someone that you build a championship team around.

Of the 3, he seems like the most likely to achieve "stardom", bu the's also the most likely to flame out of the bunch.

1 hour ago, THE DUKE said:

No, he was on then, but the NBA is an 82 game grind, and you can't have one of your core players taking weeks off.  It's not like college where he can just assume to be in the postseason.

That has been an issue for Duke players under Coach K for a while due to his overplay man defense.

1 minute ago, CWood21 said:

Of the 3, he seems like the most likely to achieve "stardom", bu the's also the most likely to flame out of the bunch.

I honestly think Paolo is the safest pick because at worst he'll probably be a volume scorer that rebounds at a decent rate. He's just too skilled at his size to be a complete bust, imo. At worst he'll be like a Christian Wood type of player in terms of impact. 

Jabari Smith is pretty safe to me I think at worst he'll be like a Bridges/Barnes, 3&D wing that doesn't live up to the hype of where he was selected but can still contribute to winning.

Chet to me is by far the most risky prospect, I could see him being a star or completely flaming out.

3 minutes ago, NYRaider said:

I honestly think Paolo is the safest pick because at worst he'll probably be a volume scorer that rebounds at a decent rate. He's just too skilled at his size to be a complete bust, imo. At worst he'll be like a Christian Wood type of player in terms of impact. 

Jabari Smith is pretty safe to me I think at worst he'll be like a Bridges/Barnes, 3&D wing that doesn't live up to the hype of where he was selected but can still contribute to winning.

Chet to me is by far the most risky prospect, I could see him being a star or completely flaming out.

I get Myles Turner vibes when watching Chet Holmgren.  I'm not sure there's any real upside there in terms of being an impact, star player but I think you'll get a big guy with good shooting touch and weakside defense.  I think his lack of bulk makes him a poor individual defender.

15 minutes ago, NYRaider said:

I agree at Paolo being the safest.  I think Paolo will be a Tobias Harris type where he should be the 2nd or 3rd best player on a contending team but he has the potential to be much better than that.  I would say current Harris is a floor for him but he has a high ceiling. 

I think Jabari is the biggest wildcard as I think once guys are similar athletes and size, he will struggle given he cant create.  You'd hope that leads to still playing D but still not sold on his desire there.  His shot should carry over but he needs to be more than a spot up shooter to be worth the top 5 pick. 

Chet I think has the highest ceiling and probably a similarly low floor to Jabari due to his build.  He is a stick figure version of AD in that he has the guard skills to go with his size which is rare.  He leads breaks with the best of them and outlets better than anyone since Kevin Love.  I think his big risk is injury but if he stays healthy, he will at least be a very good starter.  If he adds 20 lbs in the next year or two, he will be dynamic.  

I am leaning towards Ivey being one of the safer picks just because of his skill and athletic ability but I think he needs to work on his BB IQ.  

Sharpe and AG have high upsides but are bigger risks either due to injury or just unknown from such little tape on them against top competition. 

23 minutes ago, CWood21 said:

I get Myles Turner vibes when watching Chet Holmgren.  I'm not sure there's any real upside there in terms of being an impact, star player but I think you'll get a big guy with good shooting touch and weakside defense.  I think his lack of bulk makes him a poor individual defender.

The fact that Chet is 20 and he's still like 190 pounds isn't very encouraging. I agree that his skill level is a little bit exaggerated. 

4 minutes ago, Sllim Pickens said:

I agree at Paolo being the safest.  I think Paolo will be a Tobias Harris type where he should be the 2nd or 3rd best player on a contending team but he has the potential to be much better than that.  I would say current Harris is a floor for him but he has a high ceiling. 

I think Jabari is the biggest wildcard as I think once guys are similar athletes and size, he will struggle given he cant create.  You'd hope that leads to still playing D but still not sold on his desire there.  His shot should carry over but he needs to be more than a spot up shooter to be worth the top 5 pick. 

Chet I think has the highest ceiling and probably a similarly low floor to Jabari due to his build.  He is a stick figure version of AD in that he has the guard skills to go with his size which is rare.  He leads breaks with the best of them and outlets better than anyone since Kevin Love.  I think his big risk is injury but if he stays healthy, he will at least be a very good starter.  If he adds 20 lbs in the next year or two, he will be dynamic.  

I am leaning towards Ivey being one of the safer picks just because of his skill and athletic ability but I think he needs to work on his BB IQ.  

Sharpe and AG have high upsides but are bigger risks either due to injury or just unknown from such little tape on them against top competition. 

Agreed I think Paolo will be like a 20 point/7 board/3 assist type of player sooner rather than later that also plays average defense. 

Even if Jabari doesn't ever become an elite creator I think a bigger Harrison Barnes is about what he could be, he's younger than Chet too by a whole year IIRC. 

Jaden Ivey reminds me of Oladipo when he was coming out of Indiana.