2022 NBA Draft Thread

NYRaider

13 minutes ago, NYRaider said:

Jaden Ivey reminds me of Oladipo when he was coming out of Indiana. 

Thats a fair comp.  Both combo guards that are super athletic.  If Victor didn't have injury issues he probably would have been a star longer in the league.  I'd take peak Oladipo on the Pistons for sure at 5.  

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Sllim Pickens said:

Thats a fair comp.  Both combo guards that are super athletic.  If Victor didn't have injury issues he probably would have been a star longer in the league.  I'd take peak Oladipo on the Pistons for sure at 5.  

I like Ivey the most of the realistic options for the Pistons. His athleticism next to Cade could be really fun. 

5 minutes ago, THE DUKE said:

I'd gamble on Sharpe before taking Ivey

I don't know enough about Sharpe but I wouldn't be mad at it.  Lots of risk there with Sharpe where as Ivey is safer.  Either work for me though.  I am guessing one of the two goes at 4 either to the guard loving Kings or someone who trades up.  

5 minutes ago, Sllim Pickens said:

Basically identical size profiles at 6'4" 200 with 6'9" wingspans. 

Ivey is a better shooter/creator but Oladipo was a more efficient scorer overall although kind of a non-shooter coming out of Indiana. 

3 minutes ago, Sllim Pickens said:

I don't know enough about Sharpe but I wouldn't be mad at it.  Lots of risk there with Sharpe where as Ivey is safer.  Either work for me though.  I am guessing one of the two goes at 4 either to the guard loving Kings or someone who trades up.  

The Kings should trade the pick but I think they'll go Ivey or Murray.

When it comes down to Sharpe and Ivey, it depends on what your team needs and how you want to build. Do you want the shooter that has the ability to finish off the ball (Sharpe) or do you want the guy that can create his own shot, with the potential to create for others, and has an excellent first step/blow by ability (Ivey)? I think, if Ivey's jumper comes around, his ceiling is higher than Sharpe's since Sharpe's first step is pretty meh. He's a crafty scorer but all that we've seen is his ability to get his shot off vs high schoolers. You'd have to trust that it translates. 

If I had the pick, I'm taking Ivey and not thinking twice. Could regret it but you can't teach his ability to blow by guys.

Edited by beekay414
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, beekay414 said:

When it comes down to Sharpe and Ivey, it depends on what your team needs and how you want to build. Do you want the shooter that has the ability to finish off the ball (Sharpe) or do you want the guy that can create his own shot, with the potential to create for others, and has an excellent first step/blow by ability (Ivey)? I think, if Ivey's jumper comes around, his ceiling is higher than Sharpe's since Sharpe's first step is pretty meh. He's a crafty scorer but all that we've seen is his ability to get his shot off vs high schoolers. You'd have to trust that it translates. 

If I had the pick, I'm taking Ivey and not thinking twice. Could regret it but you can't teach his ability to blow by guys.

That's the thing with Sharpe, IIRC no NBA scouts have even seen him play in person, so you're just taking a major gamble.

5 minutes ago, NYRaider said:

That's the thing with Sharpe, IIRC no NBA scouts have even seen him play in person, so you're just taking a major gamble.

Yep. I don't trust basing my opinion on him off of high school tape. We've seen that HS means nothing these days. If you are a team that worked him out, you better have worked him out vs professional players and he better have impressed to the max. He's got like one move with his handle and settles for it every time he tries to iso. He's not good at ISOing IMO. Well, not at the level he'd need to do it in the NBA. 

With his first step, he'd need to have DJ Wagner's arsenal for me to be comfortable taking him over Ivey.

Edited by beekay414

I do think Ivey is a nice pair for Cade though, the fit is good.  I think you have a better chance of drafting a superstar with Sharpe.  Ivey's floor is much higher and has a high ceiling himself.  I just don't see a superstar.

• Like 1

Just now, THE DUKE said:

I do think Ivey is a nice pair for Cade though, the fit is good.  I think you have a better chance of drafting a superstar with Sharpe.  Ivey's floor is much higher and has a high ceiling himself.  I just don't see a superstar.

Ivey has all the tools to be a superstar. Whether he puts them together or not is an entirely different question.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, THE DUKE said:

Purdue's offense didn't do him any favors. They play at a very old school, methodical pace.