Paul Depodesta re-signed for five years

hornbybrown

It was done awhile ago but first acknowledged by ownership today. He really is the key to where we are at now. No Kevin and Andrew without Paul.

Still remember how happy I was the day we first signed him. He is so smart that he makes other smart people look stupid 

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, NateDawg said:

Sometimes I wish we could go back to the debates were people on the forum thought hiring smart people was a disadvantage.

About a year before we hired him I posted a thread about if there was a moneyball/ advanced analytics approach to football we could take. Never in my wildest dream could I imagine we would hire him

• Like 2

36 minutes ago, NudeTayne said:

That's a long time for someone to quit--seems attention-seeking, but that's just me 🤷‍♂️.

Tayne with Boomer level dad grammar pun jokes that don’t even get a courtesy chuckle confirmed.

20 hours ago, NateDawg said:

Sometimes I wish we could go back to the debates where people on the forum thought hiring smart people was a disadvantage.

I will die on the hill that Sashi's tenure was horrendous and there was good reason not to have faith in that brain trust with the 2018 draft.

We would have been a lot better any route we took that wasn't Truckstop Jimmy staffing the organization without any coherent ideology or structure or compatibility.

I'm happy he's sticking with DePo though, it seems like everybody is on the same page because the organization is running more through him now.

43 minutes ago, Rod Johnson said:

I will die on the hill that Sashi's tenure was horrendous and there was good reason not to have faith in that brain trust with the 2018 draft.

I mean, you know where I stand, but his tenure started with being overruled on the head coach.

Sashi and DePo wanted McDermott and Truckstop wanted Hue Jacksident.

DePo is still here, Sashi’s #2 (and the head of player personnel) is the GM… At some point it kinda becomes clear that maybe Jimmy was listening to the wrong people then and finally realized it.

As far as ‘18, Baker was the number one analytically, and iirc it wasn’t particularly close. So if they value those metrics….  As far as Ward and Chubb, who knows, but there were a half dozen dudes there at 4 to pick from that would have been great.

• Like 2

40 minutes ago, LETSGOBROWNIES said:

I mean, you know where I stand, but his tenure started with being overruled on the head coach.

Sashi and DePo wanted McDermott and Truckstop wanted Hue Jacksident.

DePo is still here, Sashi’s #2 (and the head of player personnel) is the GM… At some point it kinda becomes clear that maybe Jimmy was listening to the wrong people then and finally realized it.

As far as ‘18, Baker was the number one analytically, and iirc it wasn’t particularly close. So if they value those metrics….  As far as Ward and Chubb, who knows, but there were a half dozen dudes there at 4 to pick from that would have been great.

As fans I don't know how privy we all were to the inner dynamics of the organization.  The roster and drafts they put together were very underwhelming.  I don't think I was against hiring smart guys, I think most people wanted to replace them with guys that had some prior success in the league.

I think Dorsey and his experience constructing the roster was pretty pivotal to being in the position we are in now.  I also think we fired him at a perfect time. 

You're right Jimmy should have just ran everything through DePo the entire time.  Just the philosophy of giving the ivy league guys in your FO one ear and then giving Hue Jackson your other ear, then trusting yourself to discern which direction to go was horrible.

Despite that in the crazy hypothetical that we were to win the Super Bowl in 2022, I don't think the story would be allowing the smart guys to build the smart guy team.  It would be a story of floundering around being historically terrible, hiring the guy that built the KC Chiefs to use your assets, Peter's Principle playing out on that guy and 2 coaches, Jimmy finally realizing he should just give the keys to one guy, then DePo creating sweet beautiful organizational unity to capitalize on the bounty Jimmy folly'd his way into.

• Like 2

9 hours ago, Rod Johnson said:

As fans I don't know how privy we all were to the inner dynamics of the organization. 

Oh absolutely, I’m just putting 2 and 2 together based on who’s still here and who was brought back and who’s not here. The McDermott thing was pretty widely reported years ago though, and based on the conflict between Hue and the nerds, it seems to make sense.

The roster and drafts they put together were very underwhelming. 

Eh... the roster they inherited was pretty bad. Like, expensive, old, and devoid of talent almost entirely.  We had some OL and nothing else.

I don't think I was against hiring smart guys, I think most people wanted to replace them with guys that had some prior success in the league.

Just as a point of fact, Stefanski and Berry were both in their first year in those roles last season.  I’d rather have competent people than old guys who get the job because they’ve been around forever.

I think Dorsey and his experience constructing the roster was pretty pivotal to being in the position we are in now.  I also think we fired him at a perfect time. 

The ‘18 class was huge.  He knocked that out of the park, no doubt. ‘19 was arguably worse than anything Sashi ever did though, depending on what Greedy becomes.

They went about things differently though.  Sashi was building while adding capital and cap space.  Dorsey just spent all that capital and lots of that cash.  One is much easier to do and not as sustainable.

You're right Jimmy should have just ran everything through DePo the entire time.  Just the philosophy of giving the ivy league guys in your FO one ear and then giving Hue Jackson your other ear, then trusting yourself to discern which direction to go was horrible.

Despite that in the crazy hypothetical that we were to win the Super Bowl in 2022, I don't think the story would be allowing the smart guys to build the smart guy team.  It would be a story of floundering around being historically terrible, hiring the guy that built the KC Chiefs to use your assets, Peter's Principle playing out on that guy and 2 coaches, Jimmy finally realizing he should just give the keys to one guy, then DePo creating sweet beautiful organizational unity to capitalize on the bounty Jimmy folly'd his way into.

Ah well, all that **** seems to be over and we’re headed in the right direction AT LAST!

The 2019 offseason got us OBJ and Wyatt.

I still think Sione can be a solid LB. He’s the only guy from that 2019 class I have any confidence in being something. He can be a starter, he just can’t be your best LB.

Greedy is made of paper.

Edited by candyman93

51 minutes ago, candyman93 said:

The 2019 offseason got us OBJ and Wyatt.

I still think Sione can be a solid LB. He’s the only guy from that 2019 class I have any confidence in being something. He can be a starter, he just can’t be your best LB.

Greedy is made of paper.

Wyatt was a great trade, good call. 

In all honesty I haven’t seen anything from OBJ that makes me think that was a good trade. Peppers, that first and third would likely help us more than OBJ has imo.