Bears vs Awkward Ocean Mammals - Week One of the 2021 Preseason

Sugashane

3 hours ago, AZBearsFan said:

Correct, in 2017 - my bad. But, he was released by MIN early in his rookie year and never made an active roster anywhere the past 3 seasons. So, one small step above a UDFA nobody. 🤷‍♂️

i read he actually "retired" at one point to pursue a career in acting

59 minutes ago, soulman said:

I would keep Ridley over Wims any day if they want a bigger WR who can block.  He's not as big as Wims but he's got at least 10-20lbs on most of the others with the exception of Robinson.  Wims has peaked and other than as a blocker he just not all that good.

I think they're both pretty bad, Ridley was a 4th and hasn't seen the field. He doesn't even show up in practice... Not sure what he really brings to the team.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, The_Romen said:

I think they're both pretty bad, Ridley was a 4th and hasn't seen the field. He doesn't even show up in practice... Not sure what he really brings to the team.

Wims value was primarily as a blocker on runs.  Ridley is the only other WR whose over 6' tall and over 200lbs whose showing up so if they feel a need to a blocker and he's any good at it that might do it.

Tabor has also been trying Wims as a gunner on punt coverage.  Obviously that hasn't worked so far.  Can Ridley do enough on STeams to stick?

1 hour ago, soulman said:

Wims value was primarily as a blocker on runs.  Ridley is the only other WR whose over 6' tall and over 200lbs whose showing up so if they feel a need to a blocker and he's any good at it that might do it.

Tabor has also been trying Wims as a gunner on punt coverage.  Obviously that hasn't worked so far.  Can Ridley do enough on STeams to stick?

He doesn't even get on the field in preseason. He's had 6 and 9 catch seasons. After being a 4th rounder. This guy ain't even half his brother... It's harsh because I was rooting for him.

Wims showed something his first couple years, Ridley has been inactive for most of it, I'd bet.

Our FO seems content to let these late round guys punch Chauncey in his helmet and just not play in general, they at least got SOMETHING with Miller. Iggy on defense is the same case as Ridley.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, The_Romen said:

He doesn't even get on the field in preseason. He's had 6 and 9 catch seasons. After being a 4th rounder. This guy ain't even half his brother... It's harsh because I was rooting for him.

Wims showed something his first couple years, Ridley has been inactive for most of it, I'd bet.

Our FO seems content to let these late round guys punch Chauncey in his helmet and just not play in general, they at least got SOMETHING with Miller. Iggy on defense is the same case as Ridley.

No doubt both are on the bubble we'll just have to see how many WRs they keep and who.

11 hours ago, soulman said:

The other thing to consider with Wims is that if a boxing match were to break out, the Bears have the upper hand most Sundays due to Wims' experience. 

3 hours ago, beardown3231 said:

The other thing to consider with Wims is that if a boxing match were to break out, the Bears have the upper hand most Sundays due to Wims' experience. 

Yeah, the guy that punches helmets is the one you want... I'll take Andre Johnson or AJ Green instead.

• Like 2

18 minutes ago, The_Romen said:

Yeah, the guy that punches helmets is the one you want... I'll take Andre Johnson or AJ Green instead.

One is retired though & the other is with another team. Dude you have to look at the bright side with players. He may stink at football but you just never know when Randy Orton may try to RKO Montgomery out of nowhere and they'll need Wims to slug him

• Like 1

No NFL DC ever:   "Oh crap, they are putting in the run blocking WR."

Alternatively what did teams yell when Mooney came on field last year?:   "Speed, speed, speed"

That is both a compliment to Mooney and an insult to Bears WR core of 2020.

• Like 4

14 hours ago, dll2000 said:

No NFL DC ever:   "Oh crap, they are putting in the run blocking WR."

Alternatively what did teams yell when Mooney came on field last year?:   "Speed, speed, speed"

That is both a compliment to Mooney and an insult to Bears WR core of 2020.

LOL.....point well taken.

How 'bout a 4 WR spread with ARob in the slot and the 3 speed merchants flanked out wide?

We don't need any WR as run blockers if the CBs and Safeties are 30 yards or more downfield.  🤣

1 hour ago, RunningVaccs said:

By the way, I haven't yet had a chance to do this for the upcoming season yet, but, DOOOMED WE'RE DOOMED ALL IS LOST!

In all seriousness,  so long as the dire OL situation doesn't physically destroy Justin Fields, and he gets reps and improves I still don't care how the season goes. 

A lot of things will have to happen and would have had to happen that haven’t happened for Bears to be 2021 contenders.  

The gap between best teams in league and a Nagy/Dalton led Bears squad seems fairly immense.  

• Like 3

3 hours ago, RunningVaccs said:

By the way, I haven't yet had a chance to do this for the upcoming season yet, but, DOOOMED WE'RE DOOMED ALL IS LOST!

In all seriousness,  so long as the dire OL situation doesn't physically destroy Justin Fields, and he gets reps and improves I still don't care how the season goes. 

I was talking with malagabear last night long distance from Malaga, Spain.  He's doing fine and he sends his best while at the same time telling all his plate is very full at the moment so he has had little time to post.

We both share a similar attitude to yours Vaccs.  Drafting Fields has improved our apathy slightly yet the uncertainty surrounding Nagy and his ability to actually develop Fields and put a lights out offense on the field remains in doubt.

I'll repeat what I've posted before and shared with Jim.

Fields may end up being Nagy's savior or his undoing.  In the opinion of at least some Fields could be a bigger, faster version of Russell Wilson in the making.  If somehow Nagy cannot create an offense that allows Fields to rise to that level then the Bears ownership and management needs to look back at his inability to also bring out the best in Trubisky and the failure of 5 different QBs to succeed with his offense and play calling.

Nagy has all but destroyed whatever initial faith I've had in him.  While I credit Nagy and Pace for having assembled what I consider to be an excellent staff of coordinators and assistant coaches they can do little good as long as he keeps insisting on doing it all his way including his stubborn refusal to give up play calling.  He really has become as much or more an anchor than the wind in the offenses sails.

• Like 3

I like Nagy fine as a head coach, but I still don't know what his offense is. Sometimes he calls a great play and is let down by personnel; lots of times in 2019 especially when play would work, guys would be open, and Trubisky throws a dime to the popcorn guy. Sometimes he makes a boneheaded clock decision or playcall. Honestly I think most of the middling/average/unkown coasches would look good if they have a good QB, decent OL, and decent WR.  We have never really had that (currently have ONE of those things) so I just don't know.  Hopefully this season his scheme shows some promise, as I feel like he's here for a couple years*, so maybe we'll know?

*I think Pace and Nagy are here for a while, barring either a total collapse of the team, or Fields having some huge issue that only reveals itself this season. I feel like the former is unlikely, and the ONLY thin reason I ahve to wonder about the latter is Ben Albright. 

5 hours ago, dll2000 said:

A lot of things will have to happen and would have had to happen that haven’t happened for Bears to be 2021 contenders.  

The gap between best teams in league and a Nagy/Dalton led Bears squad seems fairly immense.  

Nobody in their right mind believes the Bears are 2021 contenders. That ship has sailed.