Bears vs Awkward Ocean Mammals - Week One of the 2021 Preseason

Sugashane

15 minutes ago, JAF-N72EX said:

Jesse James right now and it isn't even close based on what I've been reading.

I just read someone use the words "emerging player" to describe him after the 1st preseason game only because he caught a TD on a play against broken coverage from backups who won't even see the field this year.

Nah, Jesse and Justin have been hooking up regularly in practice.  We have great depth a TE for a change but I have to wonder how they're gonna find enough targets to feed Graham, Kmet, and James.

I don't believe Gentry never even made an NFL roster.  Jesse James is an established NFL vet with street cred.

10 hours ago, Heinz D. said:

Dolphins fans can grunt about Fields was playing against backups

Pure rationalizing by the loser fan.  Packer fans have been perfecting this since the '70s as an excuse for why the team declined in the post-Lombardi era.  Some of them may have to bone up on it again if Love proves to be far less proficient than Rodgers.

One of my favorites was we woulda won if we didn't have to play against the refs too.  Or, they're just got lucky Marcol missed that FG.  We outplayed them by a long shot.  Who cares how or why you lost except the coaches and players whose jobs are on the line.

The only thing that matter is the score when the final gun sounds.

9 hours ago, AZBearsFan said:

100% I do. And like I said in my earlier post, the things he did really well translate regardless of the competition (accuracy overall and on the move, pocket instincts and poise, and both having elite speed for the QB position and using that speed to create favorable passing opportunities outside the pocket).

He’s making Rodney Adams and Jon’Vea Johnson (a couple of undrafted nobodies as far as the NFL has been concerned) look like legit WR prospects and Jesse James (a TE2/TE3 on his 3rd team in 4 years and unrostered 4+ months into FA) look like a guy who should be starting for half the teams in the league right now. It’s not a big stretch to think when he’s playing with actual NFL level skill position players that his performance will ascend or at least be on par with what we saw yesterday, even as the competition improves. 

When I watch Fields play I get an immediate sense of his leadership ability.  He's not all cocky but he seems to have a "I got this" kind of confidence coming out of every pore.  He didn't allow two three and out series or a fumble get in his head.  He just picked back up where he left off and corrected whatever problems he was facing.  No "deer in the headlights" shakiness at all.

We may finally have a QB who actually does make everyone around him better.  IMHO this has been a key to the Packers success and New England's as well.  Rodgers and Brady are both capable of getting the very best out of certain players that they have to offer even those who weren't highly drafted skill players or NFL super stars.  Lookin' forward to the next game.

On 8/14/2021 at 7:01 PM, Epyon said:

Kick returns where constantly putting offense into atrocious field positions, via constantly doing the Patterson "run the ball out no matter what" thing. None of them are talented enough to do that in the reg season, and it better be just a "let them run it, so we can gauge what we have" thing.

its preseason dude. evaluating kick returners and special teams is pretty hard to do when you're constantly taking touchbacks

• Like 1

23 hours ago, HuskieBear said:

Adams was a 5th round pick by the Vikings a couple years ago, fyi

Correct, in 2017 - my bad. But, he was released by MIN early in his rookie year and never made an active roster anywhere the past 3 seasons. So, one small step above a UDFA nobody. 🤷‍♂️

• Like 1

53 minutes ago, AZBearsFan said:

Correct, in 2017 - my bad. But, he was released by MIN early in his rookie year and never made an active roster anywhere the past 3 seasons. So, one small step above a UDFA nobody. 🤷‍♂️

Adams is another pass catcher that Fields seems to have developed some deep trust in and rapport with.  James is the other.  Both should make the final 53.

1 hour ago, The_Romen said:

Wims should be gone, then.

I would keep Ridley over Wims any day if they want a bigger WR who can block.  He's not as big as Wims but he's got at least 10-20lbs on most of the others with the exception of Robinson.  Wims has peaked and other than as a blocker he just not all that good.