Browns defensive core.

Kiwibrown

Our defense could be as strong as our offensive core in a years time., with a yers play under their belt, hell even by the end of the year they could really be playing well. 

Defensive line

Myles Garrett

Jordan Elliot
Tommy Togiai

Linebacker 

Jeremiah Owusu-Koramoa  
Jacob Phillips 
Sione Takitaki
Tony Fields 

Denzel Ward
Greg Newsome
Troy Hill 

John Johnson III
Richard LeCounte
Grant Delphit

By this list we are seeking the elusive bookend beside  Myles Garrett to complete, a competent defense and then a strong defensive tackle to really push it over the line. This defense also shows us how Berry wants to build a defense, he wants to build it from back to front, stop the pass, rush the pass, stop the run. Also Berry is willing to rent a defense but not an offense, he will give out some savy 1 year contract next year to fill gaps across our defense. 

I think we can really be excited about the next two years. 

As a Browns fan, we are potentially losing Clowney, Harrison, Malcolm Smith, Malik Jackson, Anthony Walker and we could still have a very strong defense . 

Id also add perhaps Berrys weakness is scouting defensive linemen, so far he has not hit on a signing or a draft pick. Togiai has not popped, Wilson has not popped, Billings looks terrible after a year off, Jordan Elliot only looks serviceable with some above average pass rush upside. 

51 minutes ago, Kiwibrown said:

Id also add perhaps Berrys weakness is scouting defensive linemen, so far he has not hit on a signing or a draft pick. Togiai has not popped, Wilson has not popped, Billings looks terrible after a year off, Jordan Elliot only looks serviceable with some above average pass rush upside. 

You are making those assumption after 2 preseason games, where the strength of our DL isn’t playing. our DTs need to develop and Garrett and Clowney are going to help these guys develop

its also really hard to scout DTs. Think that might be the hardest but even the high 1st rd guys aren’t always a sure thing.

also cant say he cant scout DTs, where he has young guys that still deserve time to develop. 

Edited by buno67
  • Like 1

I think the core truly is Garrett, JOK, Ward, and Newsome.

I say that because those guys all show they should see another contract with the team, once their current ones expire. I have faith in Newsome and JOK. Those others could maybe be part of that but they have to prove it. Guys like JJIII and Hill won’t get a 2nd contract cause of age IMO

21 minutes ago, NudeTayne said:

Don't blow all your negativity on one post. Leave them wanting more 

It’s not negativity it’s just realistic. None of those guys have shown anything and could easily be cut in favor of someone else who’s been cut from another team. Those guys could still be added to the PS. We really need quality players at DT and Lb. especially with Phillips going down and Billings looking like crap. If someone cut a starter quality player we might pick them up instead of those guys. 

8 minutes ago, sdrawkcab321 said:

It’s not negativity it’s just realistic. None of those guys have shown anything and could easily be cut in favor of someone else who’s been cut from another team. Those guys could still be added to the PS. We really need quality players at DT and Lb. especially with Phillips going down and Billings looking like crap. If someone cut a starter quality player we might pick them up instead of those guys. 

We have Malik Jackson, who we presume will be quality.
I thought both Sheldon Day and Malik Mcdowell looked decent.
I like Jordan Elliot to get better. 

That gives us 4 guys, Id keep Togiai and then aim to get Wilson on the PS> 
Billings has to go, he looked terrible. 

3 hours ago, Kiwibrown said:

Scrabble mov3 across the western pond or something.

or does he now have competition as the overwhelming ray of sunshine for our forum.

the constant negativity should not be coming from the land of hobbits

• Like 1

1 hour ago, sdrawkcab321 said:

I dont think teams release players they just drafted after 2 preseason games. Not every draft pick can light the world on fire immediately from their first snap.

They have far more invested in Elliott/Togiai than they do Wilson/McDowell so even if its close, the former will get the benefit over the latter. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, AkronsWitness said:

I dont think teams release players they just drafted after 2 preseason games. Not every draft pick can light the world on fire immediately from their first snap.

They have far more invested in Elliott/Togiai than they do Wilson/McDowell so even if its close, the former will get the benefit over the latter. 

I think we carry 5 Dts because of the uncertainty. 

McDowell looks good, Day looks good, we need to keep them, Jackson is staying, that is 3, then we keep Togiai and Elliot. 

• Like 1