RB Sony Michel traded to the LA Rams

Iron_man

Solid move. We had to get a HB behind Henderson who could be a lead back if Hendo goes down and share the load when Hendo is healthy. Funk has flashed some, but he's unplayable on passing downs right now. Jones doesn't appear to have the sand in his pants to carry the load if Hendo got hurt.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, AZ_Eaglesfan said:

Genuinely curious. Are we blaming Caserio for the bad draft picks because BB can't do wrong or was he legit the top guy in NE and responsible for the draft. I always thought BB was the called the shots, not to say drafting isn't an organization wide operation, but typically the guy pulling the trigger receives most of the blame for failed draft picks. 

nobody knows lol

• Like 1

Like the move for Rams as it landed them a replacement for Cam this year but they arent financially hurting and pushes LA to be competitive at both levels of offense adding an extra punch that henderson doesnt offer. Its good for Michel too as he will get out of a crowded backfield. 

2 hours ago, jrry32 said:

Solid move. We had to get a HB behind Henderson who could be a lead back if Hendo goes down and share the load when Hendo is healthy. Funk has flashed some, but he's unplayable on passing downs right now. Jones doesn't appear to have the sand in his pants to carry the load if Hendo got hurt.

• Like 2

17 minutes ago, Kiwibrown said:

It seems like the rams get ripped off in trades with the Pat's. 

Cooks for a 1st, now Son y for a 4th

A starting caliber player for a 4th round pick hardly seems like a ripoff, regardless of position.

And the trade for Cooks - while he only played for two years - helped the Rams average 33 points per game and make the Super Bowl. The Patriots drafted Wynn with that pick, who while he's a good player, lacks in the best ability as the old adage goes.

Depends on how you view trades, but I certainly would have rather have had Cooks for just his one good year versus Wynn's injury riddled 3 years thus far.

58 minutes ago, FrantikRam said:

A starting caliber player for a 4th round pick hardly seems like a ripoff, regardless of position.

And the trade for Cooks - while he only played for two years - helped the Rams average 33 points per game and make the Super Bowl. The Patriots drafted Wynn with that pick, who while he's a good player, lacks in the best ability as the old adage goes.

Depends on how you view trades, but I certainly would have rather have had Cooks for just his one good year versus Wynn's injury riddled 3 years thus far.

Wynn vs cook is a false equivalence imo. 

There were probably other guys drafted at around that spot worth more than either. 

I view a 4th as a valuable asset in terms of team building. I guess if sonny goes against his pro trend and gets Upton where we thought he would be or close, it's a great trade. But sonny is what is a d I doubt he has a career resurgence, even when healthy he hasn't looked great.

46 minutes ago, Kiwibrown said:

There were probably other guys drafted at around that spot worth more than either. 

I view a 4th as a valuable asset in terms of team building. I guess if sonny goes against his pro trend and gets Upton where we thought he would be or close, it's a great trade. But sonny is what is a d I doubt he has a career resurgence, even when healthy he hasn't looked great.

A 6th round pick with a future 4th, no 4th rounder this year. And Michel provides something the Rams need and we're slated with comp picks to end up with 11 picks next year and 4 of them are 6th rounders. Sending one of them for a chance at a RB to help us in a playoff push is a very small price to pay. The 4th rounder next year put whatever value you want on it but if we succeed this year with Michel's help it's a very small price to pay.

47 minutes ago, Kiwibrown said:

Seems to me that the Rams have bucked conventional wisdom for years. We believe that draft picks are overvalued and veterans are undervalued. Our rationale seems to be that we can draft well enough outside of the first round to compensate for the loss of picks and the veterans we acquire do more than enough to boost our chances of winning.

FWIW, I don't know a single Rams fan upset about this trade. We knew we desperately needed a veteran HB. Our choices appeared limited. And Michel is a guy who offers both proven ability that we need and some upside. Fact is that while Michel's 2019 season wasn't good, he averaged 5.7 yards per carry last year and 4.5 yards per carry as a rookie. He also reportedly is much more effective on zone plays than gap plays, which plays well in our scheme.

I don't expect Michel to be what Cam Akers looked to be (a budding star). That isn't necessary to our success. We just need a HB to pair with Henderson who isn't unplayable on passing downs and is capable of leading if Hendo gets nicked up. If the dude outperforms that role, that'll be icing on the cake.

• Like 2

59 minutes ago, Kiwibrown said:

It depends on what Michel brings this year, but saying he hasn't looked good is a bit odd. He's been injured, sure - but he had 336 yards and 6 TDs across three playoff games in 2018. He also averaged over 5 ypc last year prior to getting injured.

But that aside - it's not a false equivalence. It's the answer to the question. Fans talk about how the Rams made bad decisions by trading these first rounders but then when the players taken with those picks get brought up it's somehow not relevant? Nah man. That trade ended up being Cooks for Wynn straight up. It's a harsh reality that fans don't like to cope with - when future picks from a trade get brought up. Even if you're right, there's even more players who were drafted around there that also haven't panned out yet.

What do Corey Davis, Isaiah Wynn, K'Lavon Chaisson and Travis Etienne have in common? They inspire not one ounce of regret. Forget Cooks - all four of them together don't come close to Ramsey's value alone.

The Lions are the last hope, but what people will realize after these next two drafts is that trading late first round picks for proven talent makes sense.

• Like 2