Steelers vs Kitty Cats - Pre-Season week 3 (read:4)

Dcash4

25 minutes ago, CKSteeler said:

I think the team made a mistake going with the traditional 4 preseason game format. Were back-ups really that bad tonight, or were they simply playing against guys further up the depth chart than them who also likely had some game planning?

And the reverse is true. Last week, what the Steelers did against the Lions has an even bigger asterick than just, well, it's preseason because they were the ones game planning and playing their starters a longer period of time.

It would have been better to match what the rest of the league was doing with their three games. Treat the 3rd game like you would the 4th, you have that advantage, and then use the Carolina game as your dress rehearsal for the regular season. They did a disservice to the young guys/back-ups tonight by setting them up to fail.

Eh, I think the Steelers by and large could not have cared less on the game's outcome tonight. Aside from the "junior varsity" performance, I think the real take away is what did they see in the few actual position battles left on this team. Jamir Jones stood out, and he has a shot to make the team. Loudermilk played decent, but did he do enough? How about Pierre?

Sexton flopped and is likely cut. Haskins did not play great, but I do not think anyone expected greatness. How will he respond to the adversity? That is what they are going to look at, IMO. Is he worth keeping three QBs?

I guess what I am trying to say is that coaches look at things differently than fans. I'm guessing 45-47 positions were already decided before kickoff tonight. So the focus tonight was much more narrow than whether or not the team won a scrimmage game.

• Like 2

41 minutes ago, cjfollett said:

Eh, I think the Steelers by and large could not have cared less on the game's outcome tonight. Aside from the "junior varsity" performance, I think the real take away is what did they see in the few actual position battles left on this team. Jamir Jones stood out, and he has a shot to make the team. Loudermilk played decent, but did he do enough? How about Pierre?

Sexton flopped and is likely cut. Haskins did not play great, but I do not think anyone expected greatness. How will he respond to the adversity? That is what they are going to look at, IMO. Is he worth keeping three QBs?

I guess what I am trying to say is that coaches look at things differently than fans. I'm guessing 45-47 positions were already decided before kickoff tonight. So the focus tonight was much more narrow than whether or not the team won a scrimmage game.

Younger, inexperienced players who need to develop playing against starters is a mismatch. Add in the game planning element, and that matters when evaluating performances. It's also tougher to gauge individuals when the entire unit is breaking down. My post wasn't about the final score. As I said, players were set up to fail in this one.

People sure like to overreact to one presesason game....whether its for good reasons or bad.

I remember years our defense looked laughably bad in the preseason, and fans were going nuts.....only for the defense to be great during the season.

Im not saying there arent concerns to take away, but you have to look at the preseason collectively....not just individual games.   It honestly didnt look like there was any real gameplanning....which I dont really care about much in preseason, but that blame falls on the coaches.     Sure, some of the players looked bad, but this felt like the type of game we typically have every year under Tomlin where the team just doesnt look ready for a given game.   In preseason...oh well.     Its going to happen in the regular season too, though....maybe even playoffs.   We have seen our starters play like crap during the regular season....so Im not extremely worried about our 2nd and 3rd stringers looking terrible....except for the ones that have been terrible the ENTIRE preseason.

The one thing Im ready to say is that Spillane has gone from what I thought was a good backup, to someone I dont even think should make the team....but will because we have no depth there. 

Avery Williamson is still available.    Cut Spillane and resign him.    Williamson is nothing special, but he cant be worse than what we have behind Bush and Schobert.

• Like 2

Coaches haven’t operated in step in preseason in quite some time. McVay and that younger crew won’t even play starters at all. Reid had Mahomes and starters play in game 2 AND 3. Coaches are doing whatever they think is best for preparing their own individual teams. It would be weird to be mad at the Steelers for doing the same. 

It’s not like our 4’s were playing 1’s. Our offense was a mix of 1’s and the 2’s that will have helmets on Sunday. Our 2nd string defense played their 1’s, but again…guys that will have jobs on Sundays. 

From there, our 2-3 played their 2 and our 3-4 played their 3-4. Our team has actually had an extra week of practice and an addition game than the Panthers. If your getting embarrassed by like people…we have problems. 

I thought our guys played within their respective buckets against like competition. We just did terribly. Lotta dreams died last night. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Dcash4 said:

Coaches haven’t operated in step in preseason in quite some time. McVay and that younger crew won’t even play starters at all. Reid had Mahomes and starters play in game 2 AND 3. Coaches are doing whatever they think is best for preparing their own individual teams. It would be weird to be mad at the Steelers for doing the same. 

It’s not like our 4’s were playing 1’s. Our offense was a mix of 1’s and the 2’s that will have helmets on Sunday. Our 2nd string defense played their 1’s, but again…guys that will have jobs on Sundays. 

From there, our 2-3 played their 2 and our 3-4 played their 3-4. Our team has actually had an extra week of practice and an addition game than the Panthers. If your getting embarrassed by like people…we have problems. 

I thought our guys played within their respective buckets against like competition. We just did terribly. Lotta dreams died last night. 

Additionally older coaches like doing this in a last game to give guys a chance at good tape so even if they don’t end up with their team, they might get scooped up to play on a PS of another team or play ST on the roster of another team. 

• Like 1

My final 53 man roster and depth chart

QB (3)- - Big Ben, Mason Rudolph, Dwayne Haskins - - I think Ben is going to play with a chip and leave it all out on the field. Question is: Will it still be enough? If this team can finally play some balanced offense and overall complimentary football, it is possible. Big if's. Mason clearly #2 and Haskins will be #3. Dobbs got the fortuitous turf toe monster so he goes to PS or IR.

HB (4) - - Najee Harris, Anthony McFarland, Jaylen Samuel,  Kalen Ballage - - Benny was hurt and didn't see enough from him. Toss up between Samuel and Ballage. Both have shown some good things. Samuels probably better receiver and Ballage better overall RB and runner. Benny to PS or signs elsewhere.

FB - - (1) Derek Watt - - Could be a surprise cut, but I think the team will use Watt more in some two back sets.  Edmonds back to PS.

TE - - (3) Eric Ebron, Pat Freiermuth, and Kevin Radar. I think Radar's blocking and special teams give him an edge. However, I won't be surprised if a decent veteran #2 or #3 TE is cut and signed and Radar and Gentry both end up on PS.

WR - - (5) Ju Ju Smith Schuster, Dionte Johnson, Chase Claypool, James Washington, Ray Ray McCloud. Anthony Johnson, Matt Sexton and Rico Bussey to PS.

OL - -  (9) Zach Banner, Trai Turner, Kendrick Green, Kevin Dotson, Chuks Okorafor, Dan  Moore, BJ Finney, JC Haussenauer, Joe Haig. I originally had Rashard Coward making it, but I kept an extra RB.

Total Offensive Players - - (25)

ST - - (3) - - Chris Boswell, Pressley Harvin, Kameron Canady - -Pressley Harvin wins the punting job based on potential. Christian Kuntz goes back on stash on the PS. Ray Ray is back to return punts and kicks.

DL - -(6) - - Stephon Tuitt, Tyson Alualu, Cameron Heyward,  Isaiahh Lowdermilk, Carlos Davis, Chris Wormley.  I give Wormley and Davis a slight advantage over Mondeaux and Buggs. If no one else grabs them from waivers, both end up back on the PS. Lowdermilk has too much upside to risk cutting.

OLB - -(5) - - TJ Watt, Alex Highsmith, Melvin Engram, Cassius Marsh, Jamir Jones.  Big gamble, but I think they keep Marsh and Jones over Roche. They hope to get Roche on the PS. 

ILB - - (5) - - Devon Bush, Joe Schobert, Robert Spillane, Buddy Johnson, Marcus Allen. UGIII is  gone. Try to put on the PS. Allen hybrid Safety back-up/ST. Spillane has not looked good though.

CB - - (5) - - Joe Haden, Cam Sutton, James Pierre, Arthur Maulet, Justin Layne. Shakur Brown will perhaps go to the PS. Need another vet  free agent here.

Safety - - (4) - - Minkah Fitzpatrick, Terrell Edmunds,  Miles Killebrew, Tre Norwood. They could really use another veteran FS here. I keep ILB Allen who can play here in a pinch and they have former Jet starter Maulet as well (listed as CB). I am sure they will check the waiver wire.

Total Defense - -(25)

PS

1. Josh Dobbs QB                                                       9.  Christian Kuntz LS

2. Trey Edmunds FB                                               10. Isaiah Buggs NG

3. Benny Snell RB                                                     11. Henry Mondeaux DL

4. Anthony Johnson WR                                       12. Quincy Roche' OLB

5. Rico Bussey WR                                                    13. UG III ILB

6. Matt Sexton WR                                                     14.  Shakur Brown CB

7. Zach Gentry TE                                                       15. Antoine Brooks S/Nickel

8.  Rashaad Coward OL                                            16. Mark Gilbert CB

4 hours ago, warfelg said:

And while our fans are upset about starters not playing, looks like Dobbins might be lost for the year. 

Find someone whose actual argument is that the starters should have played more snaps this preseason. You can't because no one has made that point.

Rewatching the game and man did Dan Moore look average.  Hype train for some definitely got ahead some.  He'll be an average starter in the NFL for a lot of years but he still has a ways to go to be ready for big time.  FWIW Joe Haeg was top 5 in run blocking for the pre-season.

Chucks - Dodson - Green - Turner - Banner

Haeg as the TRETE, Moore the swing tackle, Finney the swing interior, and I think they end up carrying Coward over Hausennauer.

1 minute ago, warfelg said:

Rewatching the game and man did Dan Moore look average.  Hype train for some definitely got ahead some.  He'll be an average starter in the NFL for a lot of years but he still has a ways to go to be ready for big time.  FWIW Joe Haeg was top 5 in run blocking for the pre-season.

Chucks - Dodson - Green - Turner - Banner

Haeg as the TRETE, Moore the swing tackle, Finney the swing interior, and I think they end up carrying Coward over Hausennauer.

Did Moore play anymore LT or did he stay full time on the right? I didn’t catch all the game. 

Just now, Dcash4 said:

Did Moore play anymore LT or did he stay full time on the right? I didn’t catch all the game. 

Pretty much all RT from what I could see.  Wonder if they were seeing him try to challenge Banner.  He was letting guys get into him some and not using heavy arms to block.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, warfelg said:

Pretty much all RT from what I could see.  Wonder if they were seeing him try to challenge Banner.  He was letting guys get into him some and not using heavy arms to block.

Starting to worry about Banner. I’m all for guys getting the time they need to recover from injury…but Banner got injured in week 1 and is someone who isn’t a grizzled vet. He needs reps and they gave him like 12. I do wonder if they were trying to see if Moore could push both tackles too. 

Im hoping it was just cautious about jamming 6’9 banner on a plane ride he didn’t need…but I am a bit worried we haven’t seen more of him. 

Anyway, don’t love Haeg, but I do think he is a serviceable RT if needed. I’d like to see Moore strictly at LT for now and push Chuks. 

Edited by Dcash4