Shang-Chi and the Legend of the Ten Rings (Marvel) (Spoilers)

Kiltman

4 hours ago, TecmoSuperJoe said:

Another theory I heard was that the rings might actually be from the future and have something to do with Kang. 

That seems like a bit of a reach, but I get the impulse to tie everything back to Kang. He has thus far, post Endgame, been presented as the big bad who will persist through this phase at the very least. He has been tied to multiverse and time travel, which makes it easy to plug him in virtually anywhere in the MCU. However, while this mindset made sense in the Infinity Saga where it all ties to the stones and Thanos, that Saga was MUCH more streamlined IMO. We get the 2-3 stand alone movies and then a team up. This Saga is much more all over the place with the intro to the Disney+ series. I think they have the capability to be much more weaving and intricate and push things in less of a straight line. 

Just an opinion though. 

I also don't think Kang ends up being the final boss like Thanos was. 

17 hours ago, Deadpulse said:

That seems like a bit of a reach, but I get the impulse to tie everything back to Kang. He has thus far, post Endgame, been presented as the big bad who will persist through this phase at the very least. He has been tied to multiverse and time travel, which makes it easy to plug him in virtually anywhere in the MCU. However, while this mindset made sense in the Infinity Saga where it all ties to the stones and Thanos, that Saga was MUCH more streamlined IMO. We get the 2-3 stand alone movies and then a team up. This Saga is much more all over the place with the intro to the Disney+ series. I think they have the capability to be much more weaving and intricate and push things in less of a straight line. 

Just an opinion though. 

I also don't think Kang ends up being the final boss like Thanos was. 

A lot of speculation the beacon was alluding to Galactus... But idk... It almost feels too early to do Galactus... You can't really step it up from there when it comes to big bads.

7 hours ago, rob_shadows said:

A lot of speculation the beacon was alluding to Galactus... But idk... It almost feels too early to do Galactus... You can't really step it up from there when it comes to big bads.

Doctor Doom

He had literally ripped apart the multiverse and stitched it back together with him positioned as a God King making Sue Storm his wife and her kids with Reed HIS kids. 

Spoiler

No Caption Provided

No Caption Provided

If the MCU ever comes to an end, the final villain should be God Emperor  Doom- the most powerful a character has become in marvel comics. When  Doctor Doom received the powers

• Like 1

22 hours ago, Deadpulse said:

Doctor Doom

He had literally ripped apart the multiverse and stitched it back together with him positioned as a God King making Sue Storm his wife and her kids with Reed HIS kids. 

I hope they finally give us Doom done right, he deserves his own show/film honestly. So much to him.

• Like 1

All in all, it was pretty good.  I agree with whoever said that the movie was a little heavy on the building out the setting and side characters more so than building up Shang Chi, but he at least had something of a heroes journey and transformation, even before he got the 10 rings.  I thought Simu Lui did a solid job with the material given to him.  The story was a little clunky being so flashback heavy and he went from San Fran to Macau to ancient hidden living forest to Ta Lo rather quickly.  I was nervous that the comedy with Akwafina would be forced and awkward, but that was actually one of the better parts of the movie.  I actually loved them tying the fake Mandarin back into the story and using him as a living Macguffin, I think it was a good use of a divisive part of the MCU's past and tying things in logically that makes this great sprawling epic tie into itself yet again.  I wish we could have had the great protector and the evil soul sucker thingy fleshed out a little more, I thought that was terribly rushed and took away a lot of the impact it could have had.  The design on both was great, but the story telling behind it not as much.

I love love love how they seem to be using Wong as the modern era Coulson of the MCU.  That guy who can tie everyone together and make the proper connections to essentially reform the Avengers when the time comes and have it actually make sense within the story.  I'm very curious as to what he is doing with Abomination, as he seems as if he is mentoring him.

I put this in the good, but not quite great tier of the MCU, somewhere in the nebulous middle ground that are all very good movies.

B+

MCU Rankings

1. Captain America: The Winter Soldier
  2. Avengers: Infinity War
  3. Avengers: End Game
  4. The Avengers
  5. Captain America: Civil War
  6. Doctor Strange
  7. Iron Man
  8. Thor: Ragnarok
  9. Guardians of the Galaxy
  10. WandaVision
  11. Captain America: The First Avenger
  12. Avengers: Age of Ultron
  13. Ant-Man
  14. Spider-Man: Homecoming
  15. Loki
  16. Ant-Man and the Wasp
  17. Shang-Chi and the Legend of the Ten Rings
  18. Guardians of the Galaxy: Vol 2
  19. Spider-Man: Far From Home
  20. Thor
  21. Black Widow
  22. The Falcon and the Winter Soldier
  23. Iron Man 2
  24. Black Panther
  25. Iron Man 3
  26. Captain Marvel
  27. The Incredible Hulk
  28. Thor: The Dark World
  • Like 1

I think my biggest problem with the movie was them building Wen Wu as the villain throughout and then at the end "Oh hey, here is an evil soul sucking monster that will destroy the universe and our great protector just happens to be sleeping at the bottom of the lake that Shang Chi just got punched into by happenstance"

1 hour ago, THE DUKE said:

I think my biggest problem with the movie was them building Wen Wu as the villain throughout and then at the end "Oh hey, here is an evil soul sucking monster that will destroy the universe and our great protector just happens to be sleeping at the bottom of the lake that Shang Chi just got punched into by happenstance"

It allowed the villain to be complex thought, which was nice. I think if they had alluded to him being influenced by some other force earlier it wouldve been better. Or hell talk about it during the million flashbacks.