Joe_is_the_best

Broncos at Chiefs

acfa60365e2d5692a7a140a87efe0919--denver 25gs5r8.jpg

Arrowhead Stadium

7:30 PM CT October 30, 2017

Coverage: ESPN

Some important questions to ponder:

1. Is Siemian's regression permanent?

2. How will the defense respond to the creativity and talent on display in KC?

3. What will we do about the turnstiles at RT?

As far as number 1 is concerned, he will be spooked until we shore up our RT position, so unfortunately we have a problem with no easy solution. 

I'm pretty confident we can limit Kareem Hunt in the backfield, but Tyreek Hill scares me and Travis Kelce will be licking his chops. 

Mike McCoy is capable of making adjustments is he not? We can start by avoiding obvious passing situations, chipping pass rushers, and quick passes.

I doubt we win this game: Chiefs 24, Broncos 17 if I'm being optimistic.

Glad @Joe_is_the_best stepped up!

1. Is Siemian's regression permanent?

I think we can all agree that in order for him to succeed, he requires a ground game, nice pocket to step up in for down field throws and luck (considering he really should have a pick 6 every game). I think we know what kind of QB he is and I don't hate it but I didn't want to believe it. I was rooting for Paxton but quickly acknowledged Siemian was the QB for this team. He still is and that is because we have nothing else really.

2. How will the defense respond to the creativity and talent on display in KC?

Honestly, I hope they come out ready to kill people. Will they, after they see our offense jog off the filed for their first series due to a 3 and out? Not sure. I actually think KC will abuse us, not because of creativity but because Kelce and Hunt will eat us alive.

3. What will we do about the turnstiles at RT?

Hope Watson plays and that he plays well. There is no real option.

Joe, you really are the best btw.

Awesome GD thread @Joe_is_the_best.  Full props.

1.  Siemian regression - if it's real, we're cooked for 2017.  That simple.    This one's a huge game for him.

2.  D response - with news Wolfe is battling injury, this is a HUGE Q - both Morse and Duvernal-Tardif are back for KC, so their OL is intact.    After a promising start, Gostsis hasn't done much, and while Shelby's been OK the last 2 games, nowhere near the dominant display in early-mid September.   On the ILB front, we are in some major serious trouble if  Zaire Anderson has to cover Kelce or K-Hunt on pass situations (and forget about Todd Davis, a HAS is murder on a guy with already very limited range, he should sit this one out).  MAJOR trouble.  SF has shown the originality in converting Eric Reid to LB from S to help address their LB issues - I'd wish we'd consider the same with our S's, but seems like a pipe dream.

3.   RT help - well, if Watson can play, we just have to hold our breath that Barbre/Bolles can hold up on the left side vs. Chris Jones and Dee Ford (no automatic there, although Ford hasn't been nearly as dominant as he was in 2016).   Then we have to roll a ton of help to Watson on pass plays.   Chip with the TE as he outlets, get the RB to chip/stay in, whatever. 

Other keys for us to have a chance:

1.  Win the TO battle - it's obvious, but we can't be in the minus, not at Arrowhead.   That leads us to...

2.  Von, Ray & Shaq have got to wreak havoc on Alex Smith - Smith is mobile, and having a career year, give him credit.   We have to make him uncomfortable to have any shot.

3.  Get the RB's involved - CJ with the run, JC for a few well-timed plays, and Booker in the pass game.   There is no way we can leave it to DT and the TE's alone.   The KC LB's are a major weakness, we exploit that by using Booker on passing downs, and committing to the run game.  It's what makes our OL work the best anyways.

4.  Play Barbre at LG - we can't compromise 3 position (Bolles pass pro suffers greatly with Garcia in there, Garcia just sucks at LG anyways, and Barbre, while being a very decent LG, is a horrible RT in his present state).   Get our 4 best guys at LT - LG - C - RG and design help for RT.   

5.  Limit the false start penalties due to crowd noise - Arrowhead is such an advantage, because our OL is a half-beat slower off the snap.   We can't have 2nd/3rd and long, so we can't be giving free yards here.

I wish could say I thought all the above would happen, and we'd pull the miracle road W at Arrowhead - but I think it's more likely we lose at say 20-13.  I really hope I'm wrong. 

This is the game has the potential to wreck the season or give us hope. Even if we lose but play well and keep the game close, I won't be jumping off the bridge. If, however, we get rocked or even if the offense just plays like it has the last three weeks, we're cooked. It will be the end of Trevor and the season will be a lost cause. It will turn the heat up markedly on Vance and the entire coaching staff as well as on Elway and the front office. There's really no other way to put it, we have to win or at least play very well or we can start start looking to 2018. 

18 minutes ago, champ11 said:

The Chiefs are unfortunately a terrible matchup for the Broncos. This one is going to be tough

I think I would play dirty in this game...like releasing a ferrets in the Chiefs locker room showers kind of thing...biting...hissing...some crying.... 

I actually don't think the Chiefs are a terrible matchup for Denver, but Denver will have a hard time winning the game. The Chiefs D is not nearly as good as advertised. Our run D is pretty solid, but we're going to have a hell of a time with Kelce and I expect us to get gashed on special teams. We have the WORST ST in football by DVOA. That's no bueno.

Archived