Sacksonville: The Next Orange Crush/Legion of Boom?

everlong

57 minutes ago, Counselor said:

Y'all just throwing out statistics on a small sample size. Do it across the whole season first.

Three teams in NFL history have recorded 10 sacks twice in a season. This Jags defense is one of those three. No team has done so since the ‘84 Bears. How is that not an adequate sample to at least start a discussion about what they can do? 33 years a team hasn’t done something once across 16 games, the Jaguars do it in 7, but we can’t talk about how they might be really good because they didn’t wait until the 16th game to do the second one?

Or are we never supposed to discuss things as they’re happening, and can only talk about it after a large sample size has been curated? Sure would make the first 17 weeks of the season boring.

43 minutes ago, iPwn said:

Three teams in NFL history have recorded 10 sacks twice in a season. This Jags defense is one of those three. No team has done so since the ‘84 Bears. How is that not an adequate sample to at least start a discussion about what they can do? 33 years a team hasn’t done something once across 16 games, the Jaguars do it in 7, but we can’t talk about how they might be really good because they didn’t wait until the 16th game to do the second one?

Or are we never supposed to discuss things as they’re happening, and can only talk about it after a large sample size has been curated? Sure would make the first 17 weeks of the season boring.

Sure you can talk about whatever you want sweetheart. But I'd wait till the season is over before we start throwing them in there with those other teams.

No. We're not even at the halfway point and they already have 3 losses, including to the Jets, who carved them up for nearly  500 yards, and the Titans, who had nearly 400 yards and 37 points. They've looked like they will be a memorable defense precisely 2 times, against the Savage-led Texans and the Colts. Other than that they are nothing special. A good defense to be sure, but legendary? Not happening this year. Could in the future though, they're plenty young.

edit- Actually make that 3 times, 4 INTs and shutting down Pitt was certainly an impressive outing. 3 defensive showings like that in the first 7 games is probably what you saw from the other memorable defenses, but I doubt any of them had 2 lapses like the Jags this early. Who knows, they are such a bizarre team!

1 hour ago, Counselor said:

Sure you can talk about whatever you want sweetheart. But I'd wait till the season is over before we start throwing them in there with those other teams.

They've already done what only two other teams have done in NFL history.  There's no reason to not talk about it.

41 minutes ago, RandyMossIsBoss said:

No. We're not even at the halfway point and they already have 3 losses, including to the Jets, who carved them up for nearly  500 yards, and the Titans, who had nearly 400 yards and 37 points. They've looked like they will be a memorable defense precisely 2 times, against the Savage-led Texans and the Colts. Other than that they are nothing special. A good defense to be sure, but legendary? Not happening this year. Could in the future though, they're plenty young.

edit- Actually make that 3 times, 4 INTs and shutting down Pitt was certainly an impressive outing. 3 defensive showings like that in the first 7 games is probably what you saw from the other memorable defenses, but I doubt any of them had 2 lapses like the Jags this early. Who knows, they are such a bizarre team!

the jets game was weird. think there was like 2 really bad plays on the defense that really did them in defensively. u had 2 big runs(a 75 yard and a 69 yard). it was 471 yards not 500. take away that 75 yarder and your already down to 396.  the jags run defense sucks but theres no real good teams that will challenge them in the AFC with a great rush attack and with Dareus on Board the run defense should improve some. 

https://www.sbnation.com/nfl/2017/10/1/16392824/bilal-powell-tackled-himself-then-ran-75-yards-longest-td-run-jets  you be the judge but to me it looked awfully close that he was down by contact. 

as for the titans game the game was like 6-3 at half-time and the offense kept going 3 AND out so this defense got worn down. its not a great excuse but defenders do tend to wear down

1 hour ago, Counselor said:

No one is throwing them in there with them. Its a statistic. 

Who the hell is calling our D the 84 Bears?

36 minutes ago, .Buzz said:

No one is throwing them in there with them. Its a statistic. 

Who the hell is calling our D the 84 Bears?

The 15 Broncos and 13 Seahawks two super bowl winning defenses is what I am talking about. Go dominate the playoffs and win the Bowl and we will talk about including them in the conversation.

4 minutes ago, Counselor said:

The 15 Broncos and 13 Seahawks two super bowl winning defenses is what I am talking about. Go dominate the playoffs and win the Bowl and we will talk about including them in the conversation.

Alright folks - no more discussing football on the football discussion board unless approved by counselor first.

Lock this one up.

2 hours ago, Counselor said:

But I'd wait till the season is over before we start throwing them in there with those other teams.

That’s fine. You go wait until the Super Bowl to post about teams after you know what they’ve done. Maybe that’s what interests you; the comparing of performances over long periods of time. That’s okay.

Some of the rest of us enjoy speculating on things as they happen and analyzing small samples in an attempt to predict how longer samples might turn out. That’s okay too.

You can post in the threads on topics you like, and we’ll post in the topics for threads we like. Deal?

EDIT: I’d also like to clarify that this thread is purely speculation. Obviously to be a defense that carries a team to a title they have to actually carry the team to a title. The thread is in regards to speculating whether this Jaguars defense could do it. Obviously the answer will come in time whether that’s the case or not. Until that point though, some people like to discuss the how’s and why’s that something may or may not happen.

The Jaguars defense is on a torrid pace. They haven’t completed the season, but where the defense is at right now is a good spot. Can they continue? Will they continue? What differentiates their build from that of another team who was built on the same model? Do aspects of their team translate long term and to playoff football? If you prefer to wait for those to answer themselves, that’s cool. But there’s really nothing wrong with people speculating on what may or may not happen.

1 hour ago, LinderFournette said:

the jags run defense sucks but theres no real good teams that will challenge them in the AFC with a great rush attack

Ehhhhhh. The Chiefs could run all over the defense as it stood a few hours ago. Maybe Dareus changes that now, not I wouldn’t say no team would challenge them there. 

Archived