Urban Meyer rumors thread

.Buzz

1 hour ago, Tugboat said:

What a goofy puritanical manufactured reason to get upset with Urban.  Like, of all the reasons...this is the one some people are latching onto?  Because a girl danced "in the vicinity of" his lap?  🤪

There is another video out there that seems to show Urban putting his hand in an area that would be pretty tough explain away.

13 minutes ago, Tugboat said:

It's almost like people expecting Urban Meyer to be a paragon of moral fortitude, were somehow mistaken.  I'm not quite sure how that would happen.

Yeah, agreed. The main thing that pisses me off about this whole thing is him not flying back with the team after a gut wrenching loss. We all know Urban the person is not a great person and we knew that when we hired him. 

3 minutes ago, .Buzz said:

Yeah, agreed. The main thing that pisses me off about this whole thing is him not flying back with the team after a gut wrenching loss. We all know Urban the person is not a great person and we knew that when we hired him. 

There's a small grain of truth to this "outrage" i think.  Maybe.  In that for a college team this sort of behavior from Urban is going to be received differently depending on the context.  With a bunch of just out of HS recruits partying it up and living the "college life"...it's probably High Fives for Urban in that situation wherein a woman gyrated in and around his lap and he may have guided said gyrations with some digital manipulation.

When you're talking about a professional football team in the NFL...where you have a lot of men whose literal livelihoods depend on how well this guy prepares them for the game to come (and to date, it hasn't been very good)...maybe that creates some friction.

But i genuinely believe that the whole "Mythos of the Urban" transcends that.  If his presence as the guy who directs this program is so easily derailed as a girl grinding up on him a bit at a bar he apparently owns?  Well...how was this ever actually going to succeed?

Which is a fair question tbh.

3 minutes ago, Tugboat said:

There's a small grain of truth to this "outrage" i think.  Maybe.  In that for a college team this sort of behavior from Urban is going to be received differently depending on the context.  With a bunch of just out of HS recruits partying it up and living the "college life"...it's probably High Fives for Urban in that situation wherein a woman gyrated in and around his lap and he may have guided said gyrations with some digital manipulation.

When you're talking about a professional football team in the NFL...where you have a lot of men whose literal livelihoods depend on how well this guy prepares them for the game to come (and to date, it hasn't been very good)...maybe that creates some friction.

But i genuinely believe that the whole "Mythos of the Urban" transcends that.  If his presence as the guy who directs this program is so easily derailed as a girl grinding up on him a bit at a bar he apparently owns?  Well...how was this ever actually going to succeed?

Which is a fair question tbh.

The whole idea behind this was you took the issues Urban has/had while expecting a good football product and finally getting things turned around. We’re seeing improvement but ultimately we’re 0-4 and this is another thing Urban has brought in a less than desirable light.

So yeah, that makes it an issue. If we had won a couple games already I think this truthfully doesn’t end up being as big of a story (I mean national media would still eat it up like they do everything Urban, but…).

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, .Buzz said:

The whole idea behind this was you took the issues Urban has/had while expecting a good football product and finally getting things turned around. We’re seeing improvement but ultimately we’re 0-4 and this is another thing Urban has brought in a less than desirable light.

So yeah, that makes it an issue. If we had won a couple games already I think this truthfully doesn’t end up being as big of a story (I mean national media would still eat it up like they do everything Urban, but…).

This is the hilarious part of it all.

If we were winning, it'd be a nothing side story.  But we're not.  And imo...*not* winning...is the thing to hold Urban's feet (or lap, or whatever) to the fire for.  Not like...what he does on his time off, dancing with college girls.

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, .Buzz said:

Ehh. Honestly, it doesn’t bother me as long as the team was fine with him planning on doing it. His kids and grandkids live in the area. Teams are generally *on their own* Friday-Sunday after a Thursday night game. If it was planned and everyone was fine with it, I think it just is what it is on that front. If the game has been in Jacksonville or anywhere else, I think it’s reasonable to assume he would have hopped on a flight to go to Ohio for the couple days, so it’s probably a reasonable assumption that everyone knew he wasn’t skipping the plane with the team to not be with the team, but more that it was because it made more sense to stay in Ohio than to leave Ohio and then fly back immediately after.

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, pwny said:

Ehh. Honestly, it doesn’t bother me as long as the team was fine with him planning on doing it. His kids and grandkids live in the area. Teams are generally *on their own* Friday-Sunday after a Thursday night game. If it was planned and everyone was fine with it, I think it just is what it is on that front. If the game has been in Jacksonville or anywhere else, I think it’s reasonable to assume he would have hopped on a flight to go to Ohio for the couple days, so it’s probably a reasonable assumption that everyone knew he wasn’t skipping the plane with the team to not be with the team, but more that it was because it made more sense to stay in Ohio than to leave Ohio and then fly back immediately after.

I just don’t see how the team could have thought it was ok though. Leader of the team not flying back with the team after any game is not ideal to me, but a young team after that type of loss? Idk idk idk

On top of this:

13 minutes ago, pwny said:

The "Dublin Dad" or whatever staying home is definitely not something i'd be upset about in this scenario.  I'd expect as much.

Some of the other stuff...maybe ehhhh whatever.  But also, it's weird the moral crusaders who came out the woodwork for this one.  Who seemed pretty quiet on the Strength and Condition Coach fail-hire.  The rulebreaking on NFLPA stuff.  The weird Tebow Project.  The losing badly and looking embarrassingly unprepared.

As I said, I was fine with Urbans antics if he got this organization steered in the right direction. It’s early, but when this comes out when analytically we’ve been one of the worst teams and are one of two teams that are 0-4…yeah not gonna fly.

3 minutes ago, .Buzz said:

I just don’t see how the team could have thought it was ok though. Leader of the team not flying back with the team after any game is not ideal to me, but a young team after that type of loss? Idk idk idk

On top of this:

This isn't a new, or Urban-specific thing though.  That's where this is weird.

We've had terrible coaches doing weird things for a decade now.  The only reason anyone even cares about this stupid story...is because they hired someone who matters in the national discourse.  For better or worse, right or wrong...Urban is something different than we've had.

Coughlin is the only real comparable...and he generated plenty of his own stupid headlines, by doing stupid things.

It's the line this franchise has to walk...if they want to tread that line between "joke" and "utterly irrelevant".  Until they start actually winning games...that's it.  That's the choices.

• Like 1