2021 Cowboys News and Notes

Matts4313

20 minutes ago, WizardHawk said:

1. Cap is a myth

To an extent, Joey is right on this, but he oversells it. Teams can do anything they want, but they cannot do everything. There are legitimate opportunity costs (though they are not as severe as they seem, as long as the cap rises continually)

22 minutes ago, WizardHawk said:

2. 3-5 yrs is an eternity in football. 

Yeah, an absolute eternity. 

27 minutes ago, WizardHawk said:

3. BPA is a myth. Multiple factors go into draft.

This is true, but all of those factors should be weighed into the evaluation before you get to the draft, and your organization should be on the same page about it before you get on the clock. Broaddus calls it “window dressing”, and we do it far too often. By the time your pick rolls around, it should be pretty clear to everyone in the room who the “best player available for us” is.

30 minutes ago, WizardHawk said:

4. Players > picks. Known commodity > unknown

Not convinced there are huge numbers of high quality players available for low trade compensation. It’s usually very idiosyncratic. But I agree, teams should be on the lookout for those Robert Quinn-type opportunities. Otherwise, you have players being massively overvalued, like Jamal Adams or Carson Wentz.

34 minutes ago, WizardHawk said:

5. Players development is not linear.
6. No such thing as 3-4 or 4-3 defenses.

True on both counts.

25 minutes ago, Nextyearfordaboyz said:
59 minutes ago, WizardHawk said:

6. No such thing as 3-4 or 4-3 defenses.

True on both counts.

There is such thing as base 3-4 and 4-3; he is wrong on that. But, where his statement makes sense, is most teams dont play true base much anymore. It used to be your base was used 1st and 2nd down most every drive. Now its almost all specialty packages.  

2 minutes ago, Matts4313 said:

There is such thing as base 3-4 and 4-3; he is wrong on that. But, where his statement makes sense, is most teams dont play true base much anymore. It used to be your base was used 1st and 2nd down most every drive. Now its almost all specialty packages.  

Can you point to any team that runs a base 34 or 43? His point was the new base is nickle. 

Just now, Texas_OutLaw7 said:

Can you point to any team that runs a base 34 or 43? His point was the new base is nickle. 

Steelers base is 3-4, ours is 4-3. Even in nickel, we keep 4 down lineman, they keep 3 with a DPR. But nickle is what the majority of teams play most of. 

1 minute ago, Matts4313 said:

Steelers base is 3-4, ours is 4-3. Even in nickel, we keep 4 down lineman, they keep 3 with a DPR. But nickle is what the majority of teams play most of. 

We are predominantly Nickle, not 43. You might be right on the Steelers - I don't watch enough. 

Just now, Texas_OutLaw7 said:

We are predominantly Nickle, not 43. You might be right on the Steelers - I don't watch enough. 

I know, but even our nickle has a safety playing Sam, normally. So the player changes from a LB to a S, but the formation stays the same. 

This is all very nitpicky though, no reason to really debate it as I understand the point and agree with the premise that nickle is the new "base". Even though its still considered a specialty package. 

1 minute ago, Matts4313 said:

I know, but even our nickle has a safety playing Sam, normally. So the player changes from a LB to a S, but the formation stays the same. 

This is all very nitpicky though, no reason to really debate it as I understand the point and agree with the premise that nickle is the new "base". Even though its still considered a specialty package. 

For context:

• Like 1