2021 Cowboys News and Notes

Matts4313

2 hours ago, WizardHawk said:

LOL. Attention to detail is what Dallas is all about. 

Yet the fans will keep coming back only to get kicked in the nuts again.  Me?  I'll tell you a story.  Growing up in Toronto I was predisposed to be a Toronto Maple Leafs fan in hockey.  Like the Cowboys it has been ages since the Leafs won anything.  1967 was the last Cup win.  It's been 17 years since they won a playoff series. Last year was the breaking point.  Up 3 games to 1 against Montreal they choked it away and lost.  I hate the way the team is constructed.  They are too soft.  Four players take up 50% of the salary cap.  I have walked away from the Leafs until management is changed.  Believe it or not I have not watched a game this year and I am not suffering. Where am I going with this?  As long as the Jones are involved in the day to day running of the franchise I won't support the club.  I've been punched/kicked in the nuts too many times.  Things will not change.  It won't matter who the coach is, who they lose or sign as free agents, or who they draft.  The results will be the same.  They will tempt you and tease you.  You will be convinced that this year is the year.  The results will be the same.  Lofty expectations will fail to be realized.  I have a quarter century of absolute futility on my side. The contracts handed out to Dak, Zeke, Cooper, and DLaw are going to strangle this club.  Dallas may get worse, a lot worse before it gets better.  So I will be an observer of what goes on in Dallas.  I won't use vocabulary like we or us to somehow include myself as part of the organization.  Those days are over.  

Look, it wasn't going to be their year. Just too many regular season losses. Get a 2 seed and we would have been playing gas *** Philly, hosting LA or TB next week. They should be able to go 5-1 in the division next year AND the 1st place schedule actually helps them out if Rogers is out next year (Bucs should be a lot worse as well). 

I'd say give this another whirl with a rebuilt O-line. Bring whomever we can bring back, then rebuild it in 23' or 24'. The team is older offensively. Cooper and Dak probably will be passed their primes if not next year then the year after. Superbowl or bust next year, which probably means season ending injuries across the board with our luck.

20 minutes ago, WheatieMan said:

Look, it wasn't going to be their year. Just too many regular season losses. Get a 2 seed and we would have been playing gas *** Philly, hosting LA or TB next week. They should be able to go 5-1 in the division next year AND the 1st place schedule actually helps them out if Rogers is out next year (Bucs should be a lot worse as well). 

I'd say give this another whirl with a rebuilt O-line. Bring whomever we can bring back, then rebuild it in 23' or 24'. The team is older offensively. Cooper and Dak probably will be passed their primes if not next year then the year after. Superbowl or bust next year, which probably means season ending injuries across the board with our luck.

"Rebuilding the O-line" is typically closer to a 2-3 year timeline than the single offseason turnaround you're suggesting, especially with Dallas' cap constraints ensuring said rebuild occurs through the draft. If this team has to/chooses to replace 2, 3, potentially even 4 starters (if Smith retires) up front, it's unlikely that we'll see the fruits of those efforts until '23 at the earliest, more likely '24 or '25.

9 minutes ago, matt79511 said:

"Rebuilding the O-line" is typically closer to a 2-3 year timeline than the single offseason turnaround you're suggesting, especially with Dallas' cap constraints ensuring said rebuild occurs through the draft. If this team has to/chooses to replace 2, 3, potentially even 4 starters (if Smith retires) up front, it's unlikely that we'll see the fruits of those efforts until '23 at the earliest, more likely '24 or '25.

Then there is no way to have championship expectations. May as well start acquiring more draft capital and plan life after Dak. You may as well take the cap hits this year and stockpile for this and the following year's draft. If you can win 10-11 games in 22' and get in, great, otherwise don't wait to start the rebuild. You can roll the dice and hope you can make a last ditch run with a worse roster than this year on paper.

I'm not some cap savant, but if they can't return this nucleus with some new pieces on the O-line and new coaches, it's over. Unless you have a generational QB you just can't win without a steel curtain O/D-line. Look at where Russel Wilson is at now. Even TB with 44 year old QB. The window is never more than 2-3 years for most teams. I think 20-22' is the window and we are moving into mid 90s Cowboys without the Championship pedigree. 

11 minutes ago, WheatieMan said:

Then there is no way to have championship expectations. May as well start acquiring more draft capital and plan life after Dak. You may as well take the cap hits this year and stockpile for this and the following year's draft. If you can win 10-11 games in 22' and get in, great, otherwise don't wait to start the rebuild. You can roll the dice and hope you can make a last ditch run with a worse roster than this year on paper.

I'm not some cap savant, but if they can't return this nucleus with some new pieces on the O-line and new coaches, it's over. Unless you have a generational QB you just can't win without a steel curtain O/D-line. Look at where Russel Wilson is at now. Even TB with 44 year old QB. The window is never more than 2-3 years for most teams. I think 20-22' is the window and we are moving into mid 90s Cowboys without the Championship pedigree. 

I guess it's conceivable we could upgrade RT with the 24th pick, kick Collins to LG and have a meaningfully better unit with modest investment. But that still assumes Tyron, La'el and Martin all have relatively healthy and productive years, while Biasdaz steps up his game and isn't beat out by Farniok or some mid/late-round rookie. More likely than not, this situation gets worse before it gets better.

I agree the NFC is still pretty winnable. I would just expect us to have more glaring depth issues come this time next year. In addition to fixing the OL to whatever extent, we're looking at replacing or paying up for 3 of our Top 4 safeties, 2 of our Top 3 LBs, 2 of our Top 4 DEs, our 3rd and 4th WRs, and our starting TE... with negative cap room. It's rough. And this team never wins **** with a loaded roster anyway.