the Jaguars should fire Urban Meyer immediately

Apparition

1 minute ago, Adrenaline_Flux said:

We're four weeks into the season. There are things that Urban has messed up on, but there are things that shouldn't be criticized either even if they don't necessarily work out. As sad as it is to say, Urban has a vision for what he wants to do schematically with the team which is more than what we can say about multiple previous regimes. A lot of the specific instances you brought up as well have been refuted and you've failed to rebut (I imagine due to a combo of you just skimming and picking out one thing to respond to + not actually knowing enough about the team to comment). 

When you make blanket statements and fail to back them up and criticize everything that someone does, like I said, it drowns out the legitimate criticisms. You may know the Packers and may even know the Bears & Lions and you may hate Urban Meyer for legitimate reasons, but you don't know anything about the Jaguars or what Urban has actually done here so far. Urban may set this franchise back five years. who knows? all I know is that you don't know.

No, it's mainly just that I don't care to argue with people who have convinced themselves that a coach who is quite clearly checked out has some sort of long-term plan.

I have no particularly strong feelings towards Urban Meyer. I just think it's silly to treat criticisms of small things as isolated instances instead of patterns of behavior, which is what you're doing. Nobody cares about the Tebow thing on its own.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, JiffyJag said:

How many did they win last year? How about the year before? I’m sure you were calling for Rhule’s head after he led the Panthers to just 5 wins in his first season, especially after just signing a bunch of his own guys, right? 

1. More than the Jags are probably going to win this year.

2. What does it matter? Matt Rhule wasn't the coach the year before.

Just now, Blue said:

No, it's mainly just that I don't care to argue with people who have convinced themselves that a coach who is quite clearly checked out has some sort of long-term plan.

I have no particularly strong feelings towards Urban Meyer. I just think it's silly to treat criticisms of small things as isolated instances instead of patterns of behavior, which is what you're doing. Nobody cares about the Tebow thing on its own.

is that why there was a 38 page Tim Tebow thread in NFL News that was posted April 29th and locked May 14th? because nobody cared about the Tebow thing on its own?

You say you don't care to argue, but that's not true. You're here arguing, but you're not putting any logic or facts into it. Which, part of that isn't your fault. You don't know enough about this team. You just hate Urban Meyer and that's okay.

I don't know if Urban Meyer will succeed or not. It's likely he won't. Several other Jags fans posting in here I am sure (some I know) who hold similar or more damning opinions on Urban's likelihood of success as Jags HC. However, it's incredibly dumb that this thread exists at all. We're four weeks into the season for a rookie HC (and not even the worst performing rookie HC, he's just the rookie HC with the most polarizing persona). The only reason this thread exists and the only reason Jacksonville is even being discussed is because people hate Urban Meyer with a passion and they thirst over the thought of him failing in a fashion so primal it's reminiscent itself of a night in an Ohio bar. 

Just now, Blue said:

I mean, maybe. Rhule inherited a 5-11 team and the team’s win total with him year 1 improved by 0 games, all while plugging his roster with his guys, which is something you claim to care about

Meyer inherited a far worse 1 win team, and you’ve written him off for not matching Rhule’s accomplishment within 4 games. Oh and also you’ve also now criticized him because he signed one of his former players as RB3 lol

1 minute ago, Blue said:

Matt Rhule's in year two and has completely changed the entire culture in Carolina.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, NYRaider said:

Urban gets a ton of hate but I think the Jaguars have actually shown progress. Not sure what the expectations for him were this year, the team was 1-15 last season and has a rookie QB. They got whooped week 1 but were competitive against Denver, Arizona, and Cincy the last 3 weeks. 

On a short week on the road vs a good Bengals team they had 0 turnovers, only 2 penalties for 10 yards, and were winning the game in the 4th quarter. 

1 minute ago, JiffyJag said:

Did Rhule completely change the culture in 4 games? If not, Carolina should’ve cut ties. 

• Like 2

Just now, Adrenaline_Flux said:

is that why there was a 38 page Tim Tebow thread in NFL News that was posted April 29th and locked May 14th? because nobody cared about the Tebow thing on its own?

You say you don't care to argue, but that's not true. You're here arguing, but you're not putting any logic or facts into it. Which, part of that isn't your fault. You don't know enough about this team. You just hate Urban Meyer and that's okay.

I don't know if Urban Meyer will succeed or not. It's likely he won't. Several other Jags fans posting in here I am sure (some I know) who hold similar or more damning opinions on Urban's likelihood of success as Jags HC. However, it's incredibly dumb that this thread exists at all. We're four weeks into the season for a rookie HC (and not even the worst performing rookie HC, he's just the rookie HC with the most polarizing persona). The only reason this thread exists and the only reason Jacksonville is even being discussed is because people hate Urban Meyer with a passion and they thirst over the thought of him failing in a fashion so primal it's reminiscent itself of a night in an Ohio bar. 

Okay, well, fair lol.

I don't hate Urban Meyer. I think he's slimy, but hate is a very strong word. I hate Nick Saban! That's a coach I don't like. Urban doesn't really move the needle for me.

Urban is as good as gone. The only questions now are whether he finishes out the season and whether he has a say in when/how he leaves.

Just now, JiffyJag said:

I mean, maybe. Rhule inherited a 5-11 team and the team’s win total with him year 1 improved by 0 games, all while plugging his roster with his guys, which is something you claim to care about

Meyer inherited a far worse 1 win team, and you’ve written him off for not matching Rhule’s accomplishment within 4 games. Oh and also you’ve also now criticized him because he signed one of his former players as RB3 lol

Which guys, exactly, has Rhule "plugged his roster" with, by the way?

I'm writing him off because he very clearly came into the job thinking he could run it like he did his college teams and hasn't shown much interest in adjusting.

And man, you're the one obsessed with Carlos Hyde here. All I said is that Meyer tried to get rid of James Robinson for his own guys and Robinson has made that impossible for him to do after Etienne got hurt.

1 minute ago, Blue said:

I'm writing him off because he very clearly came into the job thinking he could run it like he did his college teams and hasn't shown much interest in adjusting.

They were down 10-7 against a good Denver team at half and kept it close the entire game. They were beating Arizona 19-10 in the 3rd quarter before some costly turnovers. And they were beating the Bengals in the 4th quarter when they matched up. Everything he does is going to be under a microscope but he really inherited a pretty terrible situation. 

• Like 3

1 minute ago, Blue said:

And man, you're the one obsessed with Carlos Hyde here. All I said is that Meyer tried to get rid of James Robinson for his own guys and Robinson has made that impossible for him to do after Etienne got hurt.

You said that with no legitimate evidence and then also said that Meyer has “made an effort to bring in his guys over other players” with Hyde being your only example. 
Trust me, I, rightfully, could not care less about Carlos Hyde. I do not like seeing him carry the football, few fans do like seeing their RB3 get carries. You suggested that Hyde was the subject of some sort of grand conspiracy that involves faking injuries. 

Just now, Blue said:

Considering we've traded Joe Schobert, Sidney Jones, Gardner Minshew, and C.J. Henderson since Urban got here, James Robinson has been the listed starter every game, and James Robinson has the bulk of the carries and snaps on offense so far this season... he's doing a pretty bad job of getting rid of James Robinson. Carlos Hyde has never been the starter here and was never a threat to take James Robinson's role as the main RB. Hyde has actually looked good for us. If Urban wanted to shoehorn him in as starter over Robinson, he surely could considering he has that power, but he hasn't. 

6 minutes ago, NYRaider said:

They were down 10-7 against a good Denver team at half and kept it close the entire game. They were beating Arizona 19-10 in the 3rd quarter before some costly turnovers. And they were beating the Bengals in the 4th quarter when they matched up. Everything he does is going to be under a microscope but he really inherited a pretty terrible situation. 

Nobody saying he didn't inherit a terrible team. I just don't think he did a very good job of working with the talent he was left with.

3 minutes ago, Adrenaline_Flux said:

Considering we've traded Joe Schobert, Sidney Jones, Gardner Minshew, and C.J. Henderson since Urban got here, James Robinson has been the listed starter every game, and James Robinson has the bulk of the carries and snaps on offense so far this season... he's doing a pretty bad job of getting rid of James Robinson. Carlos Hyde has never been the starter here and was never a threat to take James Robinson's role as the main RB. Hyde has actually looked good for us. If Urban wanted to shoehorn him in as starter over Robinson, he surely could considering he has that power, but he hasn't. 

I already pointed out that Robinson and Hyde were treated like a timeshare for touches in Week 1 despite Robinson playing more snaps. Combined with spending a first round pick on a running back, that speaks volumes to me about what Meyer thought of Robinson going into this job. I don't think that's an unreasonable conclusion to reach and it certainly isn't anything we haven't seen before in the NFL.

1 minute ago, Blue said:

I already pointed out that Robinson and Hyde were treated like a timeshare for touches in Week 1 despite Robinson playing more snaps. Combined with spending a first round pick on a running back, that speaks volumes to me about what Meyer thought of Robinson going into this job. I don't think that's an unreasonable conclusion to reach and it certainly isn't anything we haven't seen before in the NFL.

but we, actual fans of the team who have watched more than a single Jags game, have explained to you their roles and that the first game touches were situational

for reference:

Jaguars have had 91 rushing attempts.
James Robinson - 49 rushing attempts (53.85%)
Carlos Hyde - 30 rushing attempts (32.97%)

Packers have had 104 rushing attempts.
Aaron Jones - 56 rushing attempts (53.85%)
AJ Dillon - 30 rushing attempts (28.85%)

Robinson played 63% (47 snap) of the offensive snaps Week 1. If you're phasing someone out of the offense, you're not playing them on 63% of the plays. His attempted touch percentage was 25.53% which is pretty good. Even with blocking duties, he was targeted for a touch 1/4 plays he was in. Hyde's % was obviously higher since he had the same # of targets on fewer plays, but that's to be expected considering 1) his role in the offense primarily is to spell Robinson and 2) we were extremely pass-heavy in the game.

You're trying to reach for a narrative that just isn't there and it exposes your bias and ignorance. You can claim that you don't hate Urban Meyer, but the reaches you're making and the amount you're arguing with actual fans of the team who have to watch this dumpster fire every week (and have watched a dumpster fire for almost the entirety of the past 13 years) speaks otherwise. Just my opinion, as you would say.

5 minutes ago, JAF-N72EX said:

If these last few pages point to anything at all.... it's that the Jags DESPERATELY need to have a winning season and SOON before the fans start taking their anger out on each other in real life.

I don't think anything in the discussion the past few pages has crossed a line or demonstrated anything that exhibits extreme anger. especially considering how many times this thread has been locked before now lol. though I wasn't checking up on this thread then, so no idea how out of hand it was getting. Regardless, this is a pretty unnecessary comment and contributes nothing to the discussion of the thread (even though, to be fair, this entire thread is pretty unnecessary so touché).

• Like 1