the Jaguars should fire Urban Meyer immediately

Apparition

7 minutes ago, Blue said:

And James Robinson, just off the top of my head.

When did we get rid of James Robinson?

CJ literally stopped showing up to practice during the offseason because he didn't want to be here. Schobert hasn't exactly been good on the Steelers.

1 hour ago, .Buzz said:

The team full of fully grown men who are millionaires are clearly in shambles over their coaches personal life/marriage, I agree.

If the guy pictured himself as a playboy before the incident no one would care. But if your coach preaches something and then does the complete opposite it will definitely affect the players and their trust. No one is going to trust him in that team anymore. 

21 minutes ago, pwny said:

When did we get rid of James Robinson?

CJ literally stopped showing up to practice during the offseason because he didn't want to be here. Schobert hasn't exactly been good on the Steelers.

If you don’t think drafting a running back in the first round and then making his old Ohio State guy Carlos Hyde the lead back in Week 1 to be an attempt to replace James Robinson, no one can help you.

The fact that Henderson didn’t want to be there is even more of an indictment of Meyer. Again, overpaid a free agent and drafted a corner early, how else is that going to look. As for Schobert, how he plays for Pittsburgh is irrelevant-JAX had no better player on the roster to replace him and still don’t. Those are just three guys I can name off the top of my head.

But you very clearly don’t think Meyer did anything wrong, so what’s the point.

It is going to be interesting to see how the team comes out and plays against Tennessee this week.  I think their performance will give us all a pretty good indication of whether or not Urban still has the locker room.  During the first four weeks of the season, they had shown continued improvement.  If they come out playing hard, that will be a good sign.  If they come out unprepared and get blown out, that would indicate that we might be better off just cutting bait and moving on right now.

2 hours ago, .Buzz said:

I personally don’t think this ends up working, but I also think it’s a bit too early to say this won’t work out when you have a guy like Lawrence in the fold.

I also think Urban the name/just how much hate he gets universally is making this into a much bigger deal than it is. These are grown men working for a paycheck/to stay in the league and I don’t think they’re going to fold up 4 games into a season.

The whole “playing for your coach” doesn’t really jive with my view of how NFL players are wired either. If they go win on Sunday it won’t be because they’re going out there to support the coach, same goes for vice versa.

It isn't even so much to me the stuff off the field. It's on the field. Urban looks so dejected, demoralized, like he is overcome with anxiety & panic. I don't see a confident leader of men, or someone who instills confidence into others. I see a passenger on a ship who is riddled with sea sickness. It's 4 weeks in. The progress his team has made every week should give him exuberance to some degree, hopefulness, excitement about week 4 of a major rebuild. Maybe i am over-analyzing his demeanor. I don't remember him like this at college.

Maybe being so used to winning, that when some losing happens it breaks his spirits. He doesn't seem healthy mentally to me, from the outside looking in.

• Like 2

54 minutes ago, VonKarman said:

If the guy pictured himself as a playboy before the incident no one would care. But if your coach preaches something and then does the complete opposite it will definitely affect the players and their trust. No one is going to trust him in that team anymore. 

What? 

Im like almost fully certain the team finds the whole thing hilarious. Most of these players when they’ve been asked about Urban not being on the plane weren’t even aware until the reporter asked him. You think they think because their coach was out at a bar and ended up getting filmed with another chick they are all up in their feelings? I mean I guess too each their own but that’s definitely not how I view it. 

Again, these are grown men, not college kids. You are giving a HC/coach way too much credit if you think these players care that much about a coach’s personal life. Marriages are different for everyone despite traditional thinking.

36 minutes ago, Bearerofnews said:

It isn't even so much to me the stuff off the field. It's on the field. Urban looks so dejected, demoralized, like he is overcome with anxiety & panic. I don't see a confident leader of men, or someone who instills confidence into others. I see a passenger on a ship who is riddled with sea sickness. It's 4 weeks in. The progress his team has made every week should give him exuberance to some degree, hopefulness, excitement about week 4 of a major rebuild. Maybe i am over-analyzing his demeanor. I don't remember him like this at college.

Maybe being so used to winning, that when some losing happens it breaks his spirits. He doesn't seem healthy mentally to me, from the outside looking in.

Oh I agree, which is why I’m not sure it works out. I’m just saying this situation that we’re talking about I think is a non-issue. 

The only thing that bugs me is not flying back, but every player who’s been asked by the media thus far legitimately had no idea.

1 hour ago, Uncle Buck said:

It is going to be interesting to see how the team comes out and plays against Tennessee this week.  I think their performance will give us all a pretty good indication of whether or not Urban still has the locker room.  During the first four weeks of the season, they had shown continued improvement.  If they come out playing hard, that will be a good sign.  If they come out unprepared and get blown out, that would indicate that we might be better off just cutting bait and moving on right now.

I would say after the London game.  Gives them  almost 2 weeks to do w.e

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Blue said:

If you don’t think drafting a running back in the first round and then making his old Ohio State guy Carlos Hyde the lead back in Week 1 to be an attempt to replace James Robinson, no one can help you.

The Jaguars were 28th in rushing in 2020 and dead last in big plays both from the run game and the offense as a whole. ETN wasn’t brought in to replace Robinson, he was brought in to compliment him and add a different dynamic to the offense.

Did you actually watch the Jaguars week one game? Because Carlos Hyde had two touches in the first half week 1 and they came on back to back plays where Robinson was getting a breather after running a deep route. They didn’t put the ball in Hyde’s hands with any intent until the team was down by 20 points. Hyde got carries because it wasn’t worth risking Robinson getting injured in a game that wasn’t winnable.

The fact that Henderson didn’t want to be there is even more of an indictment of Meyer. Again, overpaid a free agent and drafted a corner early, how else is that going to look.

When the previous staff left, they literally told members of the local media to watch out for CJ because they were worried about his desire to be here. Is that Urban’s fault too?

As for Schobert, how he plays for Pittsburgh is irrelevant-JAX had no better player on the roster to replace him and still don’t. Those are just three guys I can name off the top of my head.

How is it irrelevant? You’re going to knock him for not keeping bad players? And yes, they do have a better player. Damien Wilson is both a better player, a better scheme fit, and cheaper as a downhill thumper LB playing next to the rangier Myles Jack as the two non-rush LBs. The Jaguars need a sure tackler to play in front of Jack, not a guy in Schobert’s who has allowed the most broken tackles in each of 2019 and 2020 and is far better in space. Schobert’s skill set does not match the need the team has for playing next to Jack, and even at his peak as a player does not fit.

But you very clearly don’t think Meyer did anything wrong, so what’s the point.

I clearly don’t think he did anything wrong? You got that from my posts somehow?

No, just because you’re wrong about something doesn’t mean I think Urban is right. In fact, I’ve made it pretty clear that I believe he screwed up, that it was entirely his fault, and that the only thing that decided his fate is how the locker room responds to it. 

• Like 1

The importance of having a stable and well respected coach that players can rely on and want to play for being downplayed into essentially “meh, players make lots of $, i’m sure they don’t really care who their coach is” is a wild turn in this thread but hey 

@MWil23 help me out here because it’s been a few years...did the Browns improve at all once they got rid of Hue Jackson/Freddie Kitchens for Kevin Stefanski? I’m sure it wasn’t like an 0-16 to winning in the playoffs type deal was it? Would be a wild coincidence considering NFL players are millionaires and therefore coaching really has no impact on the team 

10 minutes ago, Ray Reed said:

The importance of having a stable and well respected coach that players can rely on and want to play for being downplayed into essentially “meh, players make lots of $, i’m sure they don’t really care who their coach is” is a wild turn in this thread but hey 

@MWil23 help me out here because it’s been a few years...did the Browns improve at all once they got rid of Hue Jackson/Freddie Kitchens for Kevin Stefanski? I’m sure it wasn’t like an 0-16 to winning in the playoffs type deal was it? Would be a wild coincidence considering NFL players are millionaires and therefore coaching really has no impact on the team 

Urban got caught at a bar with someone who wasn’t his wife, so now we’re comparing him as a coach to Hue Jackson and Freddie Kitchens? Seems like a pretty massive leap you’re taking here yourself.

7 minutes ago, Ray Reed said:

The Jaguars went from the second worst record of all of all time for a head coach with Gus Bradley, who is still beloved and well thought of by everyone who played for him, to a play away from the Super Bowl with a guy that the team legitimately hated running the show.

So to play devil’s advocate — is this a wild coincidence?

3 hours ago, pwny said:

> coach gets in trouble for a video of him being grinded on
> Trevor ends practice yelling "grind"
> laughter comes from the team, including coaches

That's non-specific to you?

we also need to evaluate the whole laughing "with" vs "at" thing, here