What should the Patriots do about their offensive line?

DoleINGout

On 10/30/2021 at 12:34 PM, m haynes said:

Just remembered Patriots drafted Cameron McGrone in the 5th Rd. I see LB 3rd priority. CB is 1st but that changes if they sign Jackson. I still say CB but it's not so desperate they have to reach for one.  Last I hate FLA Gators, especially DBs and this year one is rated top 10 in the draft. IMO after looking at him he a bust waiting to happen.

Sorry about bold don't know how to fix it when using my phone

I wouldn't expect McGrone to do much next year.. he's going to be in full on rookie mode... I think they have pretty good chances of resigning Bentley but they will still need someone to play in the middle. Maybe they resign Collins for cheap and have him in the middle.. or move KVN and give Ronnie Perkins some playing time. 

Even if JC is resigned, I think the best move is to get an elite CB prospect.. if you pair JC with a great #1 you've got an elite defense  for awhile. Then you just need to resign Phillips and draft another Safety to play with Dugger/Phillips when McCourty retires. 

IF Wynn turns it around and they are confident he can give them another solid year at LT I would be totally fine with CB/LB being the first two picks. Otherwise I think LT shoots up the list of needs.. without Scar you need as talented of a LT as possible.

12 hours ago, Crimmage said:

he's going to be in full on rookie mode..

We will see what he can do, he had a whole year to work on his game and learn the play book.  I hope he ready to play on day one.

12 hours ago, Crimmage said:

Even if JC is resigned, I think the best move is to get an elite CB prospect.

I agree 1000% the draft is loaded with 1st RD CB talent.  At this point, this draft is limited with impact players or positions other than CBs. Don't get me wrong there are good players however there are no Mac Jones or Micah Parsons in this draft. Draft reminds me 2013 draft when Chiefs took Eric Fisher at #1 or the Pats took Fryer with the 1st PK.

14 hours ago, Crimmage said:

I wouldn't expect McGrone to do much next year.. he's going to be in full on rookie mode... I think they have pretty good chances of resigning Bentley but they will still need someone to play in the middle. Maybe they resign Collins for cheap and have him in the middle.. or move KVN and give Ronnie Perkins some playing time. 

Even if JC is resigned, I think the best move is to get an elite CB prospect.. if you pair JC with a great #1 you've got an elite defense  for awhile. Then you just need to resign Phillips and draft another Safety to play with Dugger/Phillips when McCourty retires. 

IF Wynn turns it around and they are confident he can give them another solid year at LT I would be totally fine with CB/LB being the first two picks. Otherwise I think LT shoots up the list of needs.. without Scar you need as talented of a LT as possible.

Wynn has been playing much better.

Linebacker is a huge question mark going forward. Maybe even more than CB.

• 2 weeks later...

Trent Brown back at practice. If he's good to go, where do you play him? They have seemed to found their best combo over the last couple weeks with Onwenu at RT. It seems like that's his best fit, and I'd hate to shuffle things back up again.

Maybe you keep letting Brown ease back in, get fully healthy, and use him as insurance? 

1 hour ago, 1ForTheThumb said:

Trent Brown back at practice. If he's good to go, where do you play him? They have seemed to found their best combo over the last couple weeks with Onwenu at RT. It seems like that's his best fit, and I'd hate to shuffle things back up again.

Maybe you keep letting Brown ease back in, get fully healthy, and use him as insurance? 

I think the most likely scenario is going back to the opening day lineup.. but that's assuming they believe he is healthy for the long term. 

It also will be based off if they want to keep Onwenu at RT beyond this season.. if they feel he is a LG long term then they might as well slide him back. Personally I would probably keep the line as is.. and rotate in Brown with Wynn when he is struggling and let the two of them battle over that spot. I would love it if Wynn moved to LG and Brown at LT but I doubt they would do that mid season when Wynn has no experience in the NFL at LG

17 hours ago, 1ForTheThumb said:

Start Wynn perhaps but pull him or kick him inside for Brown if he continues to play poorly.

I think Karras has earned his keep as much as anything. If Wynn keeps phucking up then I imagine Brown will supplant him and they'll put Wynn on the right side or Onwenu back. Onwenu's strength is his versatility and he is very valuable being used as an extra blocker like today against a big Browns defensive line.

On 11/1/2021 at 2:08 PM, m haynes said:

We will see what he can do, he had a whole year to work on his game and learn the play book.  I hope he ready to play on day one.

I agree 1000% the draft is loaded with 1st RD CB talent.  At this point, this draft is limited with impact players or positions other than CBs. Don't get me wrong there are good players however there are no Mac Jones or Micah Parsons in this draft. Draft reminds me 2013 draft when Chiefs took Eric Fisher at #1 or the Pats took Fryer with the 1st PK.

CB is what I'm looking for as well. LB is the other option. I'm looking for us to draft a McCourty/Hightower impact player early next year to be a defensive core for years to come. 

1st round: cornerback

2nd round: linebacker

3rd round: OG/OT

4th round: safety

that's how I see it going right now.

2 hours ago, SBLIII said:

CB is what I'm looking for as well. LB is the other option. I'm looking for us to draft a McCourty/Hightower impact player early next year to be a defensive core for years to come. 

1st round: cornerback

2nd round: linebacker

3rd round: OG/OT

4th round: safety

that's how I see it going right now.

I would flip OG/OT to 2nd.  I haven't looked deep into the draft however with the limited time I spent on the draft the OTs look like they will come off the board around the 15th or lower in the 1st RD which will push the 2nd tier down into the 2nd RD. 

Also we all think OT is a big need however BB might not consider OT a need and look for a developmental player in the middle RDs. 

IMO your needs list is spot on. 🤙

Here's a nice list to work off of for the draft. 

https://forums.footballsfuture.com/topic/38281-brownleader-2022-positional-rankings/

Forgot  We also need a James White/ Kevin Faulk in this draft as well.

Edited by m haynes
  • Like 1