Any lb or db we can trade for right now

Vladimir L

1 hour ago, lavar703 said:

If he’s cheap then I’d rather just sign Smith. He’s certainly better than anyone you’ll get from a practice squad. The bad thing is he’d probably immediately be our best LB. That speaks more to the state of our LBs than it does Jaylons ability

Absolutely 

1 hour ago, lavar703 said:

If he’s cheap then I’d rather just sign Smith. He’s certainly better than anyone you’ll get from a practice squad. The bad thing is he’d probably immediately be our best LB. That speaks more to the state of our LBs than it does Jaylons ability. 

I feel like you’re overestimating this guys ability due to what he did in college.  He’s basically Jon Bostic at this point (slow and cannot cover anyone).  Signing him would be pointless. I completely disagree he’s better than our current linebackers.  @MikeT14 is right we’d be better off raiding PS.

Edited by MKnight82
  • Like 3

28 minutes ago, RSkinGM said:

For what it's worth. I read the 'Boys cut Jaylon Smith because his 2022 contract is quaranteed to pay $9.2 million if he gets hurt this year and misses next year . CYA move .

That's true. Salary cap was and issue but like I said earlier they beleive he is not the player he once was and that's why they drafted Parsons and Jabril Cox. They like these Lb's better than Smith and beside both are cheaper. Here's something else also I remember  back earlier this yr the Cowboys declined Vander Esch 5th or 6th yr contract extension so what does that tell you. 

2 minutes ago, MikeT14 said:

Don't make me get @Matts4313 in here. 

You rang? 

Reading the thread title, you guys are thinking of signing Smith Id guess? 

Im not s Jaylon Smith basher like most Cowboys fans. At least, not in the sense that I hate the guy. Many of us hate the dude because he has played mostly terrible for the past couple years. This year a little better. 

Here is the simple truth about Jaylon - at $15m and being a starting LB; its a horrible value proposition. He just doesnt have the skillset, especially when it comes to diagnosing a play. He is constantly out of position. 

At <$5m as a dedicated pass rush type LB it becomes a different scenario. At that point he becomes a solid piece of a LB rotation and he becomes a valuable. He does have the most positive attitude ever. He is like JJ Watt off the field with his sunshine pumping. 

• Like 3

55 minutes ago, Matts4313 said:

You rang? 

Reading the thread title, you guys are thinking of signing Smith Id guess? 

Im not s Jaylon Smith basher like most Cowboys fans. At least, not in the sense that I hate the guy. Many of us hate the dude because he has played mostly terrible for the past couple years. This year a little better. 

Here is the simple truth about Jaylon - at $15m and being a starting LB; its a horrible value proposition. He just doesnt have the skillset, especially when it comes to diagnosing a play. He is constantly out of position. 

At <$5m as a dedicated pass rush type LB it becomes a different scenario. At that point he becomes a solid piece of a LB rotation and he becomes a valuable. He does have the most positive attitude ever. He is like JJ Watt off the field with his sunshine pumping. 

Thought it was helpful for some insight. Someone made this thread asking about help and then it just so happened Smith was released so it kind of turned into that. Knew you could give a 4-1-1.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, MikeT14 said:

Which is fine but we’re one injury away from starting David Mayo. This idea we can thumb our noses to any even remotely talented LB at this point is pretty silly. We literally have nothing at the position besides Holcomb. Jamin Davis doesn’t even count at this point. 

1 hour ago, MKnight82 said:

I feel like you’re overestimating this guys ability due to what he did in college.  He’s basically Jon Bostic at this point (slow and cannot cover anyone).  Signing him would be pointless. I completely disagree he’s better than our current linebackers.  @MikeT14 is right we’d be better off raiding PS.

You really don’t think Jaylon Smith is better than Jordan Kunaszyk or David Mayo? Because that’s basically what we’re staring down the barrel at. 

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, MKnight82 said:

No I dont

I agree. For where we are and what we should be looking for, I don't think Smith is the answer. Hell, someone said Smith should be playing MLB, and Matts came in and said to use him as a situational pass rusher. 

3 minutes ago, MikeT14 said:

I agree. For where we are and what we should be looking for, I don't think Smith is the answer. Hell, someone said Smith should be playing MLB, and Matts came in and said to use him as a situational pass rusher. 

If I was a d-coordinator in the NFL, I would sign Jaylon for the following roles:

1. DPR (designated pass rusher). He is a really solid blitzer as he doesnt have to think about anything. He doesnt have a ton of sacks but he does get to the backfield adequately. Not a superstar, but again, were talking for cheap $$.

2. Sam LB. Sams arent used very much and are generally the least important spot on a defense. So even if he sucks, he wont mess you up too bad. 

3. Depth. Jaylon can play every single LB spot from an experience stand point. We moved him everywhere to try to make it work.

4. Locker room guy/off the field. Jaylon is a spiritual and positive person. He brings good energy, attitude and leadership with him.

• Like 1

Depending on the cost, signing Jaylon Smith seems like a no-brainer at this point. It’s definitely a “SnyderSkins” type move, so I understand some resistance, but he’s obviously an upgrade at the weakest position on the roster. 

For those who thought Jon Bostic was slow and unathletic, you’re in for a real treat with guys like David Mayo and Jared Norris. At their best, they may reach a Bostic-esque level; they aspire to be Jon Bostic. 

I’m not a believer in Khaleke Hudson, so hopefully he proves me wrong. But even if he does, and even if Jamin Davis proves ready to step into a bigger role, you still have two somewhat undersized and very inexperienced LBs (in addition to Holcomb) as the only thing standing between Mayo/Norris/Kunasyzk and full-time snaps. 

I think the big issue here is that we remain somewhere in no man’s land as far as whether we’re trying to win now or just focusing on the early stages of a full-scale build. For a team trying to win, it’s a slam dunk to sign Smith. That’s a legit starting talent at a position with a gaping hole (or two). For a team that’s still in the developmental stages, maybe it doesn’t make as much sense. I don’t think they know where they are on that spectrum, and I think that’s one of the big reasons they’re struggling to get things to click.

Edited by e16bball
  • Like 3