How are the rookies doing?

RaidersAreOne

Jaylen Waddle has looked pretty good. We've mostly used him in the short passing game (given the state of our OL) but he's been a reliable guy at getting open at that range. Made a couple of rookie mistakes so far, but nothing that I'd be worried about longterm.

Would like to see him used deep more but it's hard unless we can get better protection and with Jacoby's slow release. Tua coming back may help him.

Overall a B so far.

Jalaen Phillips has been pretty strong. Not an every down guy yet but got his first sack last week. Noticeable in several other plays at delivering pressure.

Overall a C+ so far.

Jevon Holland looks like a stud at times, made quite a bit of big plays already. Unfortunately, he needs to tone it down, as he's also been responsible for a few big penalties.

Overall a C so far.

Liam Eichenberg struggled early at Guard but we moved him to LT last week and he looked much more comfortable. Hopeful he can develop there (Austin Jackson looks more like a bust by the day, but also performed better after being pushed inside to LG)

Overall a C- so far.

Hunter Long missed a lot of camp with injury and hasn't been able to earn time on the field at all. Wasn't a big fan of the pick at the time, and I've not heard anything positive about him from beat writers.

Overall an F so far.

8 hours ago, Xenos said:

@Broncofan how are your rookies doing? I’m especially curious about Jamar Johnson since I wanted him for the Chargers at safety. Thought he was a good fit for Staley’s scheme and would fill the role that John Johnson III’s had with the Rams.

Johnson's been OK in limited action.   The issue is that my other guy I loved - Caden Sterns - has been stellar.   Potential star SS/FS ceiling.   I think both are playmakers.  Could easily see us play all 3 (with Justin Simmons being the alpha FS) in some packages next year, and Sterns/Johnson make it a no-brainer to walk away from Kareem Jackson at season's end, as we're seeing age-related decline finally affect his coverage skills (hate to say, because he's been a leader and warrior the first 2 years with us, but when decline comes, it comes hard).   

As for the rest of the class, Surtain's been good, as advertised, but learning (some weeks he's been beat, that's part of the learning curve).   If Fields works out, though, no matter how good Surtain ends up - it was a mistake, unless we land a marquee QB this offseason.    The other star in the making - Javonte Williams.   Clearly the best RB here, and given he's 2 years younger than Najee Harris, may end up being seen in exactly the same light next year.  Dude's an animal, good pass catching skills, and excellent blocker.  Going to be a 3-down beast as soon as next year.   Early Rd2 is the value area to get elite ceiling RB, Paton certainly didn't miss there.

Edited by Broncofan
  • Like 1

Joe Tryon has outplayed JPP this year

guy has juice off the edge, just needs to use an inside move more to setup his outside stuff. Will be an annual 8-10 sack guy 

kyle trask was a waste pick and Hainley wont see the field until OL gets hurt

Edited by indifference