How are the rookies doing?

RaidersAreOne

4 minutes ago, ///mcompact said:

Put Diggs in a blender?  I don’t remember Diggs covering him much if at all.  That was Anthony Brown and Jourdan Lewis.  
Toney is good but he’s already showing that you can get in his head.  Some DBs are going to start using that emotion against him. 

And the Giants play Jalen Ramsey next…

6 minutes ago, ///mcompact said:

Put Diggs in a blender?  I don’t remember Diggs covering him much if at all.  That was Anthony Brown and Jourdan Lewis.  
Toney is good but he’s already showing that you can get in his head.  Some DBs are going to start using that emotion against him. 

He punched Kazee because he was sticking up for Evan Engram. I don't think anyone got in his head. I'm more concerned with him taking a swing at a helmeted player. That's never been a good idea once. I'm glad he missed.

Bears 

1.11 Justin Fields QB 

He’s shown flashes of greatness, good potential but I kinda see so far what I expected of him: a rollercoaster qb. He’s going to need better coaches but at the same time I expect some wow games out of him and some absolute nothing games out of him. He’s a pretty electric player, I love his game energy and he already feels like more of a locker room leader than Dalton and Foles. B

2.39 Teven Jenkins OT

Dude has a lot of potential but slipped in the draft I believe for injury concerns. He won’t be able to show anything this year obviously but should be a drastic improvement over Peters (lol) when he’s finally in. I’m worried that he might be another Kyle Long: a pro bowl talent that is always derailed with the injury bug. ?

5.151 Larry Borom OT

Another case of the injury bug. Not enough info to go on, but with how the bears are traditionally with forcing late round picks to start when they should be career backups at best, I’m sure we’ll see a lot of him. ?

6.217 Khalil Herbert RB 

He got pretty much his first look last week with Montgomery going down and looked brilliant against the Raiders and lead the team in rushing. He outperformed my expectations in that one game and showed heart. Still too early to rate after one game but I’m certainly impressed with the sixth round pick so far. B

6.221 Dazz Newsome WR

Hes not even on the roster, pretty much instantly went to the practice squad after getting waived. Seems like a long shot to even make the roster since we are full to the brim with depth receivers. Not a great pick. F

6.228 Thomas Graham Jr CB

Another practice squad guy 🤷🏻‍♂️F

7.250 Khyiris Tonga DT 

Hes made his presence known a couple times so far for a 7th rounder and played pretty okay stepping in for the deadbeat Eddie Goldman. I don’t expect a whole lot out of him in the future but at least he eats up some space in the middle sometimes. C+

On 10/7/2021 at 10:11 AM, ET80 said:

3a. QB Davis Mills - arguably the worst starting QB going into Sundays' games. He's a long term backup, you're conceding defeat if you're starting him

His statline was vastly improved, but I wonder how much of that had to do with a very shaky NE defense and a few big catch and runs by Texans WRs. 

It was an improvement - he's definitively better than Zach Wilson (for now). 

On 10/9/2021 at 11:19 AM, Oregon Ducks said:

He’s been outstanding. Looks like a future HOF.

Outstanding? No!!

Hes struggled but shown flashes of what he will become. He’s not ready for LT but got thrust into action because of Deckers injury. 

6 sacks allowed, PFF grade 57.6 and that’s getting quite a bit of help.

Edited by diehardlionfan

1 hour ago, minutemancl said:

He punched Kazee because he was sticking up for Evan Engram. I don't think anyone got in his head. I'm more concerned with him taking a swing at a helmeted player. That's never been a good idea once. I'm glad he missed.

Odell/Carr catch 2.0. 

Crown him!

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, diehardlionfan said:

Outstanding? No!!

Hes struggled but shown flashes of what he will become. He’s not ready for LT but got thrust into action because of Deckers injury. 

4 sacks allowed, PFF grade 57.6 and that’s getting quite a bit of help.

he looks raw.

47 minutes ago, ET80 said:

His statline was vastly improved, but I wonder how much of that had to do with a very shaky NE defense and a few big catch and runs by Texans WRs. 

The Patriots defense was not shaky last week against Brady.

1 hour ago, ET80 said:

Looked like Culley limited him to single reads yesterday and the Pats simply failed to take those away for most of the game. I was screaming at the tv because they ran zero blitzes on multiple occasions on 3rd and short. Absolutely baffling that it took them so long to adjust.

I still think Mills has a future in the league, but the Pats coaches did him a lot of favors.

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, Apparition said:

Looked like Culley limited him to single reads yesterday and the Pats simply failed to take those away for most of the game.

That's what MO was vs Carolina, too - first read, quick "fire and forget" offense meant to move the ball in short spurts. It's the best he can do (it's not BAD, but as soon as it's identified and planned against - Culley/Tim Kelly doesn't have a counterpunch and Mills doesn't have the capacity to check to his other options). The Buffalo game was a disaster partially because the team tried to let Mills read and decide on his own - a dangerous defense in a bad weather situation wasn't probably the best time to try it, but thems be the break.

Again, it works for 2-4 games a time. Put it on film and it's easy pickings for a DC.

1 hour ago, The Third Rider said:

The Patriots defense was not shaky last week against Brady.

Playing down to an opponent is a thing, y'know. One week it's the defending SB champs in 2020, the next week it's the 3rd worst team in football in 2020 (without Deshaun Watson or JJ Watt, at that).

Some games you wake up ready to punch everyone in the mouth, some games you don't. It's easy knowing how feeble the Texans currently are - it was a C+ game at best for NE and they won.

• Like 2