College Football Coaching Carousel

Texasmade

2 minutes ago, jrry32 said:

Yea but I have a higher opinion of Fisher than JMJ. And I don't have a particularly high opinion of Fisher, but JMJ is just a terrible coach. I think Fisher can get away with his style in college if he can attract the recruits. That's the question for me. I know Fisher can appeal to NFL guys, but can he appeal to high school kids?

I think you're right on the recruiting part. That, for me at least, is why I wouldn't peg him for UCLA. It wasn't long ago they were legitimately competing with USC in the LA power struggle. It doesn't need to be long for them to find their footing. In Mora's case, losing Jeff Ulbrich hurt, as he seemed to really be the pulse of UCLA on defense and in recruiting. I'm not sure Fisher would mesh with recruiting nor do I think he'd be willing to let someone else take that responsibility. I could be wrong, but I thought one of his issues was being an abrasive micro-manager? 

That said, I also think Fisher's reputation as a coach leaves little to chew on. Now, I get that the NFL and college are two different animals entirely and that his success/failure in the NFL isn't the be-all-end-all, but I feel like his Rams exit was spectacularly bad. Not sure how top prospects in/around the LA talent pool would feel about him, for better or worse.

5 minutes ago, ronjon1990 said:

I think you're right on the recruiting part. That, for me at least, is why I wouldn't peg him for UCLA. It wasn't long ago they were legitimately competing with USC in the LA power struggle. It doesn't need to be long for them to find their footing. In Mora's case, losing Jeff Ulbrich hurt, as he seemed to really be the pulse of UCLA on defense and in recruiting. I'm not sure Fisher would mesh with recruiting nor do I think he'd be willing to let someone else take that responsibility. I could be wrong, but I thought one of his issues was being an abrasive micro-manager? 

That said, I also think Fisher's reputation as a coach leaves little to chew on. Now, I get that the NFL and college are two different animals entirely and that his success/failure in the NFL isn't the be-all-end-all, but I feel like his Rams exit was spectacularly bad. Not sure how top prospects in/around the LA talent pool would feel about him, for better or worse.

Fisher is a micro-manager in a different sort of way. I have no doubt that he'd let his assistants recruit.

Eh, Fisher's reputation as a coach still isn't bad. The guy has something to sell that few college coaches can. He's been in the NFL, he's presided over drafts, and he's developed NFL players. He can sell the NFL in a way that many others cannot. He's been there. Personally, I think him or JDR would be intriguing college candidates because of how much players love them. Their coaching styles aren't ideal for the NFL because they can be too lax and aren't brilliant Xs and Os guys, but that CEO type role tends to work well in college. And players' coaches tend to do well in college.

Let me put it this way, Mark Dantonio is a great example of why I think Fisher's style could work in college in ways it doesn't work in the NFL. In the NFL, you can have your cake and eat it too because of the caliber of players you have available. You're getting the best of the best from college. Right now, the majority of college teams are designed to stop speed-oriented spread offenses. If you come in there with a ground-and-pound offense running behind a big, physical OL while also having a physical, fast defense and an effective special teams, I think you could do well. The challenge for Fisher will be hiring assistants who can get him the players he needs. The other challenge will be learning how to dumb down his schemes for college kids and finding a great OL Coach (because his style won't succeed without one).

12 minutes ago, jrry32 said:

Fisher is a micro-manager in a different sort of way. I have no doubt that he'd let his assistants recruit.

Eh, Fisher's reputation as a coach still isn't bad. The guy has something to sell that few college coaches can. He's been in the NFL, he's presided over drafts, and he's developed NFL players. He can sell the NFL in a way that many others cannot. He's been there. Personally, I think him or JDR would be intriguing college candidates because of how much players love them. Their coaching styles aren't ideal for the NFL because they can be too lax and aren't brilliant Xs and Os guys, but that CEO type role tends to work well in college. And players' coaches tend to do well in college.

JDR is one I've thought about for a while. And I'm starting to worry we're gonna move on from him sooner rather than later. Though, I seem to be in the minority in terms of hoping he gets to stay a while. 

2 hours ago, GreenShore said:

Pull top coaches? Like Zook, Muschamp and McIltoof?

Outside of Meyer who have they pulled?

feel like Meye went to Florida because he knew it was ripe for the picking. FSU was down, Miami was struggling, and Bama was on the come up. He knew he could own the state in recruiting and control the SEC. who ever takes over at Florida they won’t be able to do either. 

7 hours ago, GreenShore said:

Pull top coaches? Like Zook, Muschamp and McIltoof?

Lol. You are conflating not panning out with not being a top candidate. Muschamp was the head coach-in-waiting at Texas. McElwain was a Nick Saban protege who built up Colorado State and was coming off a 10-win year. Urban Meyer went undefeated with Utah. Zook, well, he sucked. I'm still baffled by that hire. This is like claiming the Rams didn't have the #2 pick because Greg Robinson busted. 

Apply your logic to Miami, and you'll see how dumb it is.

Put forth a better effort, please and thanks.

35 minutes ago, jrry32 said:

Lol. You are conflating not panning out with not being a top candidate. Muschamp was the head coach-in-waiting at Texas. McElwain was a Nick Saban protege who built up Colorado State and was coming off a 10-win year. Urban Meyer went undefeated with Utah. Zook, well, he sucked. I'm still baffled by that hire. This is like claiming the Rams didn't have the #2 pick because Greg Robinson busted. 

Apply your logic to Miami, and you'll see how dumb it is.

Put forth a better effort, please and thanks.

Zook was a pure panic hire by Foley because he was turned down by Stoops and Shanahan. 

Archived