The Ugly, The Ugly & The Ugly Vs BUF

raidr4life

1 hour ago, SBXISBXVSBXVIII said:

GTFO

Why? This isn't a playoff team mostly because of the coaching. It isn't like the Raiders have lost a guy on the team like JJ Watt or Aaron Rodgers. They have pretty much all of their playmakers. There's talent on the team and it's obvious that the coaching is to blame for this dumpster fire. So why should I hope for this team to go 9-7 or 7-9 and miss out on a great prospect? Or a coaching change? Look at the colts, a complete mess now because of incompetent coaching. I for one would be pretty pissed if this team won a bunch of pointless games and saved jobs. I've written this season off, I'm sorry but after years of terrible play I'm tired of incompetence from a coaching staff. Stick a fork in the Raiders. 

2 minutes ago, Chali21 said:

Why? This isn't a playoff team mostly because of the coaching. It isn't like the Raiders have lost a guy on the team like JJ Watt or Aaron Rodgers. They have pretty much all of their playmakers. There's talent on the team and it's obvious that the coaching is to blame for this dumpster fire. So why should I hope for this team to go 9-7 or 7-9 and miss out on a great prospect? Or a coaching change? Look at the colts, a complete mess now because of incompetent coaching. I for one would be pretty pissed if this team won a bunch of pointless games and saved jobs. I've written this season off, I'm sorry but after years of terrible play I'm tired of incompetence from a coaching staff. Stick a fork in the Raiders. 

I understand your frustration, but true fans don't want their team to lose.

I understand the desire to write the season off and hope for a higher draft pick.  In my darker moments, I feel the same way.  But there are many reasons, other than simple pride, to think twice about that:

(1) there's never a guarantee that you'll hit with the pick, and the perceived difference in value by draft position is highly variable from year to year;

(2) given the state of the Browns, Niners, Colts and Giants we're not talking about the top pick even if we went full tank starting now;

(3) the threat of institutional rot is very real when you go down that path (and we know a lot about institutional rot...);

(4) we really need Conley, Obi and the other rookies we intend to rely on next season to play in meaningful games and snaps during the back end of the season, otherwise they're basically rookies in year two; and

(5) after the KC game I hoped we could go 2-1 in the next three games and sit at 5-5 after ten games -- mathematically that's still possible. (Yes, yes -- I'm in panic mode, but I won't throw in the towel until we have six losses after we leave the field in Mexico City.  I don't discount the possibility that we could have six losses before we even take the field in Mexico, and beating the Pats seems very, very unlikely, but I'm not quite at total write off...yet).

(Some additional long-term irrational hope: Zeke suspension upheld, Eagles run away with not only the NFC East, but the #1 seed and are resting starters, 12/31 a de facto home game. OK, I will stop now and return to my default position of seeing the glass as half-empty.)

3 hours ago, RaiderBall said:

Crazy that in light of last year THIS is where were at... but it's true... unless the other teams in our division struggle and we somehow make the playoffs (but we can't even move the ball so that's not gonna happen) ... this is what should happen at the end of the season. The teams evidence of being outcoached and thereby underachieving is worthy of such a reaction. 

If the down Spiral continues who do u guys think gets pulled first... KNJ or Downing?.. and if it comes to JDR at the end of the season you think it'll be RM or M.D. that makes the call?

Who do *I* think gets axed?  No one, unless the defense reverts back to WOAT status.  And thats only because we have Pagano.  Who leads the offense without Downing?  Tice?  Who runs the team with JDR?  Um maybe Tice?  I think we keep the staff until the end.  Then who knows.  But I want to clean house.  Downing isn't ready and we don't have time to wait.  The defense fluctuates between god awful and mediocre.  Its time.

At this point it does feel moot to switch up the staff, unless you really feel that we could go on a run just by subtracting Todd. But who? There's nobody on this staff that I'm clamoring to hand the reins to offensively. If you had told me before the season started that we'd be at 3-5 halfway with the OFFENSE being the culprit, there's no way I'd consider keeping this staff for next year. 

Since others might bring it up, I don't regret letting Musgrave go even with these results. He was a good X&O's guy to scheme matchups but he'd pull the same conservative playcalling for three quarters before Carr and Mack had to pull out heroics in the fourth. Was he better than Downing? Yes. Was he the ultimate solution to make this offense hum? Nope. I don't find it surprising now that Downing and Del Rio said all the right things about unleashing this offense and letting Derek take over when the switch was made, and neglected to mention switching blocking schemes or wanting to get cute.

23 minutes ago, Dodo said:

At this point it does feel moot to switch up the staff, unless you really feel that we could go on a run just by subtracting Todd. But who? There's nobody on this staff that I'm clamoring to hand the reins to offensively. If you had told me before the season started that we'd be at 3-5 halfway with the OFFENSE being the culprit, there's no way I'd consider keeping this staff for next year. 

Since others might bring it up, I don't regret letting Musgrave go even with these results. He was a good X&O's guy to scheme matchups but he'd pull the same conservative playcalling for three quarters before Carr and Mack had to pull out heroics in the fourth. Was he better than Downing? Yes. Was he the ultimate solution to make this offense hum? Nope. I don't find it surprising now that Downing and Del Rio said all the right things about unleashing this offense and letting Derek take over when the switch was made, and neglected to mention switching blocking schemes or wanting to get cute.

dhMeAzK.gif

Well put.

I don't think anyone wants Musgrave back. However this team needs a staff that can put the players in the place to succeed. It seems like the plan is to copy the patriots unfortunately Downing is no McDaniels so instead we have this. The offense doesn't attack at all which is weird because this team should routinely be putting up video game numbers. Personally I think that the defense is good enough to beat weaker teams but this offense is totally atrocious. 

14 hours ago, Chali21 said:

i hate being right. I knew the Raiders came on for the chiefs game and that they would revert back to playing weak once that game was over. Truth is the Raiders are a 9-7 team. Sure they can eek a win out against great teams but they can't consistently play great. I honestly hope they lose the rest of their games and get a top pick. The season is lost even if the Raiders fire Downing I doubt that there's anyone better on the staff. 

Truth? That's highly optimistic. This is a 6-7 win team. 2nd hardest remaining schedule in the NFL and this coaching staff isn't going to rally this group, they've proven that.

9 hours ago, Silver&Black88 said:

Who do *I* think gets axed?  No one, unless the defense reverts back to WOAT status.  And thats only because we have Pagano.  Who leads the offense without Downing?  Tice?  Who runs the team with JDR?  Um maybe Tice?  I think we keep the staff until the end.  Then who knows.  But I want to clean house.  Downing isn't ready and we don't have time to wait.  The defense fluctuates between god awful and mediocre.  Its time.

Really points to the mismanagement of the staff when there isn't a backup plan for a failing OC. He was young, inexperienced and they didn't have anyone to help him really. Poorly done.

It's time for an overhaul. JDR is Jeff Fisher. A frustrating guy who will get you to .500 with good talent. Overachieve a couple seasons. But overall leave you wanting way WAY more. 

For me... they need to go with an offensive HC to pair with Carr. 

Archived