What TV Show Are You Watching?

Adrenaline_Flux

2 hours ago, Oregon Ducks said:

Honestly, Mexico is not unsafe unless you're involved in the "business". There are extortions here and there but even those have been cut down and nothing you won't see in other developing nations.

You beat that drum every time the subject comes up, OD.

Neither of those statements you made are true. Mexico is unsafe for anyone. It is MORE unsafe if you are involved in the business. But you are still unsafe even if you aren't. Particularly in SI, MI and points in between. Puerto Vallarta is far enough out of the way to avoid much of the danger as long as the cartels decide to leave PR alone. But you can't step outside that insular community without accepting very real risk. Particularly if you are an american.

There are plenty of safer developing nations., depending on what you consider "developing." Chile, Costa Rica, Uraguay, Paraguay, Panama and Belize are all safer. Some are FAR safer. And those are just developing countries in our neck of the woods. 

3 hours ago, Non-Issue said:

You beat that drum every time the subject comes up, OD.

Neither of those statements you made are true. Mexico is unsafe for anyone. It is MORE unsafe if you are involved in the business. But you are still unsafe even if you aren't. Particularly in SI, MI and points in between. Puerto Vallarta is far enough out of the way to avoid much of the danger as long as the cartels decide to leave PR alone. But you can't step outside that insular community without accepting very real risk. Particularly if you are an american.

There are plenty of safer developing nations., depending on what you consider "developing." Chile, Costa Rica, Uraguay, Paraguay, Panama and Belize are all safer. Some are FAR safer. And those are just developing countries in our neck of the woods. 

Ive spent alot of time in alot of those countries. 1 time in Panama for example I was yanked off a bus, laid face down in the dirt. While some hijackers with AKs robbed us.

Costa Rica and Belize are great countries. But the rest are pretty much all the same. If you live in safe zones (Resort areas or close by) then youre good. If you venture out those zones. Its just as dangerous as anyplace else. And I say that as a person that lived outside Caracas Venezuela under Hugo Chavez, and in San Paulo Brazil while mobs beheaded soccer refs on the field for bad calls.

Edited by PARROTHEAD

4 hours ago, PARROTHEAD said:

Ive spent alot of time in alot of those countries. 1 time in Panama for example I was yanked off a bus, laid face down in the dirt. While some hijackers with AKs robbed us.

Costa Rica and Belize are great countries. But the rest are pretty much all the same. If you live in safe zones (Resort areas or close by) then youre good. If you venture out those zones. Its just as dangerous as anyplace else. And I say that as a person that lived outside Caracas Venezuela under Hugo Chavez, and in San Paulo Brazil while mobs beheaded soccer refs on the field for bad calls.

No... they arent all the same. And I have no idea why people keep trying to claim that. If you venture outside "safe zones" in Panama, Paraguay, Uraguay or Chile you are not in as much danger as you are in Sinaloa, Michoacan and the rest of the pacific coast states in Mexico. 

Whatever happened to you in Panama was a rarity. I lived in Panama and travelled all over the interior. Travelled back and forth on the TI day and night. Never heard of that going on. Never seen it. Not saying things like that dont happen in Panama, mind you. Hell, they happen here. Just saying it is nothing like the west coast of Mexico.

Venezuela and Sao Paulo are poopholes. So you are probably going to get the poophole experience when you travel through them. 

Edited by Non-Issue

2 hours ago, Non-Issue said:

No... they arent all the same. And I have no idea why people keep trying to claim that. If you venture outside "safe zones" in Panama, Paraguay, Uraguay or Chile you are not in as much danger as you are in Sinaloa, Michoacan and the rest of the pacific coast states in Mexico. 

Whatever happened to you in Panama was a rarity. I lived in Panama and travelled all over the interior. Travelled back and forth on the TI day and night. Never heard of that going on. Never seen it. Not saying things like that dont happen in Panama, mind you. Hell, they happen here. Just saying it is nothing like the west coast of Mexico.

Venezuela and Sao Paulo are poopholes. So you are probably going to get the poophole experience when you travel through them. 

lol yes, because you know better. I know people who have lived in the states you mentioned and have never had any troubles.

9 hours ago, Non-Issue said:

Entire branch of my family in Panama. Spent 4 months a year for 15 years there.  You tryin to tell me about Panama is like telling Tom Brady how to throw.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, PARROTHEAD said:

Entire branch of my family in Panama. Spent 4 months a year for 15 years there.  You tryin to tell me about Panama is like telling Tom Brady how to throw.

So then you know damn well Panama aint anywhere near as dangerous as the west coast of Mexico. And all those countries I mentioned are safer.

We are talking about relative safety here. And if youre arguing that Panama isn't any safer than the west coast of Mexico, then I dont care how much time you have spent in Panama, you dont know what youre talking about. I'm not arguing Panama is a crime free utopia. But it is far from what is going on in that part of Mexico. 

Edited by Non-Issue

9 hours ago, Oregon Ducks said:

lol yes, because you know better. I know people who have lived in the states you mentioned and have never had any troubles.

Which means what? I am not arguing that anyone is guaranteed to be a victim of violence if they live in those states or near those states. I am saying those states are dangerous. And that the region in question is more dangerous than you are suggesting when you say it isn't any different than other areas in developing countries. That simply isn't true. And the fact that you know people who lived there that haven't had trouble doesn't dispute that.

Venezuela is an incredibly dangerous country. I guarantee you that you can find plenty of people that have lived their entire lives in that country and have never had a problem. That doesn't mean it isn't still an incredibly dangerous country.

51 minutes ago, Non-Issue said:

Which means what? I am not arguing that anyone is guaranteed to be a victim of violence if they live in those states or near those states. I am saying those states are dangerous. And that the region in question is more dangerous than you are suggesting when you say it isn't any different than other areas in developing countries. That simply isn't true. And the fact that you know people who lived there that haven't had trouble doesn't dispute that.

Venezuela is an incredibly dangerous country. I guarantee you that you can find plenty of people that have lived their entire lives in that country and have never had a problem. That doesn't mean it isn't still an incredibly dangerous country.

You could say that about literally every city in the world. But alas, this is not the thread for it.

On 2/19/2018 at 2:40 PM, skywindO2 said:

Finished Altered Carbon. I don't think I could recommend it. It took such a nosedive at a certain point in the second half of the season that it was a chore to finish. 

I started losing interest around episode 4. I am going to try and push through,