What TV Show Are You Watching?

Adrenaline_Flux

I let my kids watch the pilot of walking dead. It was actually pretty decent outside of the coma logic. I was in a coma for the same amount of time. You get severe muscle atrophy and have to learn how to walk. You have to gradually learn to eat and drink again too, but that is mostly so you don’t throw it up. 

Then the second episode has a walker using a brick to break a glass window. Do walkers use tools ever again over the course of this show? (I don’t intend on going past S1 for the record)

5 hours ago, minutemancl said:

I started rewatching 30 Rock as well. I think it is easily the funniest sitcom ever. Not only does every joke land, but they come in rapid fire.

I’m going to do a rewatch of this soon myself. Tbh I didn’t care for Tracy Morgan before 30 Rock and then I couldn’t help but love the goofy bastard afterward lol. 

Season 5 of better call Saul. I was kinda meh on the show when Chuck McGill was alive, it was alright but not blowing my socks off. As he finally transitions to being Saul Goodman, it gets so good. I can see why some prefer it to BB. He’s just an incredibly well written con artist lawyer. Kim is likable too and I’m not sure what they’re planning to do with her character but she’s making it more and more obvious why she’s not in BB with him. She just suggested they get married instead of breaking up after he almost tanked her entire mesa verde career. It makes no sense for her otherwise straight line persona to suggest that, but she also has liked flirting with disaster the whole show just by being w Saul. 

• Like 1

true-detective-hbo.jpg

True Detective s2

Back when this originally aired in 2015, a lot of ppl were disappointed in the followup to s1 which I’d argue is the greatest season in TV history (alongside s4 of The Wire and more recently the final season of The Marvelous Mrs. Maisel).  A true masterpiece.  Season 2 had a tough act to follow. 

It seemed most viewers, fans and critics alike expected season 2 to be just like season 1 which was unfair for many reasons but nonetheless, this was the perception and reception.  To give an analogy, I remember when Nas released the followup to his debut album Illmatic.  Illmatic is widely regarded as the greatest album in hip hop history.  While it took years to go platinum, it was beloved by hip hop heads immediately.  And yet his followup album It Was Written was regarded as a disappointment to many fans at the time despite it going double platinum. Why?  They wanted Illmatic pt. 2 and that’s not what they got.  It took years for many to recognize It Was Written’s greatness.  And let’s be clear- it is is also a masterpiece.  There isn’t a single skippable song on it. But at the time, many jumped on it with a myriad of complaints. 

There are movies and shows we all love that have gotten even better with multiple viewings.  Movies and shows that can’t possibly be fully digested and appreciated without repeated viewings. With each viewing, you pick up so many details. Multiple dots that you didn’t connect (esp not during the first viewing) which increases your enjoyment. Why?  Bcuz during the first viewing, you don’t know what’s going to happen.  You’re watching the story unfold before your eyes. You miss a lot of the details. 

8 years have passed since True Detective s2 aired.  I liked it the first time and defended it to anyone that dissed it.  I didn’t claim it was as good as s1, it was just different.  This week I rewatched it again in 3 sittings.  3 episodes on Monday, 3 on Tuesday and the final 2 tonight.  Not only is it better than I remembered, I’d go as far as saying it’s almost as good as s1.  Season 1 is a 10 no doubt.  Season 2 is an 8.5 at the least.  I’d argue it’s higher.  I remembered bits and pieces of what happens but with this 2nd viewing, I could connect dots and recognize its greatness. Holy **** I can’t believe how anyone panned this.  It’s outstanding. 

Colin Farrell gives one of the best performances of his career. Rachel McAdams is amazing in this.  Even Taylor Kitsch is top notch with his performance.  Vince Vaughn showed a completely different side of his range in this.  Tbh it pisses me off that this season was hated on the way it was. It unequivocally deserves an additional viewing to anyone who enjoyed s1.  I highly recommend it!

I really enjoyed s3 and look forward to starting it up again soon. Mahersha Ali was absolutely incredible in it.  If it’s as good as I remember, my goodness… this franchise deserves the highest accolades for every season. And I can’t wait to see what they do in s4 in when it returns on Jan 14th.  

Edited by thrILL!
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, thrILL! said:

true-detective-hbo.jpg

True Detective s2

Back when this originally aired in 2015, a lot of ppl were disappointed in the followup to s1 which I’d argue is the greatest season in TV history (alongside s4 of The Wire and more recently the final season of The Marvelous Mrs. Maisel).  A true masterpiece.  Season 2 had a tough act to follow. 

It seemed most viewers, fans and critics alike expected season 2 to be just like season 1 which was unfair for many reasons but nonetheless, this was the perception and reception.  To give an analogy, I remember when Nas released the followup to his debut album Illmatic.  Illmatic is widely regarded as the greatest album in hip hop history.  While it took years to go platinum, it was beloved by hip hop heads immediately.  And yet his followup album It Was Written was regarded as a disappointment to many fans at the time despite it going double platinum. Why?  They wanted Illmatic pt. 2 and that’s not what they got.  It took years for many to recognize It Was Written’s greatness.  And let’s be clear- it is is also a masterpiece.  There’s isn’t a skippable song on it. But at the time, many jumped on it. 

There are movies and shows we all love that have gotten even better with multiple viewings.  Movies and shows that can’t possibly be fully ingested and appreciated without repeated viewings. With each viewing, you pick up so many details. You see so many dots that you didn’t connect esp not the first time which increases your enjoyment?  Why?  Bcuz that first time you don’t know what’s going to happen.  You’re watching the story unfold before your eyes. You miss a lot of the details. 

8 years have passed since True Detective s2 aired.  I liked it the first time and defended it to anyone that dissed it.  I didn’t claim it was as good as s1, it was just different.  This week I rewatched it again in 3 sittings.  3 episodes on Monday, 3 on Tuesday and the final 2 tonight.  Not only is it better than I remembered, I’d go as far as saying it’s almost as good as s1.  Season 1 is a 10 no doubt.  Season 2 is an 8.5 at the least.  I’d argue it’s higher.  I remembered bits and pieces of what happens but with this 2nd viewing, I could connect dots and recognize its greatness. Holy **** I can’t believe how anyone panned this.  It’s outstanding. 

Colin Farrell gives one of the best performances of his career. Rachel McAdams is amazing in this.  Even Taylor Kitsch is top notch with his performance.  Vince Vaughn showed a completely different side of his range in this.  Tbh it pisses me off that this season was hated on the way it was. It unequivocally deserves an additional viewing to anyone who enjoyed s1.  I highly recommend it!

I really enjoyed s3 and look forward to starting it up again soon. Mahersha Ali was absolutely incredible in it.  If it’s as good as I remember, my goodness… this franchise deserves the highest accolades for every season. And I can’t wait to see what they do in s4 in November when it returns.  

I think I own watched the first two episodes of season 2. Should give this another try 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, thrILL! said:

true-detective-hbo.jpg

True Detective s2

It seemed most viewers, fans and critics alike expected season 2 to be just like season 1 which was unfair for many reasons but nonetheless, this was the perception and reception.  To give an analogy, I remember when Nas released the followup to his debut album Illmatic.  Illmatic is widely regarded as the greatest album in hip hop history.  While it took years to go platinum, it was beloved by hip hop heads immediately.  And yet his followup album It Was Written was regarded as a disappointment to many fans at the time despite it going double platinum. Why?  They wanted Illmatic pt. 2 and that’s not what they got.  It took years for many to recognize It Was Written’s greatness.  And let’s be clear- it is is also a masterpiece.  There’s isn’t a skippable song on it. But at the time, many jumped on it. 

There are movies and shows we all love that have gotten even better with multiple viewings.  Movies and shows that can’t possibly be fully ingested and appreciated without repeated viewings. With each viewing, you pick up so many details. You see so many dots that you didn’t connect esp not the first time which increases your enjoyment?  Why?  Bcuz that first time you don’t know what’s going to happen.  You’re watching the story unfold before your eyes. You miss a lot of the details. 

I really enjoyed s3 and look forward to starting it up again soon. Mahersha Ali was absolutely incredible in it.  If it’s as good as I remember, my goodness… this franchise deserves the highest accolades for every season. And I can’t wait to see what they do in s4 in November when it returns.  

Been looking for something new to start, I think I’ll go Seasons 1 and 2. I thought 2 was very underrated!

• Like 1