Tim Patrick v Courtland Sutton

paul-mac

Two of our top four WRs are UFAs after the season.

With Jeudy and Hamler still on their rookie deals and some decent young players including Kendall Hinton doing an admirable job at providing the depth, it seems like there will only be room for one of Sutton or Patrick on the 2022 Broncos. We have a lot of cap room, but also a lot of needs.

Sutton is the more talented player, but Patrick is so damn reliable. Is there an argument for keeping Patrick at his price over Sutton at his much higher salary? 

19 minutes ago, paul-mac said:

Two of our top four WRs are UFAs after the season.

With Jeudy and Hamler still on their rookie deals and some decent young players including Kendall Hinton doing an admirable job at providing the depth, it seems like there will only be room for one of Sutton or Patrick on the 2022 Broncos. We have a lot of cap room, but also a lot of needs.

Sutton is the more talented player, but Patrick is so damn reliable. Is there an argument for keeping Patrick at his price over Sutton at his much higher salary? 

You made the argument.  And frankly the skill set that’s durable and endures is Jeudy’s.    

I would much rather pay Patrick 7-8M a year and be able to retain Jeudy as top dog in our O in 2024, and allocate our expenses elsewhere.   

Back when Watson trade discussions were happening and “2 young players” were required - Sutton was easily the guy I included (and Chubb).   Not because they aren’t really good players.  But because they aren’t worth the 2nd contracts the market is going to give them.   

If it’s say 8M a year for Patrick and 14M a year for Sutton - give me Patrick every day of the week.   There’s no doubt Sutton is the better player in a vacuum.  But they occupy the same role.   And Patrick is about 85-90 percent of Sutton but at likely a little over half the cost.  Now that 10-15 percent matters if you don’t have an alpha WR1.  But we absolutely have that in Jeudy.     Easy call imo.  

Edited by Broncofan

This is a really good question. Can you imagine this as a thread prior to Sutton tearing his ACL ...

Patrick is 29 which isn't ideal. But, he's not got much tread on his tyres and explosion isn't a huge part of his game.

Courtland is definitely still not 100% and he's going to command considerably more guaranteed $ because of his younger age, but he's shown an ability to get open for explosive plays and his production has been good this year considering the Passing Offense.

If we had a top end QB, this would be an easy decision for me. Keep Patrick, let someone else pay Sutton. The sheer volume of young WR's coming into the league and contributing right away is just scary and you have a QB who makes everyone better.

But, we don't have a good QB and Sutton is out producing Patrick when the former isn't close to 100% (albeit Sutton is significantly less efficient in his target to catch ratio).

It all comes down to the money, I guess. The biggest issue in these scenarios can be when you let both hit the market and lose both. Given our QB situation, let's not discount that.

Patrick might be our better chance to re-sign. He doesn't have time to do another 1 year prove it deal. If we offer him a 2/3 year deal with a high % of guarantees, he might take that rather than risking hitting the open market and only getting 1 year offers.

• Like 1

To be completely honest, I might say neither. I like them both, they both bring something to the table, but could there be a cheaper FA option? Could we just draft another young WR? I don't think we'd go that way, but are either of these guys really where we should be throwing FA money? I'm not totally convinced.

If I had to pick one of the two, however, I'd take Patrick at this point.

I think people are really underrating Sutton. The guy has produced like a top 15 WR in 2019 and currently this year with next to nothing at QB. He could've had near 200 yards receiving last Sunday if Bridgewater could accurately throw the ball. He's big, strong, a pretty good route router, and is much faster than given credit for.

Case in point: 

Also, no drops this season thus far.

I think he's absolutely worth WR1 money and IMO, would be a top ten WR if we had any sort of decent QB play.

• Like 4

Nelson Agholor got $22M over 2 years in the offseason, and you guys think Tim Patrick is gonna be in the $7-8M range annually?? I’d lock him in for 6 years at that price. He’s easily north of $10M per, probably around $12M.  

Courtland is an alpha. He’s two years younger and is currently a top 20 WR while not all the way back from a torn ACL. That injury might help us with the next contract as his track record won’t be quite as extensive as it could be. If you can keep him south of $20M annually, I’ll take him over Patrick. 

• Like 2

Some really interesting points made. It's going to be fascinating to see how it develops. 

I wonder what Sutton's approach will be - will he take a (fair) offer from us, with his injury in the back of his mind and knowing that at any moment it could happen again? Or, does he bet on himself and force himself on to the open market? The franchise tag is definitely not out of the question for Courtland.

On 10/20/2021 at 8:31 PM, broncosfan_101 said:

Nelson Agholor got $22M over 2 years in the offseason, and you guys think Tim Patrick is gonna be in the $7-8M range annually?? I’d lock him in for 6 years at that price. He’s easily north of $10M per, probably around $12M.  

Courtland is an alpha. He’s two years younger and is currently a top 20 WR while not all the way back from a torn ACL. That injury might help us with the next contract as his track record won’t be quite as extensive as it could be. If you can keep him south of $20M annually, I’ll take him over Patrick. 

Agholor has a much better resume than Tim Patrick. I love Tim Patrick, his tape is incredible, he's super reliable, great hands, blocks well, good third down option, but let's not kid ourselves. Wide receivers get paid for production and Agholor had nearly as many touchdowns last season alone as Patrick's had in his whole career.

In hindsight it would have been awesome to lock down Patrick for a low price but I think I’d rather re-sign Sutton who I think can dominate for another 6-7 years, has the insane athletic profile to win at every level of the field and what feels like a real desire to be great. 

6 hours ago, paul-mac said:

Agholor has a much better resume than Tim Patrick. I love Tim Patrick, his tape is incredible, he's super reliable, great hands, blocks well, good third down option, but let's not kid ourselves. Wide receivers get paid for production and Agholor had nearly as many touchdowns last season alone as Patrick's had in his whole career.

Patrick’s on pace to have back to back seasons as good as Agholor had going into his FA year. Agholor had three of them in 4 years, Patrick will have two in two (at this rate). That’s gonna profile the same to teams looking for a #2/3 WR in free agency. He’s getting paid.

• 1 month later...