Is this the worst Browns regime?

everlong

6 minutes ago, mm6492 said:

My biggest issue with the Browns are the picks they spent on Kizer and Kessler. They have a ton of holes on the team and spent a 3rd and a 2nd on two QB's that i honestly doubt they thought were going to be the answer. Just select other players, build the team, and use a stopgap until you sign/trade/draft someone you truly believe is a franchise QB.

Kizer and Kessler were picks that were likely hugely influenced by Hue. The jury is still out on Kizer, but it's not looking good so far. Kessler has actually played fairly well considering the circumstances he's been in, but he seemed to be in Hue's dog house this season. Many in the Browns forum believe that Kessler should be starting as he gives the Browns a much better chance at winning a couple of games this season. Kessler at least looks like he should be a top backup in the league. Maybe a third round pick is too high to spend on a backup QB, but it's better than a complete bust. It's a shame that he has a weak arm, because he has just about everything else you look for in a QB.

3 minutes ago, DawgX said:

Kizer and Kessler were picks that were likely hugely influenced by Hue. The jury is still out on Kizer, but it's not looking good so far. Kessler has actually played fairly well considering the circumstances he's been in, but he seemed to be in Hue's dog house this season. Many in the Browns forum believe that Kessler should be starting as he gives the Browns a much better chance at winning a couple of games this season. Kessler at least looks like he should be a top backup in the league. Maybe a third round pick is too high to spend on a backup QB, but it's better than a complete bust. It's a shame that he has a weak arm, because he has just about everything else you look for in a QB.

And I still they they were wasted picks. Nobody thought Kesler would be a franchise QB and the Browns weren't in position to be looking for a future backup QB - may need to find a starter first.

1 minute ago, mm6492 said:

And I still they they were wasted picks. Nobody thought Kesler would be a franchise QB and the Browns weren't in position to be looking for a future backup QB - may need to find a starter first.

I don't think many Browns fans would disagree - I'm just saying it could be worse. I still think Kessler should have started the year, though. He had a 92 rating last season. He's seriously a decent QB. Just a limited QB.

26 minutes ago, DawgX said:

A third round pick is worth it for a solid to good backup.

9 hours ago, mm6492 said:

My biggest issue with the Browns are the picks they spent on Kizer and Kessler. They have a ton of holes on the team and spent a 3rd and a 2nd on two QB's that i honestly doubt they thought were going to be the answer. Just select other players, build the team, and use a stopgap until you sign/trade/draft someone you truly believe is a franchise QB.

2 hours ago, JaguarCrazy2832 said:

Impressive but isn't the problem really with the offense?

sure.  the majority of our draft picks the past two years have been on defense though (garrett nassib ogbah ogunjobi brantley schobert peppers kindred + trade for collins).  may lend some reason as to why we're better over there.  i'd expect a lot of offensive picks this year.  first round qb for sure.  maybe even a free agent qb (GOD I HOPE SO).  imo the most major mistake the browns FO made so far is coming into this season without a QB who has won an NFL game.

17 hours ago, jrry32 said:

Be reasonable here, Petey. Obviously, we're all people with the ability to think critically. Kicking the can down the road will not be an effective strategy forever. But they're in a position to build something special this year if they hit on their picks. Give them a chance to do that.

Doing that would be a colossal mistake unless they knew with certainty they could land a proven HC (such as Jim Harbaugh, Gruden, etc.).

Otherwise, ride it out for another year or two. Here are the Browns' coaches fired since 2010 (assuming they fire Hue like you're advocating):

Mangini - Fired after 2 years

Shurmur - Fired after 2 years

Chudzinski - Fired after 1 year

Pettine - Fired after 2 years

Hue - Fired after 2 years

I'm actually pretty aggressive when it comes to turning over coaches. However, firing your coach every two years is not a way to build stability, and it will keep you from attracting good candidates. Show some patience this time (unless you're getting a guaranteed guy, as I said above).

I would agree with you that I think that you need to let it play out for just a little bit longer. One of the reasons I love that Lynch / Shanny got the contracts we did. They are going to get the shot to make this work or not, and if it doesn't, then it's going to be on them and nobody can say that they weren't given the opportunity. 

However...armed with the first pick in the draft, in a class that may have some quarterbacks, if you can find out someone like Harbaugh is interested, and would be willing to take the job, do you pull the trigger, fire Hue and hire Harbs? 

10 minutes ago, Forge said:

I would agree with you that I think that you need to let it play out for just a little bit longer. One of the reasons I love that Lynch / Shanny got the contracts we did. They are going to get the shot to make this work or not, and if it doesn't, then it's going to be on them and nobody can say that they weren't given the opportunity. 

However...armed with the first pick in the draft, in a class that may have some quarterbacks, if you can find out someone like Harbaugh is interested, and would be willing to take the job, do you pull the trigger, fire Hue and hire Harbs? 

i dont think anyone would be interested who has a pedigree like harbs

Just now, mistakey said:

i dont think anyone would be interested who has a pedigree like harbs

Depends...sometimes that makes it more appealing. Coaches (particularly Harbs) can be raging ego maniacs. 

I think if he ends up anywhere, it's likely Indy, but if you're Cleveland and you've already had interest once, and the dirty work on the rebuild is done and you're not sure about Hue....

I just don't know if the Browns would pay him what it would take. 

1 minute ago, Forge said:

Depends...sometimes that makes it more appealing. Coaches (particularly Harbs) can be raging ego maniacs. 

I think if he ends up anywhere, it's likely Indy, but if you're Cleveland and you've already had interest once, and the dirty work on the rebuild is done and you're not sure about Hue....

I just don't know if the Browns would pay him what it would take. 

why? we're not cheap.  we pay 3 coaches at a time every year lol

i dont see how anyone can make a judgement on kizer right now....given the circumstances. Seriously.....your best WR just might end up being Sammie Coates...and thats saying a lot.. As steelers i love me some coates....but honestly...i forgot he was even gone. All I know is that he performed well in the preseason and was tough as nails in his debut against the steelers..he takes too many sacks because he is forcing things and trying to make things happen...like a rookie. if they take another qb anywhere near the first three rounds its laughable....and sad at the same time.

13 hours ago, Forge said:

As I said, the only things that lead me to fire Hue are:

1. Hue trying to make a power grab and undermining the front office; or

2. A proven NFL HC being willing to take the job (Harbaugh is that).

3 hours ago, jrry32 said:

As I said, the only things that lead me to fire Hue are:

1. Hue trying to make a power grab and undermining the front office; or

2. A proven NFL HC being willing to take the job (Harbaugh is that).

So, it does not bother you that Hue will likely have a 1-31 record, a record that no successful NFL HC has ever come close to reaching. Your giving him a bye on his record????

Who in their right mind would take a job as either HC or in the FO for a Haslam owned team. You would have to be a completely desperate former HC who has no other shot at ever coaching in the NFL again , ditto for FO personnel.

If Peyton actually took the job and brought Harbaugh along with him, the guaranteed money, they would be paid would mean, we would be stuck with them a minimum of 5 years, even if Manning turned out to be the worst GM in NFL history. That pretty well sums up the place Haslam has brought this franchise.

Archived