Perception of our franchise around the NFL

naptownskinsfan

Just read an article on the Athletic from Ben Standig, and even with two years of Rivera here, the perception has not quite changed here.  Additionally, Rivera being a defensive-minded coach, and the inexperience and questions surrounding Scott Turner as OC, is also playing a factor in perception.  It also seems that Standig is hinting that the Stafford trade was made in part due to Stafford preferring to work with McVay over Rivera/Turner.  

Here is the link, and I will post 1-2 snippets since it’s behind a paywall- https://theathletic.com/2903708/2021/10/21/washingtons-uncertainty-at-qb-wont-be-solved-easily-it-is-a-legit-nightmare/?source=user_shared_article

The free-agent market is thin, and teams generally do not make viable starters available by trade. Any veteran with sway will logically factor Washington’s reputation into any decision, and the organization was recently the subject of an independent investigation into widespread sexual harassment and abuse.

“(Snyder is) not well-liked by people in the NFL,” another agent said. “He is not well-regarded. So, until people believe that Snyder is out of the mix, Washington is not a preferred destination in the NFL.”

Another agent with quarterbacks clients — though not Rodgers — said of Washington, “If I have a choice, I want to go somewhere else.”

Such talk serves as a reminder that any sales pitch from Rivera faces varying challenges, but is needed.

• Like 4

What qb wouldn't want to work with McVay over Scott Turner?  That is obvious.  I don't think players care so much about owners as coaches.  Washington isn't the only junk show out there. 
And right now, in terms of attracting free agents, I would think  Rivera is more of a problem than Snyder.  Would you want to play for a defensive minded coach that can't squeeze squat out of this defense?

• Like 1

10 hours ago, offbyone said:

What qb wouldn't want to work with McVay over Scott Turner?  That is obvious.  I don't think players care so much about owners as coaches.  Washington isn't the only junk show out there. 
And right now, in terms of attracting free agents, I would think  Rivera is more of a problem than Snyder.  Would you want to play for a defensive minded coach that can't squeeze squat out of this defense?

I mean, that is an extreme example.  But right now, who wants to work for a franchise that just trotted out a celebrated player who passed and posed for a photo-op in front of porta-johns, and whose owner was in another picture wearing a hoodie?  It’s the perception of this franchise all around the league for the past decade that something is rotten, and it has always started at the top.  It doesn’t matter of you have a fresh paint of coat like Rivera and Jason Wright, those guys will always carry the water for Dan.  

I definitely agree with the second piece, but the perception of this franchise does play a role.  

• Like 1

On 10/21/2021 at 11:48 PM, naptownskinsfan said:

I mean, that is an extreme example.  But right now, who wants to work for a franchise that just trotted out a celebrated player who passed and posed for a photo-op in front of porta-johns, and whose owner was in another picture wearing a hoodie?  It’s the perception of this franchise all around the league for the past decade that something is rotten, and it has always started at the top.  It doesn’t matter of you have a fresh paint of coat like Rivera and Jason Wright, those guys will always carry the water for Dan.  

I definitely agree with the second piece, but the perception of this franchise does play a role.  

I don’t think the port-a-john picture was an official WFT picture. They had another picture of the family holding the sign and posing infront of the stadium/gate that someone tweeted out.

Our only chance at relevance in our lifetime guys is based on Snyder being axed!!! The NFL might actually between this teams attendance dropping almost 20 to 30 percent in the last 10 years and the gasoline we keep pouring on the league behind the scenes we might actually get him out. While logically there’s no excitement or expectations but I do actually think Snyder may just get his Karma. I think if Snyder gets the axe we as fans should show up at the facilities to celebrate like we just won the SB!!! Because to call Snyder trash is disrespectful to trash everywhere

• Like 4

11 hours ago, turtle28 said:

For the better part of the past two decades, those teams have been doormats.  

I will at least say this…….Khan is trying in Jacksonville.  I think putting his son in charge, who is also trying to run a soccer team and a wrestling promotion, is a mistake.  Everyone has a capacity, and I think Tony has to be pushing his right now.  But it seems that the Urban Meyer run is misguided like many of the directions we’ve tried to go over the years.  

But the rest?  They’ve got owners just coasting by. 

8 hours ago, ripsean21 said:

Our only chance at relevance in our lifetime guys is based on Snyder being axed!!! The NFL might actually between this teams attendance dropping almost 20 to 30 percent in the last 10 years and the gasoline we keep pouring on the league behind the scenes we might actually get him out. While logically there’s no excitement or expectations but I do actually think Snyder may just get his Karma. I think if Snyder gets the axe we as fans should show up at the facilities to celebrate like we just won the SB!!! Because to call Snyder trash is disrespectful to trash everywhere

Our average attendance this year is below maximum capacity at RFK. Oof 

• Like 2

29 minutes ago, naptownskinsfan said:

Our average attendance this year is below maximum capacity at RFK. Oof 

I’m not surprised at all. Honestly how can we expect a staff to coach or actually do their jobs when every week the owner does something stupid? Snyder is a trash owner. If he actually cared about this team he’d put the team up for sale before the league makes him. He has run this team into the ground. It’s so sad all these people have stood by this team and there’s so many that are just wanting to care. But every year We’re in the news for complete incompetence, Mismanagement and now just complete disregard for human decency. Trust me I’ve lived in the world long enough to know most of the time justice is in the form of a check from a person who has plenty.

Idc if it’s Congress the league Snyder or just league advisors saying man this team is a wasteland no fan support attendance or anything. Idc how he gets out but he has to go.

Just now, MKnight82 said:

Doesn't COVID have some play here?  I mean I wouldn't attend a game right now personally.  

You would have to compare attendance numbers throughout the league.  Lambeau looked pretty full today, and I have to say that UGA has packed their stadium consistently so far this year from what I see on the TV.  

We had a sellout for the Air Force/Navy game on 9/11 this year as well, which was close to 44,000. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, naptownskinsfan said:

You would have to compare attendance numbers throughout the league.  Lambeau looked pretty full today, and I have to say that UGA has packed their stadium consistently so far this year from what I see on the TV.  

We had a sellout for the Air Force/Navy game on 9/11 this year as well, which was close to 44,000. 

Ya good point. Tickets are probably down because it was pretty obvious they were punting this season. I don't disagree with the strategy but it definitely doesn't sell tickets. 

13 minutes ago, MKnight82 said:

Ya good point. Tickets are probably down because it was pretty obvious they were punting this season. I don't disagree with the strategy but it definitely doesn't sell tickets. 

Huh? Punting the season? You really believe that’s what they were attempting to do this season? 

• Like 1