2022 Coaching Candidates

BroncoBruin

13 minutes ago, AnAngryAmerican said:

I don’t disagree. I like casting a wide net and I’m glad George is doing so.

If we were in total rebuild mode, a Moore/Leftwich candidate I would be on board with, just like I think Taylor was good hire for Cincy and Staley for San Diego. I don’t think we’re full rebuild mode, get an established HC who either is (Hackett) or brings in a star OC (e.g. Quinn + Kubiak/McDaniel) and hopefully draws Rodgers or Wilson here. 

Agreed. I am normally okay with gambling on certain younger coordinators but this tme around (with the exception of Kellen Moore who I am okay with), I'd rather go with a more established option given the talent level on the team. Would also note, often times more established coaches are able to attract better coordinator talent, which is going to be exceedingly important in our case.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, AnAngryAmerican said:

I don’t disagree. I like casting a wide net and I’m glad George is doing so.

If we were in total rebuild mode, a Moore/Leftwich candidate I would be on board with, just like I think Taylor was good hire for Cincy and Staley for San Diego. I don’t think we’re full rebuild mode, get an established HC who either is (Hackett) or brings in a star OC (e.g. Quinn + Kubiak/McDaniel) and hopefully draws Rodgers or Wilson here. 

I mostly worry bout hiring a defensive HC and a "star OC" who proves he's a star and leaves after a year or two to become a HC. Then we start our offense over with a brand new staff. Star OCs don't stick around the way star DCs do. I don't really worry about total rebuild or not. We need a great HC regardless and I'd rather take the chance on potential if they're the best interview than a John Fox type (who Dan Quinn reminds me of) because he has been there before. 

11 minutes ago, grizmo78 said:

I mostly worry bout hiring a defensive HC and a "star OC" who proves he's a star and leaves after a year or two to become a HC. Then we start our offense over with a brand new staff. Star OCs don't stick around the way star DCs do. I don't really worry about total rebuild or not. We need a great HC regardless and I'd rather take the chance on potential if they're the best interview than a John Fox type (who Dan Quinn reminds me of) because he has been there before. 

Well, coaches are going to leave, it’s endemic to the business. But if a star OC (or DC) has equated himself well enough to get HC looks it means things are going well. Look at how the staffs of Kyle, McVay, Belichick, Vrabel, Reid, etc., get picked over every year. 

If Quinn is a John Fox clone, we could do worse. While I do believe Fox was, post McDisaster, exactly what we needed, I think Quinn is the type we need now. I just think getting an established HC who, as Ben points out, can usually bring in more established and better regarded coordinators, is where we are.

There is a lot of talent on this team that a competent CEO HC, who maybe has a somewhat heavier hand on one side of the ball, but also can delegate to his coordinators and has a feel for the HC type stuff in-game (something Vance and Vic both lacked but that Fox and, especially, Kubiak, had a handle on) can take advantage of. This team is ready to compete with good coaching and a real QB. It’s not dissimilar from the 2011 Tebow year; Elway put together a nice roster and we just needed a real QB. Once we got it, we were set and went to 2 SBs in 4 years. 

• Like 1

Belichick assistants perform better at the college level because they can be domineering there and it’s ok because of the life stage of the players, they are more accommodating to it.

In the NFL, unless your star player plays along, and takes WAYYY below their market rate, because they have a chip on their shoulder from being the 199th pick, it doesn’t work for very long.

• Like 2

18 minutes ago, broncos_fan _from _uk said:

Belichick assistants perform better at the college level because they can be domineering there and it’s ok because of the life stage of the players, they are more accommodating to it.

In the NFL, unless your star player plays along, and takes WAYYY below their market rate, because they have a chip on their shoulder from being the 199th pick, it doesn’t work for very long.

Well said. I also think Belichick assistants, especially those who worked entirely or predominantly under him, have been ingrained with such a control-freak nature and so acclimatized to one way of doing things, they work to exact total control. They refuse to delegate or collaborate. Allbright’s tweet on Flores is an example, so is O’Brien forcing out Rick Smith, so is reports that Judge will have a hand alongside Mara/Tisch in picking the new NYG GM, so is Mac here forcing out the Goodmans and manipulating Ellis/Xander’s, so is Quinn hiring Patricia in Detroit. The list goes on. Pioli hiring Crennel who was hideous. Mangini trying to run the whole show in Cleveland and in NYJ. 

If George hires a NE Coach, he better be ready to be undermined. And George is a strong GM and a smart dude, so I doubt he will do that. 

Edited by AnAngryAmerican

5 minutes ago, AnAngryAmerican said:

Well said. I also think Belichick assistants, especially those who worked entirely or predominantly under him, have been ingrained with such a control-freak nature and so acclimatized to one way of doing things, they work to exact total control. They refuse to delegate or collaborate. Allbright’s tweet on Flores is an example, so is O’Brien forcing out Rick Smith, so is reports that Judge will have a hand alongside Mara/Tisch in picking the new NYG GM, so is Mac here forcing out the Goodmans and manipulating Ellis/Xander’s, so is Quinn hiring Patricia in Detroit. The list goes on. Pioli hiring Crennel who was hideous. Mangini trying to run the whole show in Cleveland and in NYJ. 

If George hires a NE Coach, he better be ready to be undermined. And George is a strong GM and a smart dude, so I doubt he will do that. 

Agreed. All of that being said, I would still not be opposed to bring Mayo in as a DC 

2 hours ago, paul-mac said:

You can add Eric Bieniemy to the list. Paton casting the net very wide. 

So we’re interviewing Quinn (with ties to Russy Wilson), Hackett (ties to Rodgers), and Bieniemy (who Deshaun pounded the table for last offseason in HOU). Paton’s casting a very wide, but apparently also a very specific net. 

Add Gannon to the mix.

Dan Quinn

Kellen Moore

Nathaniel Hackett

Jerod Mayo

Jonathan Gannon

Eric Bienemy

Leslie Frazier has not been confirmed yet.  Gotta say, I love that the big names rumored to get interest (Moore/Hackett in particular) are coming to Denver - it's nice to be considered a top spot again.   I trust Paton will make the right evaluations, I love this list 100x more than the original decoy list Allbright put out 1 month ago lol (it included Scott Turner, Jason Garrett & Darrell Bevell - lol's).

Edited by Broncofan