2022 Coaching Candidates

BroncoBruin

5 minutes ago, grizmo78 said:

Rams OC Kevin O'Connell being interviewed as well. Glad there will be a thorough search and not unnecessarily limit ourselves to 3-4 candidates.  

Man, I love this list 1000x more than the retread list Allbright sent out in November lol.    O'Connell may not be a prime HC candidate, but I love that Paton is going after so many diverse trees.    Not a search that's pidgeonholed from the start.

• Like 3

George is a very, very professional GM. Elway - who did far more good here than bad, I hope no one forgets that - was a lot more haphazard and honed in on coaches/players he wanted, for better (Kubiak, Peyton, the 2012 free agent class) and for worse. He was also hamstrung by an incompetent CEO who (I believe and has been reported) was a crapshow. 

Not every candidate George is interviewing I like - some I believe would be a total disaster - but if absolutely nothing else, he can show the league, the fanbase, the new owner, the media, everyone, that he is leaving no stone unturned. 

And he is doing it all intentionally like he has with every move he has made, giving Vic all he could to succeed. He was effusive in his praise yesterday of Vic (of Vic!). I think he’s a serious adult about this job.

His decisions might not work (bringing in Teddy to be the guaranteed starter was one, as I said at the time) and this HC hire might not work, but I do applaud him for doing the work. He has been, since day one, very, very professional in his approach. 

• Like 1

57 minutes ago, Broncofan said:

Man, I love this list 1000x more than the retread list Allbright sent out in November lol.    O'Connell may not be a prime HC candidate, but I love that Paton is going after so many diverse trees.    Not a search that's pidgeonholed from the start.

Yeah. O’Connell as HC, no. But as a potential OC, maybe. 

George really is casting a very wide bet and I think is looking to build relationships with coordinators in addition to HCs. Very good work.

3 minutes ago, AnAngryAmerican said:

Yeah. O’Connell as HC, no. But as a potential OC, maybe. 

George really is casting a very wide bet and I think is looking to build relationships with coordinators in addition to HCs. Very good work.

Tbh, if we're gonna poach a young coordinator, I want it from the McVay tree. 

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, AnAngryAmerican said:

George is a very, very professional GM. Elway - who did far more good here than bad, I hope no one forgets that - was a lot more haphazard and honed in on coaches/players he wanted, for better (Kubiak, Peyton, the 2012 free agent class) and for worse. He was also hamstrung by an incompetent CEO who (I believe and has been reported) was a crapshow. 

Not every candidate George is interviewing I like - some I believe would be a total disaster - but if absolutely nothing else, he can show the league, the fanbase, the new owner, the media, everyone, that he is leaving no stone unturned. 

And he is doing it all intentionally like he has with every move he has made, giving Vic all he could to succeed. He was effusive in his praise yesterday of Vic (of Vic!). I think he’s a serious adult about this job.

His decisions might not work (bringing in Teddy to be the guaranteed starter was one, as I said at the time) and this HC hire might not work, but I do applaud him for doing the work. He has been, since day one, very, very professional in his approach. 

I agree with this sans the Teddy part, which I think was less about Paton and more about soliciting Vic's input on who he wanted.

That said, Paton is as professional a GM as I've seen, and that mirrors what I've read about him in media/other reports. I firmly believe we have ourselves a star GM in the making.

• Like 2

18 minutes ago, broncos67 said:

I agree with this sans the Teddy part, which I think was less about Paton and more about soliciting Vic's input on who he wanted.

That said, Paton is as professional a GM as I've seen, and that mirrors what I've read about him in media/other reports. I firmly believe we have ourselves a star GM in the making.

Oh totally. The Teddy decision was about giving Vic a QB who he wanted - a safe, veteran, experienced game-manager - so Vic could let his defense win games. George let Vic Coach 1980s NFC south football in the 2020s.

George empowered Vic, gave him all he wanted including rookie future All Pros at RB and CB, a veteran game manager QB, LBs who could cover and when Vic couldn’t get to the playoffs with all that and the easiest schedule in the league, he was rightfully shown the door in a classy and professional manner that was befitting of the Coach Vic is. 

Now, go change the game, George. Go win. 

• Like 3

Not gonna lie, I'm thrilled with Paton as our GM and with this wide net he is casting. 

I definitely agree with what most are saying here, but for once I fully trust the man that's in charge. Love what Elway has brought this team but I have far more trust with Paton, for some reason. 

Despite the string of disappointing seasons, I'm as excited for the future as I've ever been as a Broncos fan. It feels like we're finally getting a solid fresh-start. 

Fun anecdote: I manage a bakery in LA and the guy whose company just deep cleaned our bakery was teammates with George at Loyola High School. Apparently they're still close and he basically confirmed with me that Paton knows we needed a new coach and that QB is the number one issue. Made it seem like he was itching to get into the off-season and really make the team his own. I pressed him for details but obviously he was coy (he probably doesn't know anything anyway) He was obviously biased but it was pretty amazing how effusive he was with praise for his friend and for some reason that gave me so much confidence in him. 

• Like 3

15 minutes ago, AKRNA said:

Sooooooooooo, what prompted that?

Ignoring common sense.  Fangio made it clear that he didn’t want Drew Lock as his QB, but Paton is just as guilty if not more so.

I can’t stand Lock, but this organization isn’t and wasn’t working in good faith and all of a sudden Paton is getting a pass in that.  

Edited by germ-x