2022 Coaching Candidates

BroncoBruin

12 minutes ago, Cutler06 said:

Can U ??

Maybe.  When I was in high school, certainly because I had to for baseball tryouts.  But 30 years later...mmmm...I only say maybe because I still stay in shape; but age might have the best of me.

But doesn't Quinn run the stairs at the stadium before each game? 

Edited by jsthomp2007

3 minutes ago, Broncofan said:

It's a MUCH stronger crowd we're choosing from the last time.

I'd be OK with Quinn (paired with good young OC and the game management issues thoroughly vetted), Moore, O'Connell & Hackett (although Hackett is far more with mindset that ARod is coming along there).    There's a gap IMO between those 4 and the next 6.

The 2nd GB interview sure sounds like the OC in a Hackett staff.   I would be surprised if Mayo was anything but a DC interview masked as a HC interview. 

The reality though is there is a ton of stuff we're not seeing.  I do trust Paton's judgment from what I've seen so far - ultimately, finding the right QB to pair with the new HC/OC/DC combo is going to be as important as this hire, but both are key moves that will define the next 3+ years of Paton's era with full responsibility.   It's his org now.

Aaron Glenn is getting an interview too

12 minutes ago, Broncofan said:

It's a MUCH stronger crowd we're choosing from the last time.

I'd be OK with Quinn (paired with good young OC and the game management issues thoroughly vetted), Moore, O'Connell & Hackett (although Hackett is far more with mindset that ARod is coming along there).    There's a gap IMO between those 4 and the next 6.

The 2nd GB interview sure sounds like the OC in a Hackett staff.   I would be surprised if Mayo was anything but a DC interview masked as a HC interview. 

The reality though is there is a ton of stuff we're not seeing.  I do trust Paton's judgment from what I've seen so far - ultimately, finding the right QB to pair with the new HC/OC/DC combo is going to be as important as this hire, but both are key moves that will define the next 3+ years of Paton's era with full responsibility.   It's his org now.

With hindsight, doesn't feel that much stronger. 

Our last coaching change the following coaches were hired: Kingsbury, Kitchens, Zac Taylor, Fangio, LaFleur, Flores, Gase, and Arians. 

The time before that was:

Mcdermott, Joseph, McVay, Shanahan,  Marrone, and Lynn. 

There are some great coaches on those lists... but again, maybe my hindsight bias. 

So I spoke with my beat reporter friend today and he had some interesting insights. Nothing ground breaking and most of which jives with what we’ve all been saying. 

-His “gut” feeling is that Quinn and Hackett are the two front runners going in. He said those two appear to most possess the traits Paton values highly. 

-That said, Paton is going in with an open mind and, despite the two aforementioned front runners, believes someone could surprise (he mentioned O'Connell specifically). 

-He believe Bieniemy has HCing chops but has some red flags that would require something of a “leap of faith” but that he is one of the favorites among the Denver media. Also not sure where he would find a defensive staff, that part of the interview he said will be critical for EB. 

-He doesn’t believe Kellen Moore has the big personality that Paton prefers, but is an X’s and O’s wiz. Believes JJ could make him a handshake offer to stay in Dallas a HC in waiting. 

-He says the preference by Paton is for a WCO (Shanahan/McVay style) and because of that believes Quinn (who would hire an OC from that tree, possibility McDaniel, Kubiak or Getsy) and Hackett, Getsy, Gannon and O’Connell are either from that tree or would hire an OC from that tree. 

-He also found it surprising that Allen and Daboll do not appear as if they will be interviewed. 

-He thinks Mayo and Getsy are potential coordinator hires. He said he believes Hackett (if hired as HC) would bring Getsy to be OC/QBs and would be a signal we’re going all-in for Rodgers, who he also believes is “far more” likely to land here than Wilson. 

• Like 4

11 minutes ago, AnAngryAmerican said:

So I spoke with my beat reporter friend today and he had some interesting insights. Nothing ground breaking and most of which jives with what we’ve all been saying. 

-His “gut” feeling is that Quinn and Hackett are the two front runners going in. He said those two appear to most possess the traits Paton values highly. 

-That said, Paton is going in with an open mind and, despite the two aforementioned front runners, believes someone could surprise (he mentioned O'Connell specifically). 

-He believe Bieniemy has HCing chops but has some red flags that would require something of a “leap of faith” but that he is one of the favorites among the Denver media. Also not sure where he would find a defensive staff, that part of the interview he said will be critical for EB. 

-He doesn’t believe Kellen Moore has the big personality that Paton prefers, but is an X’s and O’s wiz. Believes JJ could make him a handshake offer to stay in Dallas a HC in waiting. 

-He says the preference by Paton is for a WCO (Shanahan/McVay style) and because of that believes Quinn (who would hire an OC from that tree, possibility McDaniel, Kubiak or Getsy) and Hackett, Getsy, Gannon and O’Connell are either from that tree or would hire an OC from that tree. 

-He also found it surprising that Allen and Daboll do not appear as if they will be interviewed. 

-He thinks Mayo and Getsy are potential coordinator hires. He said he believes Hackett (if hired as HC) would bring Getsy to be OC/QBs and would be a signal we’re going all-in for Rodgers, who he also believes is “far more” likely to land here than Wilson. 

Really good stuff

12 minutes ago, champ11 said:

I don't think this is breaking news with what has been reported - but my good friend has a buddy that is pretty high up in the Saints FO and he texted me that "cowboys scouts think Dan Quinn to Denver - he and Paton are very close"  ... FWIW

When Quinn was one of the candidates Elway considered in 2015 before we hired Gary, I wasn’t a fan - he was just the “hot coordinator” from a good team, with a great HC and loads of talent - but the fact that he went and enjoyed some success as a HC, winning in a division that had both Brees and a pre-SB50 Cam - and was fired for poor results, and after losing Kyle as his OC, I don’t see the major red flags. It’s not like he created a toxic culture, or divided the locker room, or threw assistants under the bus. He was accountable and his players loved him. 

If you look at the SB winning HCs the last 21 years - since 2000 - 13 of them were won by coaches on their second HC stint (yes, BB was 6 of those 13, but still) but the rest of the list includes Dungy, Gruden, Coughlin, Carroll, Kubiak, Arians and Reid. Only Cowher, Tomlin, McCarthy, Harbaugh and Pederson were first-time HCs. And other than Tomlin, most had long tenures as successful players, coordinators or other factors that were unique and portended eventual success.  

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, germ-x said:

Maybe I am misremembering but seems like they’re interviewing a lot more candidates than in the past.

You’re 100%.

I don’t have all the names right in front of me but in 2011 (post Mac) Elway interviewed four or five, Perry Fewell, Dennison, Studesville, Fox (obviously). After Fox was fired they did two or three token interviews before naming Gary. After Gary retired it was Kyle, Vance and Toub getting interviewed and we …. Yah, whoops. And then when Vic was hired it was Pagano, Munchak, Vic and one or two others. 

4 minutes ago, AnAngryAmerican said:

You’re 100%.

I don’t have all the names right in front of me but in 2011 (post Mac) Elway interviewed four or five, Perry Fewell, Dennison, Studesville, Fox (obviously). After Fox was fired they did two or three token interviews before naming Gary. After Gary retired it was Kyle, Vance and Toub getting interviewed and we …. Yah, whoops. And then when Vic was hired it was Pagano, Munchak, Vic and one or two others. 

Flores and Zac Taylor were the other two IIRC. 

6 minutes ago, AnAngryAmerican said:

You’re 100%.

man that's a really brutal list lmaoo. this is much more promising this year. tho the kubiak hire was an absolute home run. 

28 minutes ago, AnAngryAmerican said:

You’re 100%.

The last time we did a proper thorough search like this was 2009 when we ended up hiring McDaniels. I can’t remember all the names that were interviewed but there were 9-10 including Steve Spagnuolo, Todd Bowles and Raheem Morris. 

• Like 1