2021 Week 8 GDT Steelers visit Da Browns

Steeler Hitman

45 minutes ago, Dcash4 said:

I can't be the only one who thinks Wormley has been playing well can I? He is nowhere near as splashy as the top two in Heyward and Tuitt, but he is also the #4 and I thought has been playing pretty well. Ive said before I don't like PFF in totality, but I think their best/easiest to measure is probably in the trenches -- where he rates above average. 

He isn't the guy you want starting instead of Tuitt or Alualu....but I also wouldn't be rushing out the door to cut him. 

He is a solid backup and paid as such.   Worth keeping around.

Tuitt might never play another down for us again.

• Like 2

Im not trying to absolve Wormley, but some of that article seems like it went in WANTING to place blame on him and just did it regardless. There are definitely times when he loses ground on his battles, but a couple of these are placing blame on him instead of on others around him. 

Watch play 2 and the final one. Play 2, TJ gets way too much depth instead of staying down the line more. Theres no TE in the final play, but TJ stays down the line and easily makes the play on the cutback. TJ probably sells too hard on the run at the end (Browns gonna come out with boots), but he has to stay home in the first play and contain and he isn't in a position to do that. Wormely isnt perfect here, but of Schobert doesnt get his butt whooped by a TE and TJ is more in position -- you never think to blame Wormley for something here. 

On the 4th play (I think), they say Wormley loses badly, which he really doesn't, but no one is asking a question of why all 10 guys on defense move left with the play at the snap....instead of Buggs, who jumps right and is shoulder to shoulder with Heyward as the gap to Buggs left is the one the RB gets through. Someone with more defensive/DL experience could tell me if thats a design....but Buggs is lined up head up on the C and jumps to LG, just ole'ing the C to go ahead and take our LB head on. Wormley is outside leverage against the T. Wormley keeps his leverage, Schobert gets to take on a C (yay!), and Buggs moves in the wrong direction before the right one. IMO, this is either on design flaws or Buggs. 

That first Loudermilk play made me laugh though, such a weird play. IL immediately gets his shoulders turned by the guard who was in a decent position to block him, but TJ takes out the G as a wrecking ball into the backfield....then the C pushed Loudermilk out of the trash and right into the running back. Full speed, it makes Loudermilk look like an absolute killer though. 

Schobert is for sure a concern though, but that's not why he is here. We definitely need Tuitt back, but I don't see anything there that makes Wormley seem unplayable. But with Light ILB and your 4th, 5th, and 6th DL playing -- its never going to be great. 

I am hoping Ingram is healthy and we see some 3 OLB's with TJ blowing up the middle on some early downs. We have seen this defense go to that when we get blasted a bit in the run game and TJ can really be a wrecking ball. I don't want to take him off the edge often, but he could be a solid solution from time to time. 

42 minutes ago, August4th said:

Well, that's a bummer about Ingram for the bottom of my post above using 3 OLBers with TJ being a MOF wrecking ball....

But what was Taco Charlton like as a run defender? I know he never lived up to the rusher hype of his draft status, but isn't the dude like 6'6 270? Seems to be that might be useful setting the edge on a team who plans to run on us. 

22 minutes ago, Dcash4 said:

But what was Taco Charlton like as a run defender? I know he never lived up to the rusher hype of his draft status, but isn't the dude like 6'6 270? Seems to be that might be useful setting the edge on a team who plans to run on us. 

I'm kind of under the impression that he's bad at most things. I wonder if they can convince him to gain 20lbs and be a 5 tech? 

This is gonna be a tough game for the Browns. I mean, divisional games usually aren't ever easy, plus we're really banged up. It's already been announced that Ward and Peoples-Jones is out, and plenty of other guys are questionable.

I can easily see you guys winning this one.

6 minutes ago, MOSteelers56 said:

We've got to take this one. They're all kinds of banged up and we're pretty healthy. We can't drop another division game. 

we're currently in the easiest part of the schedule. Den, Sea(no wilson) @ banged up cle, chi and Det. I think we have to come out of this stretch at 5-0 (2-0, so far), because after that our schedule is brutal. I can't see this offense keeping up with teams remaining

2 minutes ago, August4th said:

we're currently in the easiest part of the schedule. Den, Sea(no wilson) @ banged up cle, chi and Det. I think we have to come out of this stretch at 5-0 (2-0, so far), because after that our schedule is brutal. I can't see this offense keeping up with teams remaining

I agree, but it is hard for me to imagine them winning five in a row. I know they won 11 straight last year, but they still have been one of the most inconsistent teams since the 11-0 start. I hope you are correct and I can very optimistically hope they go 5-0 or 4-1 (with the typical one game let down or play down to).

Realistically I can see them go 3-2 dropping games to Cle and Chi town, and barely beating Detroit. This team is so up and down, you never know.

6 minutes ago, DawgX said:

This is gonna be a tough game for the Browns. I mean, divisional games usually aren't ever easy, plus we're really banged up. It's already been announced that Ward and Peoples-Jones is out, and plenty of other guys are questionable.

Packers were banged up last night and won. The Browns have been waiting to put it on the Steelers for a long time. Unlike many other years, I think the Browns are the better team and create some mismatches.  Run, run, and run again and the Browns could pull this out on physicality alone. The game will be won in the trenches and whoever holds onto the football better. An int or fumble can be the difference. 

Thanks for the input. This Steelers team rarely does anything easily.  The Steelers are not 100% healthy either. WR Ju Ju and NT Tyson Alualu are gone for the year. DE/DT Tuitt and RT  Zach Banner  have not played yet. The back-up NG Carlos Davis hasn't played much. Engram will be out. Ebron will be out (although that may not be such a bad thing though the way he blocks and has dropped passes)😁.

RT Zach Banner and RB Anthony McFarland  should be back this week. That may add a spark in the ground game and some zip out of the backfield. Baker playing with the injury is somewhat perplexing and concerning. If he lands on that bad shoulder, he could injure it further and it has to affect his throwing motion/zip in follow through. Whoever wins in the trenches and protects the football should win this game. I think you (The Browns) have the better OL and DL right now. I hate to say it, but being truthful. 

33 minutes ago, DawgX said:

with our offense being the way that it is, it honestly wouldn't take much for ya'll to win. run well, play safe and control T.O.P and I can see a cle blowout win(something like 27-10). our best shot is coming out fast and taking a quick 10-0/14-3 type lead in the 1st half and hope the defense can carry the rest of the way.