Random Thoughts

dll2000

3 hours ago, dll2000 said:

Pace is gambling on a lot of talented but ‘busted’ players.

1) Artie Burns 1st round bust.

2) Ifedi 1st round bust.

3) Mingo 1st round bust.

Mingo is older and you kind of know what your are getting.  Same with Graham.  I don’t think there will be any surprises with them.  You hope they can play within a range of what they did the year before and not get hurt.   

But Burns and Ifedi have an outside chance to surprise because they are still young.   A new place, a new coach, a new scheme.  Its not likely, but it could happen.

At least as far as Burns and Mingo go they were brought in for reserve roles too so there isn’t a ton of dependence upon them so if they miss it’s a small deal. Burns and Mingo are established good core ST players and if that’s the only role they fill here they’re already solid signings. If Ifedi is going to be expected to start the risk is bigger but of the 3 he’s the one at a position I think all of us are reasonably sure will also be hit with a high draft pick which also further mitigates that risk. 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, dll2000 said:

Pace is gambling on a lot of talented but ‘busted’ players.

1) Artie Burns 1st round bust.

2) Ifedi 1st round bust.

3) Mingo 1st round bust.

Mingo is older and you kind of know what your are getting.  Same with Graham.  I don’t think there will be any surprises with them.  You hope they can play within a range of what they did the year before and not get hurt.   

But Burns and Ifedi have an outside chance to surprise because they are still young.   A new place, a new coach, a new scheme.  Its not likely, but it could happen.

Hey.....ya' gotta specialize in something.  We specialize in first round busts.  :D

I'm not expecting much of of Ifedi but I think Mingo and Burns will help us out on ST and maybe even as some decent defensive depth before the year is out.  They aren't top shelf starting material but they have enough game experience to know how it's played.

5 hours ago, beardown3231 said:

No GM gambles on players when he gives them 1 year deals so I wouldn't say he's gambling on these guys. If he gave them all sizable deals, that'd be one thing. He gave them all small & short contracts. Mingo isn't coming here to play a big role, he's coming here to primarily play ST. Burns may be cut in August depending on Roberson and/or Toliver's performance. Ifedi may end up being the starting RG but it's more likely he's a back-up there and a swing OT in the event of injury.

Gambling in sense you are hoping to take a talented underachiever and unlock that talent.   

• Like 1

On 3/23/2020 at 1:49 PM, beardown3231 said:

Here's a random thought topic:

What does everyone here do for a living?

I am an attorney in Far West Burbs (McHenry County).  Actually went to law school and then worked a lot of non-legal jobs for several years because I wanted time to coach football.   I would probably be rich by now, but for that obsession in my 20s and my early 30s.   If I didn't have children I would have went back to school and been a teacher/coach.   I could never pull it off with current debt and lack of time.  

Then I finally bit the bullet and went to work for a firm about 7 years ago or so.   I guess I am rich in everything that matters.   I am happily married with good kids.   

I do traffic defense, real estate closings, wills and trusts and traffic prosecution for a small village.  I started doing some probate recently too.   Still new to Probate.   If you get a ticket in McHenry county or are selling your house in any Far Western Burb give me a call.  

All courthouses are closed right now and all my pending cases have to be rescheduled.  Making my life difficult.

Looks like I may have to cancel a family vacation that was scheduled for May.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, dll2000 said:

I am an attorney in Far West Burbs (McHenry County).  Actually went to law school and then worked a lot of non-legal jobs for several years because I wanted time to coach football.   I would probably be rich by now, but for that obsession in my 20s and my early 30s.   If I didn't have children I would have went back to school and been a teacher/coach.   I could never pull it off with current debt and lack of time.  

Then I finally bit the bullet and went to work for a firm about 7 years ago or so.   I guess I am rich in everything that matters.   I am happily married with good kids.   

I do traffic defense, real estate closings, wills and trusts and traffic prosecution for a small village.  I started doing some probate recently too.   Still new to Probate.   If you get a ticket in McHenry county or are selling your house in any Far Western Burb give me a call.  

All courthouses are closed right now and all my pending cases have to be rescheduled.  Making my life difficult.

Looks like I may have to cancel a family vacation that was scheduled for May.

All that and you still have time to post here? You're the man.

3 hours ago, abstract_thought said:

I don't think Pace is gambling so much as scrap-heap shopping. He's done a good job getting guys who can contribute on special teams.

However you'd qualify it--I admire what he's up to. It's smart. 

• Like 1

14 hours ago, dll2000 said:

So if I uh....get indicted for some capital offense you're not my guy huh?

Damn, my last guy is doing 10-20 for running a prostitution ring.  xDxD

OK brother......just for you.  LOL

wkhO5RF.jpg?fit=2000,2000&ssl=1

• Like 2

37 minutes ago, soulman said:

So if I uh....get indicted for some capital offense you're not my guy huh?

Damn, my last guy is doing 10-20 for running a prostitution ring.  xDxD

OK brother......just for you.  LOL

wkhO5RF.jpg?fit=2000,2000&ssl=1

Nah. DUIs is about as serious as I do.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, dll2000 said:

Nah. DUIs is about as serious as I do.  

Ah that's OK.  I'm too old to get into any serious trouble any longer and I've remained single for over 20 years because I'd already spent enough money on divorces.  :(

On 3/23/2020 at 2:49 PM, beardown3231 said:

Here's a random thought topic:

What does everyone here do for a living?

I am a healthcare worker and I live in Richmond, Va.  I am glad that they are planning to move forward with the draft as scheduled.  I think it gives people, especially football fans, something to look forward to.  Hopefully we will start to see the pandemic level out here.  The current situation is a bit exhausting.  I, like most of us, can use a break from our current reality.

• Like 1