GM-HC options

Rolni

1 hour ago, jimkelly02 said:

Question for everyone:

If Harbaugh is hired as the coach….

1) Who are some likely OC candidates?

2) Is it possible we keep Bradley as the DC?

Have a hard time seeing Jim not brining in his guys. Seems like something he does with every job. Have zero clue about OC if we’re playing the connection game Pep Hamltion would be an obvious connection as someone here already said. 

Some good points here. I wonder if we did land Harbs if he would want a specific guy for GM, or if Mayock could be retained in some role as head scout or assistant GM? It'd be unorthodox and awkward but I would be intrigued by MM simply in a draft advisory role. 

Would be a way we could somewhat see if he truly does blow at drafting or if Gruden was the culprit. 

4 hours ago, jimkelly02 said:

Question for everyone:

If Harbaugh is hired as the coach….

1) Who are some likely OC candidates?

2) Is it possible we keep Bradley as the DC?

I think the most likely OC candidate is Pep Hamilton. He worked with Harbaugh at Stanford then followed Andrew Luck to Indy where he was the OC for 3 seasons, reunited with Harbaugh at Michigan, was a head coach in the XFL for a season, then worked with Justin Herbert as their QB coach last year, and is currently the QB coach/passing game coordinator with Houston where Davis Mills has exceeded expectations. 

I don't think Bradley will be retained, if we're going for a splash hire it will be Vic Fangio, if we're not he'll bring his DC from Michigan with him.

52 minutes ago, big_palooka said:

Saying there is interest on both sides, but Raiders are expected to do a "real search". 

Basically, Davis realizes he made a mockery of the Rooney rule with the Gruden hiring and will do a "real search".

When we hired Jon Gruden there was some backlash as some said that we didn't interview any minority candidates but Reggie McKenzie said that we did interview 2 minority candidates, we just never disclosed who they were. I'd assume that our "interest" in Todd Bowles and Leslie Frazier is really just so that we can meet the Rooney rule requirements before we hire Harbaugh. 

10 hours ago, BobbyPhil1781 said:

I don't have enough time to list all the things that make him a dbag. And yes, if you've paid attention, he's been bad at Michigan. 3-13 against top 10 teams, can't beat his rivals, and 1-5 in bowl games. You can give him credit for beating Rutgers, Purdue, and Northwestern if you want to but games against good competition, his teams are not good.... Look at the whole picture and not a couple seasons like you did above.

Edit: A key factor in this is he has a lot of top recruiting classes. Definitely worth mentioning and I did not

We need someone that's going to come into the organization and be a leader. One of the reasons we've been a laughing stock for so long is because we've lacked leadership, that won't be a problem with Harbaugh. Look at Michigan this season they went 12-1 with a win over Michigan and made the college football playoffs. Michigan is a prestigious program because they were great during the 1990s but the program hasn't really be a true national contender for a while. In the 15 years before Harbaugh was hired they had 4 10+ win seasons and hadn't won the Big 10 since 2004, in 6 full seasons with Harbaugh they have 4 10+ win seasons and just won the conference. 

Kliff Kingsbury was 35-40 at Texas Tech and won 1 bowl game in 6 seasons. Urban Meyer was 187-32 at Utah, Florida, and Ohio State with multiple national championships. So in theory Meyer should've been a much better coach then Cliff, right? Some guys are just better suited to be college coaches while others are better suited to be NFL coaches. 

The 49ers hadn't had a winning season in 7 years before they hired Harbaugh and made 3 straight NFC title games in his first 3 seasons.

25 minutes ago, NYRaider said:

in 6 full seasons with Harbaugh they have 4 10+ win seasons and just won the conference. 

Again, you're hanging your hat on his teams, full of big time recruits, beating up teams with 2* and 3* kids. Again, his teams record against competition on par with his:

3-13 against top 10 teams

1-5 in bowl games

You can hang onto those wins against Rutgers, NW, and Illinois but the fact of the matter is his teams have struggled, mightily, against teams similar in strength. There's literally no denying this. No one, ever, should be advocating for someone with this resume bc in the NFL, there are no NWs, Rutgers, or Illinois. There's only teams with tons of talent, some just better than others. The fact he consistently has the second best recruiting class in the conference, and can't muster 10 win seasons 33% of the time, is also a red mark. 

Being awful against your rivals is also very worrisome. Also take into account he's acting like the kid who comes over to play Mario Kart, you beat him constantly and he keeps asking for rematches. After 15 rounds, he wins one, then drops the controller and walks away like he's the champ. That's what we're potentially seeing. That is one of the reasons he's a giant dbag. 

Edited by BobbyPhil1781

8 minutes ago, BobbyPhil1781 said:

No one, ever, should be advocating for someone with this resume bc in the NFL, there are no NWs, Rutgers, or Illinois. There's only teams with tons of talent, some just better than others. The fact he consistently has the second best recruiting class in the conference, and can't muster 10 win seasons 33% of the time, is also a red mark. 

What about his time in the NFL? He was 44-19-1 with 3 NFC Championship game appearances and a Super Bowl appearance that would've been a Super Bowl win had the officials not screwed them on the final play. You're knocking him over losing to Ohio State but in 4 seasons with the 49ers he won 5 playoff games, our organization as a whole has won 5 playoff games since 1990.

18 minutes ago, NYRaider said:

What about his time in the NFL? He was 44-19-1 with 3 NFC Championship game appearances and a Super Bowl appearance that would've been a Super Bowl win had the officials not screwed them on the final play. You're knocking him over losing to Ohio State but in 4 seasons with the 49ers he won 5 playoff games, our organization as a whole has won 5 playoff games since 1990.

You really don't read everything, do you? I've said "again" and listed reasons for why I'm knocking him each time then you just make up something else. 

You're very, very difficult to have a legit discussion with. And I want to make it known this isn't me talking ****. I'm just saying "I don't like him for reasons X, Y, and Z" then you're like "you don't like him for reason F". That makes it very hard to continue bc I feel like I'm wasting my time

Edited by BobbyPhil1781

1 hour ago, BobbyPhil1781 said:

Again, you're hanging your hat on his teams, full of big time recruits, beating up teams with 2* and 3* kids. Again, his teams record against competition on par with his:

3-13 against top 10 teams

1-5 in bowl games

You can hang onto those wins against Rutgers, NW, and Illinois but the fact of the matter is his teams have struggled, mightily, against teams similar in strength. There's literally no denying this. No one, ever, should be advocating for someone with this resume bc in the NFL, there are no NWs, Rutgers, or Illinois. There's only teams with tons of talent, some just better than others. The fact he consistently has the second best recruiting class in the conference, and can't muster 10 win seasons 33% of the time, is also a red mark. 

Being awful against your rivals is also very worrisome. Also take into account he's acting like the kid who comes over to play Mario Kart, you beat him constantly and he keeps asking for rematches. After 15 rounds, he wins one, then drops the controller and walks away like he's the champ. That's what we're potentially seeing. That is one of the reasons he's a giant dbag. 

There is absolutely nothing special about Michigan football. They don't have a great offensive scheme or a great defensive scheme, nothing. I don't see why he's such a great coach in college.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, NYRaider said:

I think the most likely OC candidate is Pep Hamilton. He worked with Harbaugh at Stanford then followed Andrew Luck to Indy where he was the OC for 3 seasons, reunited with Harbaugh at Michigan, was a head coach in the XFL for a season, then worked with Justin Herbert as their QB coach last year, and is currently the QB coach/passing game coordinator with Houston where Davis Mills has exceeded expectations. 

I don't think Bradley will be retained, if we're going for a splash hire it will be Vic Fangio, if we're not he'll bring his DC from Michigan with him.

I'd be cool with Pep. He's a solid hand, for sure. 

Looking out 5 years, Carr will either be elsewhere or his eventual replacement will ideally be on the roster. Hamilton is a guy I want coaching up a QB. 

Most of the teams in the NFL don’t take the Rooney rule serious. This is why it was dumb for the Raiders to not do interviews the past two weeks when the window opened up for them. Should have used that time to interview coaches so when the season was over you can make your move. 

35 minutes ago, Bitty 2.0 said:

There is absolutely nothing special about Michigan football. They don't have a great offensive scheme or a great defensive scheme, nothing. I don't see why he's such a great coach in college.

Exactly. There's nothing special but it's actually the exact opposite. They constantly have great recruiting classes. 

2016: 8th

2017: 5th

2018: 22nd

2019: 8th

2020: 10th

And people are celebrating 10 win seasons even though his teams simply cannot beat comparable talent?? With those classes, you should be winning conferences and competing for titles. Before this year, he wasn't doing any of that. 

His NFL tenure was a long time ago and things change. Are we sure he can do that again? If any college coach without a name has "accomplished" what Harbaugh has at Michigan, they would've been fired after year 4 and we're asking him to get promoted to coach our team? No. 

I want a young, up-and-comer or a proven commodity. Not a guy who had success a decade ago. We tried that. No more

Edited by BobbyPhil1781

2 hours ago, BobbyPhil1781 said:

You really don't read everything, do you? I've said "again" and listed reasons for why I'm knocking him each time then you just make up something else. 

You're very, very difficult to have a legit discussion with. And I want to make it known this isn't me talking ****. I'm just saying "I don't like him for reasons X, Y, and Z" then you're like "you don't like him for reason F". That makes it very hard to continue bc I feel like I'm wasting my time

You're right, Harbaugh sucks.

45 minutes ago, agarcia34 said:

Most of the teams in the NFL don’t take the Rooney rule serious. This is why it was dumb for the Raiders to not do interviews the past two weeks when the window opened up for them. Should have used that time to interview coaches so when the season was over you can make your move. 

They'll probably do the same thing that they did with Gruden. We announced that we were hiring him without announcing who else we had interviewed but Reggie told the NFL they had already interviewed 2 minority candidates. I'm assuming an interview with Rich as a formality would satisfy the Rooney Rule while also being a nice gesture to him for what he did this year.