Rams @ Packers (Divisional Round Rematch)

stl4life07

3 minutes ago, LeotheLion said:

I think McVay sensed the Stafford didn't have it so he wanted to take a little off his plate. I agree, the passing game had people open all day to move the ball but it clearly wasn't effective due to the inaccuracies. 

We miss Akers that can create a bit more on the ground. I think Michel would have ran it a bit better yesterday too. 

I also wanted to see more Michel. Henderson has the big play possibility, but Michel doesn't take negative yards. Good for a solid 3-5 every play.

11 minutes ago, BStanRamFan said:

The Rams offense last few years lacked explosive plays. People who didn't like this trade, blamed it on the personnel and the playcalling, while others blamed Goff. Through Weeks 1-7, the Rams offense was explosive, even last night we had two TD's of 50+ yards. What this team lacks now is an ability to play from behind. Part of the reason we're finding this out is because of Stafford's turnovers dig us in a whole early. Difference between Stafford and Goff in that regard, we saw last night we still had a chance get back into the game and win with explosive plays. We never had that with Goff when we got behind, the game was over instantly. 

Yes, we are in Superbowl or bust mode, but it's been that way since 2019 when we mortgaged our future picks on Ramsey. It's certainly been amplified with the Stafford trade, but was always there. I don't care about the picks. I don't want a rookie QB learning for 2-3 years while we waste AD and Ramsey's prime. And if we're talking about emotions and feelings, I still feel we can win games with Stafford, even when we're behind. I never felt that way with Goff, but again, this is if we're talking about our feelings.

What I do agree on is that Stafford's turnovers and inaccuracy are a problem and need to be corrected because we cannot win games playing from behind. The team just isn't built that way. Need an ILB in the worst way. Travin Howard/Michah Kiser would be of use right now.

Complete and total nonsense. And no, I don't care about feelings. Stafford's ability to hit the deep ball is a difference. But his issues stringing together methodical drives have been causing major problems of late. He needs to be more consistent and accurate. 

2 minutes ago, jrry32 said:

Complete and total nonsense. And no, I don't care about feelings. Stafford's ability to hit the deep ball is a difference. But his issues stringing together methodical drives have been causing major problems of late. He needs to be more consistent and accurate. 

🤣No no, this is time for my feelings jrry. You had yours.

At least we can agree Stafford needs to play better.

2 minutes ago, BStanRamFan said:

🤣No no, this is time for my feelings jrry. You had yours.

At least we can agree Stafford needs to play better.

"This trade was a good thing because now I feel we can make a comeback when we're down." Sorry, dude, but that's not a good argument. Stafford needs to step it up. We've gone all in on the season. And we didn't do that expecting him to play like 2020 Goff over the last three weeks.

11 minutes ago, jrry32 said:

"This trade was a good thing because now I feel we can make a comeback when we're down." Sorry, dude, but that's not a good argument. Stafford needs to step it up. We've gone all in on the season. And we didn't do that expecting him to play like 2020 Goff over the last three weeks.

Jared Goff 2020 Through 12 Games: 17 TD's 10 INT 3372 Passing Yards 7-4

Matt Stafford 2021 Through 12 Games: 27 TD 9INT 3316 Passing Yards 7-4

One had the best ranked defense in the NFL. The other is middle of the pack at best.

Stafford needs to play better, but we need to live in reality if we're going to start bringing up Goff as soon as things get rough. Let's look at the differences as a whole instead of looking at Stafford through a microscope. Stafford is making poor decisions and being inaccurate. Is it injury related? Does he magically turn into a pumpkin when it becomes November? Did we lose Robert Woods for 2 of the last 3? Did Andrew Whitworth finally start showing his age? Are we losing the time of possession battle because we can't get off the field on 3rd down and now Stafford is playing catch up while VJ has a catch rate of 50%, 43%, 43% and 31% over the last 4 games? 

Be objective. All that I ask. 

Edited by BStanRamFan

58 minutes ago, BStanRamFan said:

We were balanced until we got down by 19 in the 4th. Playcalling is not the issue. It's execution. Stafford missing open guys (injury?), VJ dropping balls or getting hit in the F'n face. Losing the turn over battle. Inability to protect the middle of the field. It's a laundry list, but playcalling isn't on that list for me.

Yesterday was one of the better called games, but that doesn't mean it was good. Aside of one Kupp pass play, it was the same vanilla offense we've seen most of the season.

Not to mention, how do you justify handing it to the RB if you're going for it on 4th and 1 from your side of the field? Either sneak it or punt it, it's not rocket science. 

6 minutes ago, BStanRamFan said:

Jared Goff 2020 Through 12 Games: 17 TD's 10 INT 3372 Passing Yards 7-4

Matt Stafford 2021 Through 12 Games: 27 TD 9INT 3316 Passing Yards 7-4

One had the best ranked defense in the NFL. The other is middle of the pack at best.

Stafford needs to play better, but we need to live in reality if we're going to start bringing up Goff as soon as things get rough. Let's look at the differences as a whole instead of looking at Stafford through a microscope. Stafford is making poor decisions and being inaccurate. Is it injury related? Does he magically turn into a pumpkin when it becomes November? Did we lose Robert Woods for 2 of the last 3? Did Andrew Whitworth finally start showing his age? Are we losing the time of possession battle because we can't get off the field on 3rd down and now Stafford is playing catch up while VJ has a catch rate of 50%, 43%, 43% and 31% over the last 4 games? 

Be objective. All that I ask. 

We didn't trade what we did for Stafford to be in the same position. Blaming Whitworth, Van Jefferson, etc. doesn't change our reality. We gave up a lot for Stafford to take us further than Goff, to win us a Super Bowl. I don't care if it's injury related. That was a risk we took when we made the trade. He needs to step it up.

1 minute ago, JonStark said:

Yesterday was one of the better called games, but that doesn't mean it was good. Aside of one Kupp pass play, it was the same vanilla offense we've seen most of the season.

Not to mention, how do you justify handing it to the RB if you're going for it on 4th and 1 from your side of the field? Either sneak it or punt it, it's not rocket science. 

I would have ran Michel there or punted. That was a big one for me watching live. 

1 minute ago, jrry32 said:

We didn't trade what we did for Stafford to be in the same position. Blaming Whitworth, Van Jefferson, etc. doesn't change our reality. We gave up a lot for Stafford to take us further than Goff, to win us a Super Bowl. I don't care if it's injury related. That was a risk we took when we made the trade. He needs to step it up.

We're scoring more PPG. Stafford was holding up his end of the bargain until the last 3 weeks. However, over those last 3 weeks, we're seeing our defense get owned in TOP, eaten up over the middle of the field, and can't stop the run game. 

My concern is his turnovers. I can't figure out the root cause. Is it injury? Is it the the playcalling? Does he legit just choke in November? Did the Robert Woods injury really shake the lockerroom? Has the hype of Von Miller and ODB gotten to their heads? I truly don't know. What I do know is, Stafford's poor play isn't the only thing that's keeping this team from winning the last 3 weeks. 

Just now, BStanRamFan said:

We're scoring more PPG. Stafford was holding up his end of the bargain until the last 3 weeks. However, over those last 3 weeks, we're seeing our defense get owned in TOP, eaten up over the middle of the field, and can't stop the run game. 

My concern is his turnovers. I can't figure out the root cause. Is it injury? Is it the the playcalling? Does he legit just choke in November? Did the Robert Woods injury really shake the lockerroom? Has the hype of Von Miller and ODB gotten to their heads? I truly don't know. What I do know is, Stafford's poor play isn't the only thing that's keeping this team from winning the last 3 weeks. 

We are getting owned in time of possession because Stafford cannot sustain drives due to his inaccuracies. Green Bay had 2 drives yesterday longer than 3:30. Granted they were 7+ minutes each but they only resulted in 7 points total. 

• Like 1

Time of possession has a huge effect on the game.

It's almost impossible to win in a game where your TOP is close to 20 mins to the opponents 40, as it was with the Packers. How you go about fixing that I'll leave to Rams fans who understand the minutiae of their team.

Edited by OneTwoSixFive

2 minutes ago, LeotheLion said:

We are getting owned in time of possession because Stafford cannot sustain drives due to his inaccuracies. Green Bay had 2 drives yesterday longer than 3:30. Granted they were 7+ minutes each but they only resulted in 7 points total. 

Two drives ate up 15+min of a 60min game. 25% of the game. And Stafford had a drive that was 47 seconds that ended in 7 points.

7 minutes ago, BStanRamFan said:

And unsurprisingly, I wasn't lamenting the trade when he was holding up his end of the bargain. But we made this trade because Goff was giving games away with his inconsistencies and turnovers. Stafford is running into the same issues now. I hope the Jaguars allow him to get right and return to where he was earlier in the year. I care more about this team winning than anything. But the caliber of play over the last three weeks is unacceptable.

1 minute ago, OneTwoSixFive said:

Time of possession has a huge effect on the game.

It's almost impossible to win in a game where your TOP is close to 20 mins to the opponents 40 as it was with the Packers. How you go about fixing that I'll leave to Rams fans who understand the minutiae of their team.

It's about consistency and taking what the defense is giving you. Stafford has to hit the easy throws so that we aren't so reliant on big plays. We need to be able to move the ball methodically.