Trey Lances devolopment (it failed)

49erurtaza

4 minutes ago, 49erurtaza said:

His fear about Trey having a few games throwing bad interceptions isn't anything different than Jimmy doing that in the past. Interceptions aren't the fear IMO unless he has a 3-5 interception game. 

The INTs aren't the main point of his comments, I don't think. I think it's bad interceptions and not winning. Its more than that. I mean, if he throws the worst interceptions on the planet every other game and the team is kicking *** and he's otherwise playing well, I don't think that's a big deal at all. I would imagine that the spirit of his comments resides what are the results of these mistakes in terms of the wins and losses. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Forge said:

The INTs aren't the main point of his comments, I don't think. I think it's bad interceptions and not winning. It's more than that. I mean, if he throws the worst interceptions on the planet every other game and the team is kicking *** and he's otherwise playing well, I don't think that's a big deal at all. I would imagine that the spirit of his comments resides what are the results of these mistakes in terms of the wins and losses. 

Agreed, end of the day if they are winning it won't matter. Which is exactly what im expecting to happen. 

Just now, 49erurtaza said:

Agreed, end of the day if they are winning it won't matter. Which is exactly what im expecting to happen. 

Correct. Ultimately, his play is the end all be all. I mean, if he sucks, he sucks. And if he comes out and he's 2012 Kaep? LFG, baby!  But it's a crazy tight rope that Shanny is trying to walk here and you know, if Lance is struggling, it's not like I can hate on him (or the team) if they want to make a switch. Here to win games, and I want to win and you want to win and everyone wants to win.

But at the same time, I feel for Lance if that does happen because I think he was always going to be swingy his first year and I fear that some of that elasticity is being taken away, so to speak. 

1 minute ago, Forge said:

Correct. Ultimately, his play is the end all be all. I mean, if he sucks, he sucks. And if he comes out and he's 2012 Kaep? LFG, baby!  But it's a crazy tight rope that Shanny is trying to walk here and you know, if Lance is struggling, it's not like I can hate on him (or the team) if they want to make a switch. Here to win games, and I want to win and you want to win and everyone wants to win.

But at the same time, I feel for Lance if that does happen because I think he was always going to be swingy his first year and I fear that some of that elasticity is being taken away, so to speak. 

Big reason why I didn't want Jimmy back. Don't even give that option to the locker room and Kyle lol. 

• Like 2

14 hours ago, Forge said:

I mean, I think 2012 Kaep is a reasonable comparison. People associate 2012 Kaep with his playoff push and the flashy (but not passing volume heavy) games against the Patriots and Bears, but Kaep was really struggling and hanging on in others. Really rough Rams games. 8.3 ypa is kind of right in line with what I expect from Lance. Most Shanahan QBs are about 8 and Lance really stretches the ADoT to make up for other shortcomings. 62% completions might be a touch high, but it is difficult to tell from our limited data set on Lance. We've got preseason tape and practice tape where Lance might not be playing with in-game conservatism and 1 game where he was injured and a relief appearance and 1 game where he was pretty good. 1.4% int rate would also be a breath of fresh air. Again, with Lance it is super hard to tell how that will go. He was quite good at avoiding ints in college. The low sack rate probably holds. That 2012 team ground it out the last few weeks to win the division and make the playoffs. I think it will be similar here. 

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, JIllg said:

I mean, I think 2012 Kaep is a reasonable comparison. People associate 2012 Kaep with his playoff push and the flashy (but not passing volume heavy) games against the Patriots and Bears, but Kaep was really struggling and hanging on in others. Really rough Rams games. 8.3 ypa is kind of right in line with what I expect from Lance. Most Shanahan QBs are about 8 and Lance really stretches the ADoT to make up for other shortcomings. 62% completions might be a touch high, but it is difficult to tell from our limited data set on Lance. We've got preseason tape and practice tape where Lance might not be playing with in-game conservatism and 1 game where he was injured and a relief appearance and 1 game where he was pretty good. 1.4% int rate would also be a breath of fresh air. Again, with Lance it is super hard to tell how that will go. He was quite good at avoiding ints in college. The low sack rate probably holds. That 2012 team ground it out the last few weeks to win the division and make the playoffs. I think it will be similar here. 

I mean Kap only struggled against the Rams and the Seahawks. He was very good to good in the other games, not including the playoffs where he was DAMN good. 

Lance will be fine. He's going to have some misses and moments of inconsistency, but the defense will give the offense plenty of chances to win the game and Lance will end up making some big plays to seal some wins. The run offense is going to be scary good. The run game along with the elite defense will keep this team in the divisional race until Lance gets his feet under him and then the ceiling is a Super Bowl. 

1 minute ago, J-ALL-DAY said:

I mean Kap only struggled against the Rams and the Seahawks. He was very good to good in the other games, not including the playoffs where he was DAMN good. 

Lance will be fine. He's going to have some misses and moments of inconsistency, but the defense will give the offense plenty of chances to win the game and Lance will end up making some big plays to seal some wins. The run offense is going to be scary good. The run game along with the elite defense will keep this team in the divisional race until Lance gets his feet under him and then the ceiling is a Super Bowl. 

Agree to disagree on Kaep. The Seahawks, Dolphins, and two Rams games made up 4 of the 8 games after the bye. All of those were rough, even if the defense dominated so thoroughly against the Dolphins that it didn't matter. It's kind of shades of one thing and another anyways. My meaning is that Lance will flash and frustrate and impress while steering a talented ship in a similar way. And be capable at least of the spectacular when the competition ramps up.

11 minutes ago, JIllg said:

Agree to disagree on Kaep. The Seahawks, Dolphins, and two Rams games made up 4 of the 8 games after the bye. All of those were rough, even if the defense dominated so thoroughly against the Dolphins that it didn't matter. It's kind of shades of one thing and another anyways. My meaning is that Lance will flash and frustrate and impress while steering a talented ship in a similar way. And be capable at least of the spectacular when the competition ramps up.

I mean the first Rams game was not a start of his. I was just talking about the starts. The offense got off to a slow start vs the Dolphins but did fine in the second half. I'm not how that was a rough performance by Kap? A great one? No, but not a bad game either. Offense scored 27 points with Kap having a YPA of 8 with a 50 yard TD run. If you want to say the inability to convert 3rd downs was a reason for the rough game, that's fine but overall he was still solid. The two starts that were bad were the Rams and Seahawks games. If Lance has THAT type of impact with those types of performances, then this team is winning the SB. Because even if you say the Dolphins game was bad for Kap, he completed 78% of his passes, had a YPA of over 8 and had 53 rushing yards. 

Edited by J-ALL-DAY
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, J-ALL-DAY said:

I mean the first Rams game was not a start of his. I was just talking about the starts. The offense got off to a slow start vs the Dolphins but did fine in the second half. I'm not how that was a rough performance by Kap? A great one? No, but not a bad game either. Offense scored 27 points with Kap having a YPA of 8 with a 50 yard TD run. If you want to say the inability to convert 3rd downs was a reason for the rough game, that's fine but overall he was still fine. The two starts that were bad were the Rams and Seahawks games. If Lance has THAT type of impact with those types of performances, then this team is winning the SB. Because even if you say the Dolphins game was bad for Kap, he completed 78% of his passes, had a YPA of over 8 and had 53 rushing yards. 

All fair points. 

• Like 1

57 minutes ago, NcFinest9erFan said:

lol when he said that comment about Michael Silver.

That was sooo good. 

It is funny because it is true. I said earlier that Silver basically regurgitated other beat writer reports and sensationalized them for clicks. 

Calling him Silver medal because he gets things second is hilarious for that reason. 

Allbright is the man. 

• Like 4