Trey Lances devolopment (it failed)

49erurtaza

5 minutes ago, 49erurtaza said:

At this point, im amazed how crazy this whole situation keeps getting. Lol hard to not just laugh. 

I generally get these things from both angles. 

Go out, have your fun. I get it. I don't much care. Not sure how often things like that portend greatness though lol

....but I also get people who do not like the optics of it at all and don't want a QB doing that during the season (I haven't seen anyone say when this actually happened, just saw the video posted) 

3 hours ago, Forge said:

Oh, sure. But this team hasn't really earned my trust when it comes to drafting early anyway. They seem to be dedicated to botching it whenever possible lol. 

Seriously....this regime's history in the first two rounds...woof, man. 2019 was an outlier, and I won't even give them credit for Nick Bosa who was the best player in the draft and only wasn't taken as such because of the QB position. If it weren't for Fred Warner, you could even extend this until round 3. Some of this can still turn around (Kinlaw and Aiyuk are far from finished products at this juncture, though I think it's unlikely Aiyuk ever makes the trade up worth it, even if he makes his selection at that draft slot worth it), but not pretty so far. 

This team's draft pedigree is living off what they have found in the later rounds and as UDFAs 

Holler Emmy Awards GIF by Emmys

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, John232 said:

Cowherds gonna be raging. 

I think it's my favorite part of this. Sometimes, he can be very entertaining, even if his opinions are about 61.37% of Stephen A Smith (In Cowherds defense though, I feel like he's far better at making his BS seem like the correct take) 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, 49ersfan said:

Twitter & 49erswebzone are a cesspool. DraftCountdown used to be OK a long time ago but its dead now. YouTube is just hot takes or people veering too far one way (Lombardi) or another (Cohn). Reddit has almost no substantive discussion, feels like its just memes.

This forum is easily the best place to talk 49ers. 

49ers.com message boards were the only other forum i liked to discuss 49ers, but they closed down a few years ago. Its a shame 

DraftCountdown was a great 49er community before Scott Wright removed his name and the site shutdown for a couple of years. That's when I started coming over here more. 

.com boards was the OG of Niner fandom on the internet for me. We're talking back in the AOL dial-up days lol. They transitioned over to 49erfaithfulforum.com. I stick my head in every now & again...

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Ftn49 said:

If I'm remembering the discussion correctly it kind of centered around the thought that Williams was the better player, Bosa the bigger need. I'm sure there was more to it but that's the simplified version.

I preferred Williams because I thought his ceiling was higher. I never doubted Bosa was going to be a good. But I thought about having Williams next to Buckner (didnt think we would re-sign AA) and the havoc it would cause for the foreseeable future. I wanted Williams in the first and I wanted to go after a guy like Maxx Crosby or Winovich in the 3rd or 4th. 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Forge said:

Oh, sure. But this team hasn't really earned my trust when it comes to drafting early anyway. They seem to be dedicated to botching it whenever possible lol. 

Seriously....this regime's history in the first two rounds...woof, man. 2019 was an outlier, and I won't even give them credit for Nick Bosa who was the best player in the draft and only wasn't taken as such because of the QB position. If it weren't for Fred Warner, you could even extend this until round 3. Some of this can still turn around (Kinlaw and Aiyuk are far from finished products at this juncture, though I think it's unlikely Aiyuk ever makes the trade up worth it, even if he makes his selection at that draft slot worth it), but not pretty so far. 

This team's draft pedigree is living off what they have found in the later rounds and as UDFAs 

Aiyuk and Deebo and Bosa, who agree, shouldn’t count, are their best early day picks. everything else is peddling mediocrity (Mcglinchey) our supreme bust of the highest order (Solly, Foster, Pettis). It’s actually amazing they’ve maintained an elite talent level by virtue of late round picks, bargain bin deals, and udfa.  The fact that they have league wide appeal and they hit late picks is 100% their saving grace.

when it came out after their first draft that they didn’t evaluTe QBs AT ALL, i knew it was a red flag.

and this should also be at yorks feet too: dude runs this team, he’s not new anymore, you should recognize and tell your staff to do something with scouting QBs when it comes to them being literal faces of the NFl if they work.

as i’ve gotten older and spent time in a faang company, i’m absolutely convinced some of these people in prestige public jobs are far dumber or oblivious than their org would let on. I genuinely think this forum would do a better job. it’s really not rocket science and they keep messing it up.

Edited by John232
  • Like 5

On 9/14/2022 at 9:14 PM, John232 said:

To then pull the plug after 6 games would forever sour me on him, loser ****. On top of the ultra conservative play calling. Brilliant offensive kind, guys play hard for him but his clear stubbornness is gonna doom this team

Lets not make assumptions about what will happen this weekend, let alone 6 weeks from now, but I am with you in the sense that I fear Kyle's conservative nature can really hold us back this year. 

Last year it didnt feel like Kyle really got out of his conservative ways until we were 3-5 with our backs against the wall. I really dont want to be in that position again. 

It is definitely possible that Kyle has not completely bought into the idea Lance can handle the full workload. In that case it would probably feel like he is calling plays with one hand behind his back to a degree. Thats not good.

I keep asking Kyle to just let the kid let it rip. The houston game last year was a great example. Kyle tried to hide him early in the game and just assumed that we would be able to move the ball on the ground. Well, it wasnt working and everything on offense was very clunky.

Once we went into the 2m offense right before the half kyle basically had no choice but to trust Lance a little bit, and what happened? The kid got in a rhythm and never looked back. I thought the lightbulb came on right then and I thought Kyle finally started to trust the kid to throw the ball a little bit more. 

I need to see Kyle take the plunge and just air the ball out. Let's start this game fast. Trey's first start in college, the coach immediately called a deep shot. I felt like that was a big confidence boost for him and it let him really settle into who he is as a player and play with confidence. Stop telling him to be perfect or to only execute your offense, let the kid be the baller he was born to be. 

I would rather go down swinging than wait all damn game to try and only land a handful of punches. Seems like Kyle really wants things to be absolutely perfect, and that is just not feasible at this point in time. 

I also fear Kyle's conservative nature will be an issue with how our RBs split snaps until EM comes back. He trusts JWjr, and he trusts Deebo, but I really think we need to mix in one of TDP and Jordan Mason to handle touches.

It's too early to give deebo 8 carries a game, it's just not super sustainable over the 20-21 game run that we all hope they make. Save that for December and January. I am not saying to not hand the ball to him, just that we shouldnt feel pressured to give him more carries than necessary just because we lack other options when we literally have two healthy RBs in their early 20s sitting right there. 

I like JWjr, but he looked cooked last year, and looked bad against the bears. The footing was bad, so I get that, and he did look solid enough during the preseason but we really cant lean on him to be RB1 for two months if that means 20 touches a game. He just isnt built for it. 

It is similar to having a back end starter in baseball that eats innings. Sometimes you just need guys to eat innings, even if their ERA is ~4. 

TDP and Jordan Mason arent going to be perfect, but damnit they are healthy, and Kyle needs to not try and control every single aspect of how they play to the point it means they dont see the field. I will be pretty pissed off if neither of these guys get a serious shot this weekend against Seattle. 

Until it happens, its hard for me to be mad about it, but it feels super likely given the "both guys need to grow up fast" comment that there is 0 trust in either guy for the time being. Which is so frustrating.

There is a lot that goes into playing RB in the NFL, but at some point you just need to set up guys for success by asking them to do what you know they can do, even if they cant do everything you would like them to do. Being a work in progress is ok at RB because for the most part you can either carry the rock or you cant. But nope, Kyle will probably work deebo into the ground and bang his head against the wall with JWjr just because he has trust issues. 

With all that being said, I am not going to assume that any of this happens, but it is certainly a large risk factor at this point in time, and I really will be absolutely PISSED if we have another healthy third round RB on the bench while getting minimal out of our starting RB, that we are just working into the ground. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, gridirongorilla said:

Don’t care much either way, but this probably isn’t a good look for Trey in the middle of season after a loss. 

Pretty sure it was during the offseason.

Let's not forget, Frank Gore, Joe Staley and a few others went to a strip club in NO a day or two before the superbowl.... 

• Like 2

13 hours ago, 757-NINER said:

.com boards was the OG of Niner fandom on the internet for me. We're talking back in the AOL dial-up days lol. They transitioned over to 49erfaithfulforum.com. I stick my head in every now & again...

Folks were a lot more brash and hostile with their opinions back in those days on that board, but that was message boards in general. Oof. Draftcountdown was a bit better when I went there.