Trey Lances devolopment (it failed)

49erurtaza

2 hours ago, Herodreamer79 said:

You have to wonder if Shanahan would have done the same thing to Pat Mahomes as he did to RG3 and Lance and Garoppolo... 

all 3 of those guys were damaged goods at best within 2 years of playing for him. 

Long list of RBs as well

Shanahan can give all the snarky answers he wants but someone posted this earlier i forget where i saw it.  

Lance was avg 12.3 carries per game and was on pace again Sunday. 

Allen has 12+ carries just 5 times in 62 games.  

And Allen has like 20 pounds on Lance. 

Edited by Herodreamer79

2 hours ago, John232 said:

So I posted this to reddit, it’s trending in the 49ers reddit and Grant Cohn has picked it up. Media latching into this. good job us, we’re **** stirring!

I think the end of the day Kyle was thinking about winning over developing Lance right now. Having Jimmy as protection in case Lance gets hurt decided to use Lance's running ability instead of struggling with Lance throwing the ball. Right or wrong puts us in a bad spot long-term for Lance. 

4 hours ago, Herodreamer79 said:

Shanahan can give all the snarky answers he wants but someone posted this earlier i forget where i saw it.  

Lance was avg 12.3 carries per game and was on pace again Sunday. 

Allen has 12+ carries just 5 times in 62 games.  

And Allen has like 20 pounds on Lance. 

One thing that really put the number of carries in perspective is when you think about how Kaep only averaged 5.3 carries per game between 2012 and 2013. Lance was averaging more than twice that. That's....substantial. 

• Like 3

Curious, do we know how long of a waiting process until Trey could start “training?” I’m just thinking ahead - do we know if Kyle mentioned to go train with Jordan Palmer or anything along those lines. I would support it and since Kyle keeps comparing Allen to Trey, Allen trained with Jordan in the off-season. Get the early training in once he’s able to move around. 

7 minutes ago, StevenK said:

Curious, do we know how long of a waiting process until Trey could start “training?” I’m just thinking ahead - do we know if Kyle mentioned to go train with Jordan Palmer or anything along those lines. I would support it and since Kyle keeps comparing Allen to Trey, Allen trained with Jordan in the off-season. Get the early training in once he’s able to move around. 

Pretty sure its a few months 

24 minutes ago, Forge said:

I really do feel like Kyle didn't trust Lance this year to play. AT least not throwing the ball. 

I also feel like Kyle has trusted maybe like 3 guys in his history of coaching to throw the ball when things are on the line. And that’s a maybe. It could just be Cousins and Ryan if you don’t count Garoppolo or Schaub. The guy is both fascinated with and terrified by loss of control imo. 

• Like 3

Now that there’s no QB controversy to keep us busy, can I just be the first to suggest we sign Kaep? I looked but couldn’t find any articles suggesting this. I mean it makes sense. Similar physical attributes as Lance so plug n play for the offense.  The #2 guy right now is Mr Irrelevant, so not exactly a tried and true back up. Smart money’s on Jimmy getting hurt at some point, so someone’s gonna need to jump in. Homecoming for Kaep to the place he was once loved. I mean, the story kind of writes itself. 

I truly believe Kaep is around the 247th best QB in the world, so I’ll say a prayer to Baby Jesus this doesn’t happen even if Jimmy and Purdy go missing, but surprised I didn’t see anyone suggesting it so thought I’d jump right in and be the first. 

I am just going to be the first person to go out and actually say it.  

Does this feel like a snow job to anyone else? Who calls QB power unless you are trying to get your guy hurt.  It's like Kyle was trying to move to Jimmy G on purpose, without having to make the call.

I am not worried about the season, now that Lance is down I don't feel much about the season.  I lost a lot of the anxiety that he would play poorly and sink the ship, but I also lost a lot of the excitement that he could prop this franchise up and provide an improvement.  Realistically, Lance was about the only true impactful improvement I could hope for.  Having the new ward is certainly better, but losing Laken Tomlinson and Mack cancels that out.  This team wasn't good enough to win it all the last two times we took JimmyG to the postseason, I don't know that we are significantly better than 2019 or 2021's teams. 

This roster is stacked, but there are loaded rosters out there that have MVP caliber QB's.  I know this makes the team better now, but it is not about being the champion of week 2, it is about winning in the playoffs.  The Shannahans have never developed a QB they drafted.  At least not one that I could think of.  I suppose Cousins counts, but most of the QB's they have had success with were highly talented vets that other people drafted.

I am not always convinced having 2QB's is better than having one.  I am glad JG is here, but I really wish they hadn't allowed the situation to play out as it did.  What a waste of assets on all fronts.

• Like 1

We made 2 key mistakes and everything else has been based off that

Mistake 1 - Not drafting Mahomes in 2017. Not even scouting Mahomes or any of the QB's that draft class, apparently. wtf?  Although there's a chance we would have liked Watson more, and we dodged a bullet not drafting him. 

Mistake 2 - Not signing Brady in 2020. We get at least 1 ring by now and are favorites in the NFC this year too. Not signing Brady leads us to keep Jimmy, he plays mediocre and is hurt, we trade up for Lance (which is currently looking like a disaster) and now we have a huge question mark from 2023 going forward

9 hours ago, Steve_DeBerg_Fan_420 said:

I am just going to be the first person to go out and actually say it.  

Does this feel like a snow job to anyone else? Who calls QB power unless you are trying to get your guy hurt.  It's like Kyle was trying to move to Jimmy G on purpose, without having to make the call.

LOL, why exactly would Shanahan do that? Lance is Shanny's guy through and through and he knows his success or lack of success will ultimately determine his legacy in SF. You can question calling the amount of QB power runs every game but it has been a very effective play and we just got unfortunate luck on a DL rolling into his ankle. 

5 minutes ago, 49ersfan said:

We made 2 key mistakes and everything else has been based off that

Mistake 1 - Not drafting Mahomes in 2017. Not even scouting Mahomes or any of the QB's that draft class, apparently. wtf?  Although there's a chance we would have liked Watson more, and we dodged a bullet not drafting him. 

Mistake 2 - Not signing Brady in 2020. We get at least 1 ring by now and are favorites in the NFC this year too. Not signing Brady leads us to keep Jimmy, he plays mediocre and is hurt, we trade up for Lance (which is currently looking like a disaster) and now we have a huge question mark from 2023 going forward

Sure, getting Mahomes or even Watson would have been great in 2017 and obviously signing Brady in 2020 would have been great. But Lance looking like a disaster is due to him suffering this injury? It's football, injuries happen. We are not going to get any benefit of Lance being on a rookie deal which sucks, but the FO has found a way to keep majority of the talent and still have a loaded roster. No doubt Lance is going to be a question mark going into the 2023 season, but there is nothing we can do about it. Not like the rest of the 2021 QB class is killing it either. Lawrence had a very good week 2 but was not good in week 1 and Wilson is hurt, Mac looks average and Fields doesn't look great himself. Then you look at someone like Hurts who has made MAJOR strides in year 3 and possibly even Tua. Just give these guys time and see what they are and what they are not. 

• Like 2

I see 3 options for 2023

1. Trade Lance to a team that liked him a lot in the draft, such as the Colts. Let Jimmy G walk. Trade for Cousins and maybe target a mid round rookie. Heck, the Vikings might be dissatisfied enough with Cousins to attach a decent pick for us to take on his contract. And Shanny won't care because Cousins is his guy.

2. Keep Jimmy G and let go of Lance. I'd only keep Jimmy G if we win a SB. 

3. Keep Lance as the starter and sign Tyler Huntley or Matt Ryan to compete and/or be a high end up backup. Huntley has upside and Ryan has experience with Shanny. Please stay away from Mayfield, Darnold, Jones, Brisset, Bridgewater (fringe starters/good backup type guys). 

Like I've said before...no scenario in my mind where Lance is the unquestioned starter and we go into the season with Purdy/Sudfeld/whoever as a backup. Lance is too unproven and injury prone to be given the reins. Which means it might make more sense to just cut our losses and move on.