Trey Lances devolopment (it failed)

49erurtaza

The thing is Kyle can say Lance is out for the season but if he does recover quicker than expected, then there is nothing against the rules to bringing him back if he is ready. Shanny can then just say he didn't think there was any chance Lance was going to return but his recovery went great and now he is ready and available to go. 

• Like 1

We will never get to see what he was setting up, because the set up got his QB killed.  Lance was taking punishment out there, he was not avoiding contact in any way. Then after seeing Lance get knocked around, we see more of the same for a quarter and a half until Lance gets hurt.  If the coach was concerned with his QB's health, it might be a good idea to teach him to protect himself as a runner. Now that poor strategy has already gotten his QB1 hurt, it is time to show an abundance of caution with his health?  

Coaches usually say as little as possible when it comes to injuries.  I suppose if Trey heals early Coach can call him up, but everything added together seems really suspect.  Either very poor planning, or a last minute change of heart, or there is just something going on here that we nor the media know about.

It feels like Trey had a competition with the expected outcome with Garoppolo at the helm, and lost.  Nothing about the handling of Trey adds up.  First "it's football and you can't avoid injury."  Then, after he gets injured, it's "well we are concerned about preventing further injury, even though it is still way too early to determine a time table."  I can only guess their intentions, but the results were pretty bad.  

I think that if Garoppolo was not in the building, the team would not have ran the ball with Lance as much.  He should have been coached to hand the ball off more on the zone reads, get down before taking contact, and slide.  

We would have seen forced development in the short passing game and screen game, and it might have gotten ugly.  There may have been a couple of pick 6's or even a couple of losses to inferior opponents, but there would have been development, or at least more clarity.  With Garoppolo as the back up, Shanahan can feel more comfortable attacking the two deep safties with QB death runs. 

Edited by Steve_DeBerg_Fan_420

1 hour ago, J-ALL-DAY said:

The thing is Kyle can say Lance is out for the season but if he does recover quicker than expected, then there is nothing against the rules to bringing him back if he is ready. Shanny can then just say he didn't think there was any chance Lance was going to return but his recovery went great and now he is ready and available to go. 

Yep, and he is able to practice for two weeks while being on IR before he either must be activated or remain on IR for the rest of the year.

So, if he is healthy week 15/16, let him practice against the gold standard of defenses, and then go from there. 

Also, if we make a deep playoff run, it increases the chances he will get some practice reps

1 hour ago, N4L said:

Yep, and he is able to practice for two weeks while being on IR before he either must be activated or remain on IR for the rest of the year.

So, if he is healthy week 15/16, let him practice against the gold standard of defenses, and then go from there. 

Also, if we make a deep playoff run, it increases the chances he will get some practice reps

I think Shanny learned his lesson from 2020. This is essentially to just protect Lance and not have fans believing he will be returning and then being disappointed if he doesn't return this season. Shanny handled that question exactly how he should have. 

• Like 1

On 9/22/2022 at 1:04 PM, J-ALL-DAY said:

I think Shanny learned his lesson from 2020. This is essentially to just protect Lance and not have fans believing he will be returning and then being disappointed if he doesn't return this season. Shanny handled that question exactly how he should have. 

Shanny already back tracked lol

Hopefully Jimmy balls out and we can get that 3rd round comp for him in 2024.  It sucks that we couldn’t make that trade with Washington work because that comp pick looks to be the best we can do now since we can’t tag him. Oh well, let’s go all the way Jimmy! 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, GW21 said:

Hopefully Jimmy balls out and we can get that 3rd round comp for him in 2024.  It sucks that we couldn’t make that trade with Washington work because that comp pick looks to be the best we can do now since we can’t tag him. Oh well, let’s go all the way Jimmy! 

I mean, hindsight thank God we didn’t trade him. Although even though your season probably would have been over, something about Brock Purdy taking over in week two would have been really exciting to see. But yeah, definitely not getting back what we could have got if we had made a trade at the right time. 

15 minutes ago, straighthate said:

I mean, hindsight thank God we didn’t trade him. Although even though your season probably would have been over, something about Brock Purdy taking over in week two would have been really exciting to see. But yeah, definitely not getting back what we could have got if we had made a trade at the right time. 

Agreed, I’m glad we have him. Obviously those that frequent this board know I’m a Purdy fan, but I wouldn’t want him starting 15 games his rookie season in Shanahan’s offense. 

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

This might not be the spot for this but rather than create a whole new topic: Was Lance the better pick over Fields? From experience alone Fields was the better pick IMO. Lance didnt have a large enough sample size to say his floor is Fields ceiling. This is one pick that they have made that still doesnt sit right with me and now we have another year or two to wait to see what Lance can actually do.